Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chase

Re: Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Post by chase » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:46 am

I don't get the "this kills the APC" gushing any more than I get the "this looks like blinky crap" whinging. They're two different products with different advantages, and both will make sense to different people depending on their needs. Launchpad doesn't diminish the appeal of the APC for me in the least. The mixer mode looks like it'd be useful in a pinch, but there's a good reason why mixers have faders rather than columns of buttons. I'd rather have knobs and faders alongside the buttons anyway; the good news here is that I can pick up one of these in a month or so and run it in combination with the APC to add an 8x8 grid. One grid can be dedicated to session view, while the other is remapped in M4L as a step sequencer, drum machine, or whatever. That's cool.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:20 am

chase wrote:I don't get the "this kills the APC" gushing any more than I get the "this looks like blinky crap" whinging. They're two different products with different advantages, and both will make sense to different people depending on their needs. Launchpad doesn't diminish the appeal of the APC for me in the least. The mixer mode looks like it'd be useful in a pinch, but there's a good reason why mixers have faders rather than columns of buttons. I'd rather have knobs and faders alongside the buttons anyway; the good news here is that I can pick up one of these in a month or so and run it in combination with the APC to add an 8x8 grid. One grid can be dedicated to session view, while the other is remapped in M4L as a step sequencer, drum machine, or whatever. That's cool.

i fell ya, I'm grabbing one of these run NEXT to my apc40. Keep the launchpad for m4l and custom junk and the apc40 can be my grid launcher

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:40 am

I have to admit the APC40 look a lot better but for 199$ I guess its fine. As I already have knobs and faders, I might pick up one of those if they are not too expensive on amazon.jp

At 160$ I would not hesitate 1 second. I hope that price will come, it would sell like hot cake!

acidman

Post by acidman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:48 am

djsynchro wrote:
acidman wrote:usbport-location-designfailure :cry: :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEMMft6 ... re=channel
I think they do it so that you can have it in front of your laptop, which is handy. It says on the Novation site "L-shaped USB connectors" so I think they are going to ship with L-shaped cables which will be cool, then you can have them close togther.

now this sounds better :D
if i buy one maybe i do a vertical mod for the plug / solder the cable internal.
will see, "oops desing failure" >> this was the first thought when i saw this little box. :mrgreen:

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:49 am

Earwax69 wrote:I have to admit the APC40 look a lot better but for 199$ I guess its fine. As I already have knobs and faders, I might pick up one of those if they are not too expensive on amazon.jp

At 160$ I would not hesitate 1 second. I hope that price will come, it would sell like hot cake!
Hopefully its not a gongshow like the apc40 was with people waiting INSANE times to purchase one.
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:05 am

This looks nice. It will work well with my nativeKontrol/nanoLive and the new LPD8 (which I will get as soon as it becomes available).

Although, if space is a premium, the nanoKey works well for triggering loops in session mode as a workaround..

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:32 am

Rogue Scrunt wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
UKRuss wrote:Sweet Jebus would you look at that dirty cocksucker!!!

I am getting me one of those bad boys!
is that trailer park boys I sense there?

"this time of year, julian gets really greasy"
"First you start with shitlarvae, then shitterpillars...now....shitmoths, Randy"

madlab

Post by madlab » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:33 am

Hi Abletonians, does this mean we'll finally get proper support for the novation remote Xstation as a control surface and Automap in Live ?
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

darkslide

Post by darkslide » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:40 am

....helllloooo beautiful!

Launchpad looks sick. I want 2 of 'em, they'll be great for live shows, one for mixing and one for launching.

mmm bow bow
mmm bow bow
chicka chicka
Oooooohhh yeah

(ferris bueller style) :D

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:53 am

Just bought it from Dolphin music with sleeve! i was going to spend that money on an ipod touch but feck that.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:07 am

Did the dolphin price include the sleeve, or was it the same as everywhere else and they just made a mistake?

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:27 am

UKRuss wrote:Did the dolphin price include the sleeve, or was it the same as everywhere else and they just made a mistake?
err, without sleeve it was 149.99, and with it was 154.99 , did i just get pwned?

exper

Post by exper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:29 am

Did everyone get Akai's deperate look at me too email last night? Somehow I feel like they had no idea about this. Oh well, I love my apc, and unfortunately, I'll probably still end up with a launchpad strictly for M4L uses. Does anyone know if the launchpad and apc caould technically be on the same grid at the same time in Live? I was thinking that with livesets, once in a while my wife joins me, so we could both have a visual of where we're at, and trigger things simultaneously. Hmmm...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:31 am

acidman wrote:usbport-location-designfailure :cry: :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEMMft6 ... re=channel
yeah, that is not real either, is it?

I mean what kind of engineers / designers they employ?

really hard to believe.
*** Image GAFM ***

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:37 am

Thats where the usb connection is, but it comes with an L shaped usb lead i think so you can line them up, but there will still be a small gap, but meh.