Analog and Virtual analag hardware synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
billy rockwell

Post by billy rockwell » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:18 pm

GrooveNinja wrote:
billy rockwell wrote:I have a lil phatty and don't find it limiting at all!
But you can't play chords.
True but for these purposes Operator suits my needs well.
E 6850 Core2Duo 3 Gig ddr2
Live8 Suite
Renoise
Moog Lil Phatty
APC 40
RME Fireface 400

http://balanced-records.com/billy_rockwell/
www.facebook.com/billyrockwell

xh9o

Re: Analog and Virtual analag hardware synths

Post by xh9o » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:21 pm

navitus wrote:....................or i could run my sofsynths through hi end preamps and comps. Whats a better route ?

this is definately not. the surface of the gain structure will be improved and the first days it will feel better, but after a while you only would realize that the digital and flat remains through all from somehwere behind the surface of the signal.

from your candidates i´d try it with an analog prophet, though i must say its just from read info not experience. i only know that the mfb synth II even in the light version (200 bucks) makes a very precious moogey bass.
Last edited by xh9o on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:21 pm

navitus wrote:Moog for Bass, Virus for the rest!!!!!
Sure, although the Virus does some wicked, nasty bass, too. If I had the money, I would probably have both, but I don't, so I have the Virus because it can do it all. Well, almost, so I have a good Roland stage piano for the rest.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:29 pm

wow, yet another coincidence...I sold my jp8080 and my virus c in the past two years. I do miss hardware, as software is just a bit harder to get that analog sound, but I don't miss them any more.

I have Sylenth1, which I run out of my computer, through a tube preamp, and back into the computer as audio. I get as good or better results as my virus, and I still have all the convenience of a vsti!

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:36 pm

Moogs sound great, but like GrooveNinja said, if you can only afford one synth, go for versatility. This is where the Virus excels. And its not like you're compromising sound quality, cause it also sounds great. So it's kind of a no-brainer.

"a moog is a moog, and anything else is just a toy" some would say, but i usually place those people in the same category as those who say protools is the be all, end all of music production software. :lol:

(and i do own protools - necessary evil... and i would love to have a moog someday, as well as a plethora of other hardware synths.)

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:57 pm

nebulae wrote:I have Sylenth1, which I run out of my computer, through a tube preamp, and back into the computer as audio. I get as good or better results as my virus, and I still have all the convenience of a vsti!

ha, ha. but ok, by listening to your music i must doubt you really hear where analog takes its value from.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:59 pm

xh9o wrote: ha, ha. but ok, by listening to your music i must doubt you really hear where analog takes its value from.
ha, ha. but ok, I've made music on analog tape using analog rolands probably from before you were born, so I must doubt that you know what the hell you're talking about.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:04 am

nebulae wrote:^ :lol: hey how about you post links to your music so I can trash it in turn

sorry, i haven´t recorded anything analog yet. i didn´t want to piss on you, its just to give your recommendations context and therefore make them less misleading. internet and truth, etc.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:08 am

nebulae wrote:I've made music on analog tape using analog rolands probably from before you were born, so I must doubt that you know what the hell you're talking about.

whatever you tried, it was not enough. and you´re not a good liar.
Last edited by xh9o on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:08 am

^ it's all good - I love a good fight

the truth is that any sound that you hear is analog...that's what sound is - it's air moving...

what moves the air is your speakers...what moves your speakers is electronic. Here's where I differ from purists:

I don't give a shit what moves the electronics that moves the speakers that moves the air. Not at all. All I care about is the sound I hear.

And after doing music for 17 years and putting out 13 albums that has spanned tape, analog synths, digital synths, samplers, virtual analog synths, and eventually DAWs and VSTis, I can honestly say that software can sound just as good as analog synths.

You're not pissing on me. You're just stating your opinion. And your opinion is just less valid than mine :)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:09 am

xh9o wrote:
nebulae wrote:I've made music on analog tape using analog rolands probably from before you were born, so I must doubt that you know what the hell you're talking about.

whatever you tried, it was not enough.
well since you haven't recorded anything yet, I suppose we'll all just have to take your word for it :)

Thanks for your opinion.

:lol:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:12 am

xh9o wrote:

whatever you tried, it was not enough. and you´re not a good liar.
:lol: :lol: you're cute

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:12 am

a good fight with you? :roll:

whatever you think you did in all these wasted years, your music sounds thin and lifeless like you just opened the package of your first sequencer yesterday. no i´m not kidding, thats really my impression.

the truth is that any sound that you hear is analog...that's what sound is - it's air moving...

what moves the air is your speakers...what moves your speakers is electronic. Here's where I differ from purists:

I don't give a shit what moves the electronics that moves the speakers that moves the air. Not at all. All I care about is the sound I hear.

i really can´t waste more time with silly internet people. what a fuckin bullshit. "sound is air so id don´t care?" wtf. get a life if you can´t get a brain with ears.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:13 am

xh9o wrote: whatever you think you did in all these wasted years, your music sounds thin and lifeless like you just opened the package of your first sequencer yesterday. no i´m not kidding, thats really my impression.

i really can´t waste more time with silly internet people. what a fuckin bullshit. "sound is air so id don´t care?" wtf. get a life if you can´t get a brain with ears.
:lol: hahahahaha, awesome...hey, when you get the balls to post some of your music, IM me, and I'll give you my honest opinion too. Thanks for listening.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:15 am

nebulae wrote:well since you haven't recorded anything yet,

aehm not everyone hits the record button all the time. and further i said: nothing analog (which isn´t that true, cause i released some acoustic/folk music which is really analogish - but no synths and this is what the thread was about).

and yur opinion... hell. who the fuck cares. though there is bits of sound behind the signature picture, as a smarter person would have suggested.

edit: i realized that i did simple analog indeed, over christmas last year when trying out some stupid yamaha sequencer. had forgotten that one. but you can download it there.
Last edited by xh9o on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.