Still searching for the best way to play live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ultraman

Still searching for the best way to play live

Post by ultraman » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:18 pm

Hi. I have to organize my live show. We are a standard rock band with keyboard and vocal sequences that play in the background.

I'm still searching for the best way to organize my live show. We have about 20 songs. I'm the guitarist so I can't load a new session after each song. We will play in medium venues, 500 to 2000 persons so I don't see myself always going on the side of the stage to load new songs.We don't want to jam with live. We want to use it the same way I'd use a hardware sequencer and a big sampler.

I think about doing the sequences in a mc-50 and using live as the big sampler. With the MRP program, I'd be able to just stomp on a dp-2 to start the next song with the sequencer in the standby mode. And I could also set the tempos in the mc. And have a backup computer running in sync.

But since the program has been created to play live, there must be a better way to do it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:34 pm

You could trigger your songs with a midi controller. These sessions you need to load. Are they tracks that play from beginning till end? Or are you playing with the tracks?
If you just need to trigger 20 songs there really should be no problem.
Just throw in the song you need and play. Or have a set with the 20 songs pre-loaded.

cheers

ultraman

live setup

Post by ultraman » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:33 pm

The songs play from beginning to end but these are not stereo tracks. I have seven separate outs so the soundman can have control over vocals, synths and percs.

I'd like to use Live to play the synth parts when necessary without having to compile some big .wav files that most of the time would be silence.

Lets say I have all my parts in a session window. Then I record my songs using arrangement. And put my 20 songs in this arrangements, one after another. Is there a way to trig the songs in the arangement, maybe from a marker or something like that?

Thanks

Boulderdash

Post by Boulderdash » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:53 am

Or have a set with the 20 songs pre-loaded.
That's difficult, I don't know a way to merge even two sets into one.

I can only copy clips and paste them, and even then I'm missing sends or used eq-plugins.

It doesn't get better with midi, where you have to write down the VSTIs and save their presets.

Some "pool" like in Cubase would be nice. Or a simple merge- or append-function.

Or am I missing something?

Christian

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:39 am

Why not get someone else to do it for you? You could teach a trusted friend how to load your sets.