APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ajargy

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by ajargy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:29 pm

how can i disable my crossfader?

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Just leave it alone. Unless you wont gonna use your As and Bs, the crossfader wont do a thing.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:03 am

Sorry if this is going over covered ground... but I want to assign one of the knobs to change pitch of a clip when selected.. is this possible or do I have to wait for Max 4 Live?

Thx

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:50 pm

ElectroClash wrote:Hallo, I'm an APC (happy) owner since 2 months.
I've read that the fact I can't control Return Track is normal. Any news about that? When will be available a Firmware upgrade? Thank you for your answers

You don't need RECORD ARM buttons for all of your tracks, right? In the meantime, you can manually MIDI-assign first 4 RECORD ARM push buttons to activate 4 return tracks, respectively. Once a return track is activated, you can use DEVICE CONTROL buttons to tweak effect parameters on the selected return track.

Not sure that extending CLIP LAUNCH to control return tracks can be fixed via firmware update if it ever happens, but ok the above solution should be sufficient for now.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

HouseContainer

Post by HouseContainer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:14 am

Shall it be possible to use the announced Novation Launchpad in combination with an APC 40? And what edition/version of Ableton Live would this run on?

sanelectro

Post by sanelectro » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:59 am

I just got my apc40 and am really happy with everything it can do. My question is, when having more than one song, ill have more than one instrument for say, a bassline. how can i have 2 bass' with 2 different instruments, yet still have them under the same track?

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:03 am

sanelectro wrote:I just got my apc40 and am really happy with everything it can do. My question is, when having more than one song, ill have more than one instrument for say, a bassline. how can i have 2 bass' with 2 different instruments, yet still have them under the same track?
Group it?
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

sanelectro

Post by sanelectro » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:16 am

chelemasty wrote:
sanelectro wrote:I just got my apc40 and am really happy with everything it can do. My question is, when having more than one song, ill have more than one instrument for say, a bassline. how can i have 2 bass' with 2 different instruments, yet still have them under the same track?
Group it?
But i don't want them to play at the same time, since they are both basslines, and both for different songs for different instruments. does that make sense?

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:21 am

sanelectro wrote:
chelemasty wrote:
Group it?
But i don't want them to play at the same time, since they are both basslines, and both for different songs for different instruments. does that make sense?
But why are you going to that? Hmmm. Oh well, maybe freeze and flatten it to make it as an audio could help you, so that you could put it one track and just trigger it.

sanelectro

Post by sanelectro » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:35 am

But why are you going to that? Hmmm. Oh well, maybe freeze and flatten it to make it as an audio could help you, so that you could put it one track and just trigger it.[/quote]

haha awesome, thanks so much chelemasty! I wont be able to edit device controls but thats ok, this is exactly what i needed, thanks again!

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:55 am

sanelectro wrote: haha awesome, thanks so much chelemasty! I wont be able to edit device controls but thats ok, this is exactly what i needed, thanks again!
You're welcome. Also about editing the device control, do you mean the audio effects that comes with the synth? If that's the case, you could just add those effects again after converting it to an audio file, so that you could automate it again. But if you're talking about editing the filters and other stuff within the synth itself, then that's another story, but you could still imitate it with using the audio effects I guess. Peace!

ElectroClash

Post by ElectroClash » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:17 am

Thank you evry much loco! I will try..
But a question then..: if i change the factory settings of APC doing what you told, how can i come back to default setting (Record Arm button really arm its track)
Thank you again :oops:

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:55 am

ElectroClash wrote:Thank you evry much loco! I will try..
But a question then..: if i change the factory settings of APC doing what you told, how can i come back to default setting (Record Arm button really arm its track)
Delete what you've map, I guess. Atleast, that's how I do it. Also, the mapping is not permanent, so everytime you're gonna make a new beat again or a new Ableton file, the APC40 will restore it's default settings.

ElectroClash

Post by ElectroClash » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:26 am

Thank you... i'm so newbe in midi... :)

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:59 pm

ElectroClash wrote:Thank you evry much loco! I will try..
I am not sure but you can try the following: go to Preferences || MIDI Sync and then on APC 40 MIDI Ports re-enable "Track" and "Remote" buttons. This should restore default APC 40 settings.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/