Best bulk renamer + ID3 tag mangler for OSX

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
timothyallan

Best bulk renamer + ID3 tag mangler for OSX

Post by timothyallan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am

...other than A Better Finder Rename, and not iTunes.

Ideally it would have the flexibility of ABFR, but I also need something where I can bulk modify ID3 attributes as well as append artwork to mp3 files.

Anyboooooody?

SubFunk

Re: Best bulk renamer + ID3 tag mangler for OSX

Post by SubFunk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:04 am

know you want a different answer, but iTunes does all that, why look further?
*** Image GAFM ***

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:07 am

SubFunk wrote:know you want a different answer, but iTunes does all that, why look further?
I can't throw 1000 MP3's into ITunes and rename them all + add ID3 tags in one fell swoop.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:13 am

Yes you can.

It's always the same with iTunes, so many people seem to have a lot of difficulties with it. and therefor hating it. not saying you hate it. just coming across many people that do not understand how incredible powerful it is, especially once you start to use Doughs iTunes scripts or even make your own. (you do not need a script for taging 1000+ tunes at ones in iTunes by the way)
*** Image GAFM ***

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:28 am

SubFunk wrote:Yes you can.

It's always the same with iTunes, so many people seem to have a lot of difficulties with it. and therefor hating it. not saying you hate it. just coming across many people that do not understand how incredible powerful it is, especially once you start to use Doughs iTunes scripts or even make your own. (you do not need a script for taging 1000+ tunes at ones in iTunes by the way)
It would have to be a script, currently I have an 8 stage macro in my trial version of Better Finder Rename that uses regular expressions I wrote to do spacing, capitalization and character removal, as well as bpm and key tagging. Then I also have another macro that web-ifies the filename for my tunes so I can put them on the ftp. Currently all I have to do is select my files and drop them onto a droplet created by the app and it's done all automatically. Is it as easy in iTunes to do that after writing scripts?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:35 am

timothyallan wrote:
SubFunk wrote:Yes you can.

It would have to be a script, currently I have an 8 stage macro in my trial version of Better Finder Rename that uses regular expressions I wrote to do spacing, capitalization and character removal, as well as bpm and key tagging. Then I also have another macro that web-ifies the filename for my tunes so I can put them on the ftp. Currently all I have to do is select my files and drop them onto a droplet created by the app and it's done all automatically. Is it as easy in iTunes to do that after writing scripts?
i guess it's as easy, definitely possible., i never wrote a script myself, though, but use a bunch of Doughs scripts.

and he has that sort of thing on his website that for example does capitalization, etc., etc.

maybe have a look before trying to roll your own.

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/
*** Image GAFM ***

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:39 am

Waaaaay too much work for both iTunes scripts, and that MusicBrainz is not quite what I need. Thanks anyways guys :)

I reckon it's ABFR FTW ASAP!

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:32 pm

AUTOMATOR!?

Tunecrew

Post by Tunecrew » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:56 pm

I use MediaRage for all that kind of stuff- very happy with it
Live 9 Suite
Macbook Pro (Mid-2015 15" 2.8 GHz i7 1 TB Radeon GPU)
APC-40

rsagevik

Post by rsagevik » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:21 pm

I really like Name Mangler from Many Tricks. I've only used it for batch file renaming,
and I don't think it can work with ID3 tags. For tags I'm with SubFunk..iTunes suits me
for mp3 tagging

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:28 am

Looks like it's Better Finder Rename for multi batch file renaming and Media Rage for multi batch tag/attribute editing!

Dan Dare

Post by Dan Dare » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:33 pm

I have used Jaikoz it seems o.k.

http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:24 pm

stonee

Post by stonee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:54 pm

-shift select the batch of files you want to rename.
-cmd+I
-add you picture
-edit your info

I don't think it gets much simpler than that.

alot of people dont know what itunes is capable of. other things you can do with itunes:

turns out, I might be able to use it to catalog my video clips as well. then, when I need to move the files, I just collect all my shiz to another HD.

I let itunes manage my music. it organizes all my stuff into artist and albums. if I need to find a file, I know where it is. or, i can just right click and show in finder.

I use it to convert my exported aiff's into 320 mp3's.

and, most importantly, if ableton is organizing your music files, you can drag and drop right from itunes into ableton. if you warp your tracks in ableton, and save them, they save in the itunes folder. if your djing, this means you can search ID3 tag info (song,artist, BPM, etc.) using itune's retardly fast search. using playlists, you can also organize your tracks however you want. i have a list of already warped tracks, so i can pull them in, and let'er rip.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:09 pm

stonee wrote:-shift select the batch of files you want to rename.
-cmd+I
-add you picture
-edit your info

I don't think it gets much simpler than that.

alot of people dont know what itunes is capable of. other things you can do with itunes:

turns out, I might be able to use it to catalog my video clips as well. then, when I need to move the files, I just collect all my shiz to another HD.

I let itunes manage my music. it organizes all my stuff into artist and albums. if I need to find a file, I know where it is. or, i can just right click and show in finder.

I use it to convert my exported aiff's into 320 mp3's.

and, most importantly, if ableton is organizing your music files, you can drag and drop right from itunes into ableton. if you warp your tracks in ableton, and save them, they save in the itunes folder. if your djing, this means you can search ID3 tag info (song,artist, BPM, etc.) using itune's retardly fast search. using playlists, you can also organize your tracks however you want. i have a list of already warped tracks, so i can pull them in, and let'er rip.
Yep, well aware of that, it just doesn't do any of the advanced file renaming stuff I need to do... which my newly purchased copy of ABFR does swimmingly. Creating droplets is awesome as well, just drag a bunch of files onto it and poof! they all change to exactly the way I like things formatted :)