Please Bring Back playback head scrubbing!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
krikor

Post by krikor » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:49 am

krikor, did you try the 502 beta?
doesn't the box above the nudge buttons replace the playhead? i think it should
i did
it is very unprecise and slow for me when on stage while i can't see much, i most of the time use clips that are starting on the first bar, this way it was more simple to bring them back to the original point, even with the added box you can go on negative values, it's true though that at least i have a visual info for the offset value.
if i use midi and the offsetbox i have to switch the global quantize on a lower then watch where i put back the cursor or press revert when i'm done and put back the quantize to the original, come on!!! it is way too much!!!
I'm sorry but i can't deal with the preset behavior, as i use at least 20 differents impulse set, and i want to be able to change them very fast...

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:59 am

I agree, the new scrub paradigm is still not as good as it was. I wish / hope / pray the Abe's can put this one back if we ask long and hard enough.

That is one hell of a spontaneous feature us "converts" are missing there. As Live moves to be more fully featured in DAW world, I would dearly love this one back.

Please, if there was one feature that I fully understand had to get the chop with the new audio engine functionality, this is the one I would ask for to be re-created / re-engineered / re-constructed, rather than re-imagined.

cheers
p
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.5 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:06 am

krikor wrote:
krikor, did you try the 502 beta?
doesn't the box above the nudge buttons replace the playhead? i think it should
i did
it is very unprecise and slow for me when on stage while i can't see much, i most of the time use clips that are starting on the first bar, this way it was more simple to bring them back to the original point, even with the added box you can go on negative values, it's true though that at least i have a visual info for the offset value.
if i use midi and the offsetbox i have to switch the global quantize on a lower then watch where i put back the cursor or press revert when i'm done and put back the quantize to the original, come on!!! it is way too much!!!
I'm sorry but i can't deal with the preset behavior, as i use at least 20 differents impulse set, and i want to be able to change them very fast...
i thought the "box" was not linked to global quantization. i'll have to check that.

for quick presets changing, i think it can be done quicker than with the former method: you can have one of the browsers set to the impulse presets folder. when you want to change preset, you select the impulse track, double click the preset you want and it's done.
i didn't like the fact that all the presets were on the same "level" with the former method (especially when you had to scroll through 50 different presets).

i guess it's more a matter of getting used to the new behaviour (i hope it won't change at each upgrade).
though, i agree that there still could be the old "preset box". it doesn't conflict with the current behaviour.
hope this helps.

krikor

Post by krikor » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:47 am

peeddrroo wrote:i thought the "box" was not linked to global quantization. i'll have to check that.
The midibox is, isn't it?, the box with the value is not, but it's not midi
peeddrroo wrote: for quick presets changing, i think it can be done quicker than with the former method: you can have one of the browsers set to the impulse presets folder. when you want to change preset, you select the impulse track, double click the preset you want and it's done.
i didn't like the fact that all the presets were on the same "level" with the former method (especially when you had to scroll through 50 different presets).
I don't see what's faster there, i don't keep the browser open all the time as i have a 15" laptop.
Changing the preset takes more time than it used to (the browser thing is making the PB to slow down and freeze for 2 sec) as i don't own a very powerfull laptop.[/b]

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:18 pm

Pitch Black wrote:I agree, the new scrub paradigm is still not as good as it was. I wish / hope / pray the Abe's can put this one back if we ask long and hard enough.

That is one hell of a spontaneous feature us "converts" are missing there. As Live moves to be more fully featured in DAW world, I would dearly love this one back.

Please, if there was one feature that I fully understand had to get the chop with the new audio engine functionality, this is the one I would ask for to be re-created / re-engineered / re-constructed, rather than re-imagined.

cheers
p
AMEN!!! The old scrub ala version 3 is THE reason to use Ableton in a live situation, THE thing setting Ableton apart from others in terms of being able to take a static repetitive loop and funk it out on the fly. I know they listened to us and gave us midi control of it, but I think the unrequested total re-design of the whole scrubbing paradigm totally missed the mark, and strayed from its roots--the manipulation of vinyl and tape. The new stuttering and lack of constant forward motion (like a turntable or tape player) make it WAY less musical as a tool for musical loop variation. period.
krikor wrote:I don't see what's faster there, i don't keep the browser open all the time as i have a 15" laptop.
Changing the preset takes more time than it used to (the browser thing is making the PB to slow down and freeze for 2 sec) as i don't own a very powerfull laptop.[/b]
Totally. Most people giggin with Live that are going beyond the "DJ" style of mixing two or three tracks are using 10+ tracks and a few sends and don't have room for the browser to always be open, or to be expanded two tracks wide to see all of the subfolders. To have to go through all the extra steps to find the preset is stupid, to not see the preset name on the device is absolutely INSANE, and worthless on stage. C'mon, a third grader could see you that it helps to see the name of the preset on the device when you're on stage--geez.

I sure hope they fix these glaring oversights/downgrades for a program called "Live"--I know DAW and DJ features will help pay the bills, but don't forget about your roots and long-time users that are relying on solid paradigms Ableton has already set--why mess with or throw away a great thing???? It sure would be great if these MAJOR changes came as preferences options....

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

uese

Post by uese » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:16 am

to bump this again...

still don't like it. well i wasn't used to really play with the playhead in live situation. but i needed it a lot for compositions, finding new sounds and trying out different offsets. i can do this also with live5 but it's far more complicated and less intuitive. there's just no good visuall feedback and a lot more of actions have to be done to get the same result as in live4 and 3.

So, please bring back the option to play around with the playhead!
The 'old style' was perfect! also the new box in the betas doesn't really works intuitive.

thanks.
urs
PowerBook G4 15" 1.25Ghz - OS 10.3.9 - 1.5 GB Ram - Live5.0.1

Fritz

Post by Fritz » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:47 pm

I hadn't realized that the "scrub" function in L4 was now actuated with Ctrl key.
And the version in L5 certainly is a drag for me. Guess I'll stick with L3 for the time being.
While I don't use Live musically, like most here, the scrub function made life rather speedy in television PB land.

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:00 pm

uese wrote:(...) trying out different offsets.
Don't worry, the orange dot is there for that. or is it ? :lol:
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

uese

Post by uese » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:26 am

Chris J wrote:
uese wrote:(...) trying out different offsets.
Don't worry, the orange dot is there for that. or is it ? :lol:
yeah, i know. but then please make the orange dot an orange triangel a let us drag it with the mouse. and i don't like to confirm my action every time with the keep button, because i know what i'm doing. the revert button acts for me the same as ctrl-Z in live 4 and 3, so i don't need it.
now there are just too many actions i have to do for the same result...
PowerBook G4 15" 1.25Ghz - OS 10.3.9 - 1.5 GB Ram - Live5.0.1

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:48 am

oh yeah I'm a 100% with you here, I was joking although I don't even find it funny myself
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8