Live8 - New GUI? A symbol of stagnancy!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:47 am

by the way nick, I honostly think you can now change the order at which parameters will show up on your mackie control.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:52 am

Ahh! I was hoping this was how mackie assigns faders.... :D

Great i can now create custom Parameter maps directly on live. I wonder if you can save them as default though as opposed of going through this process over and over after opening the plugin. :)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 am

Nicknackerski wrote:Ahh! I was hoping this was how mackie assigns faders.... :D

Great i can now create custom Parameter maps directly on live. I wonder if you can save them as default though as opposed of going through this process over and over after opening the plugin. :)
don't go taking my word as gospel. it might not be in there but I honostly think it is, I saw something in a vid that made me think thats what I was seeing.

if it's in there though, I bet you have to reassign the plug each time you open it. that seems like abletons style :)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

optimistic

Post by optimistic » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:01 am

haha awesome responses in this thread. GUI is wonderful as it is.

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:02 am

Yep, i've just watched it the videos :)
But i bet you're right about the 're-assiging' bit.

It seems these days i use all of my time trying to control Ableton instead of using it for Music. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I want to set up every thing once then forget about Mappings, and concentrate on ear Damage. :lol:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:06 am

Nicknackerski wrote:Yep, i've just watched it the videos :)
But i bet you're right about the 're-assiging' bit.

It seems these days i use all of my time trying to control Ableton instead of using it for Music. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I want to set up every thing once then forget about Mappings, and concentrate on ear Damage. :lol:
oh dude, I once spend like a month trying to get mackie control to work perfectly. all that wasted time to realize it sucks flying blind on the bcr2000 since you can't see where you're at without looking at the screen and you think "I'm looking at the screen now, why don't I just use the mouse?"

it's funny cause a mouse is so easy to use and we hate it, you get a controller and spend half your time thinking "whats this knob linked to?" and somehow thats better.

posssu

Post by posssu » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:18 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
Nicknackerski wrote: it's funny cause a mouse is so easy to use and we hate it, you get a controller and spend half your time thinking "whats this knob linked to?" and somehow thats better.
Haha, you're so right on this one. =)
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:28 am

Jonn,
So what do you currently use, just the mouse?
I'm majorly disappointed with my controllers at the moment thats why i've been learning max,
i purchased a monome and itouch, these are hugely innovative but demand about 30 mins of your time with 3rd party apps from hobbists before communicating properly with ableton and i simply cannot be bothered to use the midi assign button in live everytime i open a Audio/midi track or plugin.

When i'm doing this i tend to listen to the same loop i've just recorded for about 30 mins while trying to do all the above in 'realtime' (ha!) and end pissed off, then going and doing something else. :evil: :evil:

Try using Logic aswell!!! i have about 3 million Projects all only 8 bars long (locked to the loop) and archived cause i got sick of fighting logis's shite GUI and control system :lol:

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Maybe change to Cubase? They got all the gloss and gradient that you probably crave... :P

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:09 pm

We need more clip colours. The personal clip colouring service from Christopher Walken has become stagnant.

al83

Re: Live8 - New GUI? A symbol of stagnancy!

Post by al83 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:33 pm

BigBuddha wrote:For me is the fact that Ableton did not change anything of the GUI the symbol that they stopped being innovative und pushing things further. Stagnancy at its best. All new features being implemented are requested for years now. Other DAWs supported such features since a long time - it seems that many user this days forget that this is not a free update for Live 7!
the fact that they haven't change anything about the gui shows that its perfect! its simple and lets you focus on the actual production. if you don't like it there's plenty of other options on the market for you. you know you can customize the colours on it? i have a kick ass dark grey/orange skin that IMO looks better than other full gui's in other sequencers.

one gripe i have with the gui though is that i can't see the mixer & arrange at the same, but this is an age old request.

Clique

Post by Clique » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:05 pm

fatrabbit wrote:We need more clip colours. The personal clip colouring service from Christopher Walken has become stagnant.
Robert said in another thread that they have added in new clip colours.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Stagnancy? I don't know if you checked out Live 8 yet... If they go any further the program is basically going to make the music for you. I don't even like those little circle burst things that go off when you press a clip in Live 8. I think it looks tacky, distracting, and annoying. I don't even really see a purpose for it. I hope there is an option to turn that off.

All the best -Aaron

liveISlife

Re: Live8 - New GUI? A symbol of stagnancy!

Post by liveISlife » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:43 pm

BigBuddha wrote:Other DAWs supported such features since a long time - it seems that many user this days forget that this is not a free update for Live 7!
I do see what your saying here. But I have tried traditional DAWs before and they can't touch what live does as far as how creativity inspiring, simple, fun, easy to use... Live is. If anything is stagnant it is other DAWs! When I come into Live it is like the flood gates of creativity open. Also about the free update thing. These dudes are a small niche company you know? + Their is global recession/depression going on :cry:

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:57 pm

liveISlife wrote:I don't even like those little circle burst things that go off when you press a clip in Live 8. I think it looks tacky, distracting, and annoying. I don't even really see a purpose for it.
I'm quite sure that's just a standard feature of the video capture software being used to make the promotion clips, graphically illustrating when a mouse button is being pressed :wink: