are these guys affiliated with Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nick the Zombie

Re: are these guys affiliated with Ableton?

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:08 am

nuxnamon wrote:reverbibration process
Worth the price of entry alone.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:23 am

aqua_tek wrote:that's the epitome of catering to the lazy right there.

that's the scary part...there are going to be tons of bandwagon jumpers paying for this service and making a quick buck off of it...I guess you can't knock the hustle.

If you want someone else to do the work you might as well put their name in the credits.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:57 am

Nick the Zombie wrote:

warping for $ VS "sound design in ableton live" for $

some people don't know how to do stuff. people who know how to do that stuff might charge people $ to help them do that stuff. everybody wins!! ;)

(of course, I do agree that this particular site is worthy of mockery! and that therefore their knowledge of "doing stuff" maybe called into question... which in no way reflects upon your own endeavors.. but you might watch what's in your sig when you go making fun of people who are getting entrepreneurial on the ableton thing) ;)

because, believe me - (and not having looked at your content) - a certain percentage of the people who look at that banner are going to think "who the fuck is this douchebag"

it's only natural when one chooses inappropriate avenues of advertising (sorry, calling this one like I see it)

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:32 am

longjohns wrote: warping for $ VS "sound design in ableton live" for $

some people don't know how to do stuff. people who know how to do that stuff might charge people $ to help them do that stuff. everybody wins!! ;)

(of course, I do agree that this particular site is worthy of mockery! and that therefore their knowledge of "doing stuff" maybe called into question... which in no way reflects upon your own endeavors.. but you might watch what's in your sig when you go making fun of people who are getting entrepreneurial on the ableton thing) ;)

because, believe me - (and not having looked at your content) - a certain percentage of the people who look at that banner are going to think "who the fuck is this douchebag"

it's only natural when one chooses inappropriate avenues of advertising (sorry, calling this one like I see it)
I was acknowledging something funny that someone said in this thread, not criticizing the company being referenced in the first post. You might think that I'm somehow implicitly criticizing them by virtue of participating in this thread, but even that's stretching it. Also, that "certain percentage" of people that thing I'm a "douchebag" because I have a banner in my sig can continue to think so. People that aren't interested don't have to click on it, and I haven't hurt them in any way by making my product known.

- Nick
Last edited by Nick the Zombie on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:55 am

no, sorry that you are the first to catch crap for it

i did actually spend some time to locate the words which you quoted, on the website in question. I did not find it... so I apologize for not recognizing that you were quoting from this thread. edit: but yeah upon further consideration, I would still implicate you by association. I guess it's kind of like laughing at the racist joke instead of calling it out. we all do it from time to time. people suck.

I will stand by the fact that in general I wish that people did not advertise their shit on here. that would extend to people whom I've met in person, respect, and like as people... you know who you are.

a little anecdotal story - I can clearly remember the first time I saw an advertisement before a movie in a theater. it was for coca-cola. I really felt betrayed. I can remember several other times when I saw advertisements sneaking into new uncharted territories. on stadium walls, for example. now they are the names of the stadiums themselves. i'm actually pretty numb to it. sorry again that I gave you a hard time.
Last edited by longjohns on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:58 am

I was about to post some other antisocial crap but I think I'll go do some work instead! :wink:

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:01 am

longjohns wrote:no, sorry that you are the first to catch crap for it

i did actually spend some time to locate the words which you quoted, on the website in question. I did not find it... so I apologize for not recognizing that you were quoting from this thread.

I will stand by the fact that in general I wish that people did not advertise their shit on here. that would extend to people whom I've met in person, respect, and like as people... you know who you are.

a little anecdotal story - I can clearly remember the first time I saw an advertisement before a movie in a theater. it was for coca-cola. I really felt betrayed. I can remember several other times when I saw advertisements sneaking into new uncharted territories. on stadium walls, for example. now they are the names of the stadiums themselves. i'm actually pretty numb to it. sorry again that I gave you a hard time.
No worries, but I disagree with you about the advertising thing because I think it's an unfair comparison. One of many differences between me and Coca-Cola: They are pervasive to the point of being a household name, and can survive regardless of whether people see their mind-numbing commercials before a movie. I work in a very niche market, and if I'm going to survive as a business, I need to put it out there.

- Nick

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:06 am

longjohns wrote:no, sorry that you are the first to catch crap for it

i did actually spend some time to locate the words which you quoted, on the website in question. I did not find it... so I apologize for not recognizing that you were quoting from this thread.

this whole board is an advertisement for live and what you can do with it. Have you been drinking? I love the fact that people advertise all kinds of stuff on here.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:11 am

I've always been drinking. If I am not at work, that is. I have some sense of decency.

