More beta slots available

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:45 am

leedsquietman wrote:I made it in this time. Yay !

However, I think that Ableton should prioritize it's betas for users who have been with the product for a long time especially those who were in before MIDI (Live 4).

While that would preclude me from a lot of stuff, given that Live 6 was the point I joined, I feel sad for those people who upgraded from Live 1 or 2 to L7 and then some noob who bought the program last week gets to beta ahead of them. There's something just plain wrong about that.
I agree that there should be a bit better ordering to the public beta, mainly for selfish reasons. Although I've had a bit of a joke with the people who act like they've just been stabbed by their own brother because they missed round one - I do actually sympathize.

No wait, I'll be honest - I just can't bear the idea of noobs testing, I really hate it. It doesn't help produce a better app and ruins the signal-to-noise ratio so that it may actually make bug fixing worse !

Give me an uppity "professional" over a noob any day.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:58 am

Amen to that.

I regard myself as fairly experienced with it, having had it for 2 and a bit years and using most of the functions, (and 8 years of Cubase and Reason prior to this and another dozen years of ADAT and analogue recording prior to that).

But I know that in terms of building racks (although I've gotten better at it with experience) and some of the DJ dunctionality, I am not as well versed as others and while I'm happy to beta test and can contribute something, there are people who are better qualified than me who are having to wait....
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

audiojunkies

makes you wonder how many slots

Post by audiojunkies » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:07 am

nbinder wrote:Missed again :cry:

Guys, seriously... you can't open new slots on Saturday evening :evil:
Obviously not many slots were available, looks like this will cause ableton some serious loss of cred, on this release, lots of people mentioning across the net about this farce..

All the bedroom producers have it, and yet as mentioned everywhere else seasoned Beta testers, who know our product inside out (including the sound engine) do not yet have it.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:32 am

Anyone geeky enough to be on the Ableton Forum at 9 o'clock on a Saturday night has it :oops:

Audiojunkies- I think your making generalisations based on your circumstances. I'm on board since version 3 and I use the full feature set regularly, I got the beta last night.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:36 am

Who are these seasoned beta testers and who is buying the next round?
Ikeaboy, you're up. None of the weak German beer please!

Angstrom

Re: makes you wonder how many slots

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:08 pm

audiojunkies wrote:
All the bedroom producers have it, and yet as mentioned everywhere else seasoned Beta testers, who know our product inside out (including the sound engine) do not yet have it.
this guy is really special

sorry, I meant to say a real "professional"

martin808

Post by martin808 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:19 pm

last year i missed the L7beta every time and didn't get it until it went public. was very frustrating.

I got L8 beta in the first round this time due to checking the forum every 15 minutes for the last week on my phone.

mdk

Post by mdk » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:22 pm

i dont see a major problem with the current setup. i know there are people who have been using live a long time feel like they have some right to be considered before others as a tester but I think that having people who are 'new' to live test it is a good idea.

from my own experience developing software and receiving feedback from testers you often find different types of bugs from new users than people who are familiar. new users dont have the same usage pattern and dont have the same expectations. Also they dont have the same equipment, my computer is tuned for running audio software as I would suspect are most computers of 'professionals' so we may be missing a whole set of bugs which others would find.

what i do think is vital (as Angstrom pointed out in the beta announcement thread) is letting testers know about reporting procedures.

How do i write a good bug report?
Where do i send the info?
What info do i send?

This needs to be made as clear and straightforward as possible.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:24 pm

Perhpas the demographic of users they are after are those typically on these forums at that time on a sat eve, rather than out somwehere, or god forbid, actually trying to make a living out of using live.
Nothing to see here - move along!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Khazul wrote:

Perhpas the demographic of users they are after are those typically on these forums at that time on a sat eve, rather than out somwehere, or god forbid, actually trying to make a living out of using live.
Or maybe Alex works on saturdays and wanted to get last weeks fixes out of the way so that there are new reports to process on monday.

martin808

Post by martin808 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:28 pm

mdk wrote:
What info do i send?

is there a link with the answers to these questions i'm not really sure what you're supposed to do. i've found a few bugs.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Angstrom wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:I made it in this time. Yay !

However, I think that Ableton should prioritize it's betas for users who have been with the product for a long time especially those who were in before MIDI (Live 4).

While that would preclude me from a lot of stuff, given that Live 6 was the point I joined, I feel sad for those people who upgraded from Live 1 or 2 to L7 and then some noob who bought the program last week gets to beta ahead of them. There's something just plain wrong about that.
I agree that there should be a bit better ordering to the public beta, mainly for selfish reasons. Although I've had a bit of a joke with the people who act like they've just been stabbed by their own brother because they missed round one - I do actually sympathize.

No wait, I'll be honest - I just can't bear the idea of noobs testing, I really hate it. It doesn't help produce a better app and ruins the signal-to-noise ratio so that it may actually make bug fixing worse !

Give me an uppity "professional" over a noob any day.
+10000000

At least cycling74 seem to have the right idea for the MFL program - submit what you are doing with it and provide some background etc (actually TBH its been the same with most beta programs Ive been on - they want to know what use their testers can be first and then select them accordingly).

Or even scan down the licenses database you can probbably get some idea from that, for eg, someone with multiple 7, 7 suite license is probably worth targetting as probably only pro/semi pro users will have multiple licenses at the same thing.
Last edited by Khazul on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here - move along!

mdk

Post by mdk » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:36 pm

martin808 wrote:is there a link with the answers to these questions i'm not really sure what you're supposed to do. i've found a few bugs.
I think the first thing to do is make a thread for each bug in the bug reporting forum :

http://forum.ableton.com/viewforum.php?f=25

and state :

1. what you we're trying to achieve

2. what you expected to happen

3. what actually happened

4. a set of steps to reproduce this behaviour.

When im dealing with bugs i find number 4 incredibly useful. :)
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:02 pm

I wasn't about to say that those who were online on Saturday night and perhaps refreshed the site every 10 seconds for one week repeatedly don't deserve it, I only find it curious that all those who were out that night (a lot of us to perform LIVE) didn't have the chance to get the beta, even though - as already said - those might be the ones with the best suggestions and bug findings.

Or perhaps I'm just jealous or impatient :wink: :lol:

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:35 pm

mdk wrote:i dont see a major problem with the current setup. i know there are people who have been using live a long time feel like they have some right to be considered before others as a tester but I think that having people who are 'new' to live test it is a good idea.

from my own experience developing software and receiving feedback from testers you often find different types of bugs from new users than people who are familiar. new users dont have the same usage pattern and dont have the same expectations. Also they dont have the same equipment, my computer is tuned for running audio software as I would suspect are most computers of 'professionals' so we may be missing a whole set of bugs which others would find.

what i do think is vital (as Angstrom pointed out in the beta announcement thread) is letting testers know about reporting procedures.

What info do i send?

I think that just about sums it up for me too. Nice.