This is one of those occasions on which I've lost focus on why I spend time here. I used to hang out at other sites - but found myself getting frustrated with the world and wanting to post nasties. So, I decided that I might as well spend my internet time somewhere which at least had some sort of purpose. I had not really considered this forum as an advertisement for Ableton. Having read your post, I still don't. Mostly because quite a lot of the posts seem to be about having problems and complaining about this or that with the program. Also I cannot imagine that I'd ever visit here without already owning Live.

I have generally tried to limit my posting to suggestions about people's problems, bugs, etc. I have to draw a line and not read the feature request forum because all I want to do is tell people how they can workaround their requests, which is generally not received very well.
Last edited by longjohns on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:27 am

longjohns wrote:
Nick the Zombie wrote:

warping for $ VS "sound design in ableton live" for $

ok.. you've succeeded in making me feel guilty since I started this thread. . Honestly, when I first saw it, i actually thought it was a joke of some sort.. I mean Ableton and warping go hand in hand.. I figure who ever buys ableton would actually take the time and learn something so fundamental as warping.. I mean it's like buying some dj equipment and have someone beatmatch it for you.. To me it doesn't make sense.. But the economy is hard right now and more power to these guys for getting there hustle on.. Maybe there is a niche in the market for ableton users not knowing how to warp or don't have the time (maybe big dj's like tiesto or sasha who don't have time for such tasks).. I guess people who use DVS systems also can use the service if they have songs that don't have fixed or have fluctuating tempos and need that fixed.. But it seems it's advertised for ableton users.. This has inspired me to make my own company called REX'rUS for formating audio files into REX files so that people can use them for REASON and or drop them inside RMX.. I know it might sound stupid but, please consider the original subject at hand.. :D .. you guys can have my REX'rUS idea.. I'm too busy warping material to follow up on the idea

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:28 am

Sorry, longjohns, you may be one of the "old school" Ableton forum guys, but this high and mighty attitude is bull. You call it like you see it, and so do I.

It's one thing to be annoyed by INVASIVE advertisement, where the ad actually interrupts your "enjoyment" of a certain medium, like TV ads, or POP-UP ads in websites, the evil "talking" ads that say "congratulations, you've won an ipod nano", or some bullshit like that, and even the billboards and posters that kind of fugly up some structures. But what's so wrong about having a jpeg or gif image on a forum signature, or at the bottom of a blog post, or on some corner of a website, advertising one's services or music, etc? Does it REALLY bother you that much? Are you unable to just scroll past it, and continue reading? IMO, they're pretty easy to ignore.

Even the companies which you respect and love so much (including your beloved Ableton) depend on advertisement to generate sales. And some good, independent sites and blogs actually depend on companies to pay for ad space just to keep them afloat.

And us musicians also depend on "advertising" through the creation of self-promo threads... otherwise how will we get our peers to pay attention to your music (if we're not famous superstar producers/dj's just yet)? Anyways I'd think these threads are pretty easy to detect and ignore, if they bother you so much.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:26 am

yeah, and my posts are easy for you to ignore, if they bother you so much. Sometimes you just can't contain yourself!! Like me, before. And you, then. And me, now.

look, I've already spread plenty of apologies around on this one. I don't feel that everything I said was wrong. I stand by the principles. But the reason I was WRONG to post it was because it was done out of a mean spirit. I think I took a few deep breaths since then and have come out the other side. better luck next time.

am I the fanboy? I dunno, maybe. I think that overall the main reason i've bugged people on this board is because like I said above, I'm not much interested in reading people complain about how the program works. Figure out how to work with what you've got, I say. Of course there are things which I'd like to see changed LIKE DETACHABLE BROWSERS AHEM

p.s. where did I say I respect Ableton? those guys are jerks. except c. kleine. he always points out when I answer someone's question correctly. ;)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:33 am

I'm a bigger asshole than either of you, stfu. reading you two argue? wtf?!?!?

fucking n00bs. :roll:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:40 am

I think I wrote in some draft that I was having a Tone Deft moment

hell, I've edited these posts like a thousand times, I get all flustered

:oops: :oops:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:51 am

longjohns wrote:yeah, and my posts are easy for you to ignore, if they bother you so much.
touche' my friend. TOU-EFFIN-CHE