What is the Difference Between Melodyne and Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:11 am

besides the fact that live is a Live audio sequencing instrument, I'm speaking of the syncing of audio abilities.
so don't be shy folks, and which do you think is better for loops.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:34 am

i'm listening to the demo mp3's on the celemony site right now, damn this program mother fuckin insane, quality is topnotch. I think Ableton and Celemony should merge and rule the world.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:48 pm

Melodyne is a software package that provides a completely new approach to audio material, it can analyse the pitch and time of a piece of monophonic audio and, using a process known as local sound synthesis, allow you to totally manipulate those and plenty of other parameters completely independent of each other, it's almost as easy to move real audio notes in time and change their pitch as it is with Midi notes in a sequencer. The applications for this technology are many including finely tuning the pitch of vocals, creation of multiple harmonies and double tracking from a single vocal part and the creation of new melodies from an old one, not to mention the linear movement, stretching or shortening of notes or percussion loops to tighten up timing/phrasing or to fit a new tempo.
http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?ID=53
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

warped

melodyne

Post by warped » Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:10 pm

yeah, comparing apples and oranges. melodyne is for tweaking pitch, its for autotune users really. but if tweaking pitch/timing is your only goal it is the best around

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:13 am

i dunno, their website says loops and straight audio track recording like a multitracker, mbazzy you must of just missed that info with your quotes

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:30 pm

I wouldn't say there's any similarity.
Melodyne is more akin to Propellerheads ReCycle!; only, it's designed for working with and manipulating both the pitch and groove of a musical phrase, whereas ReCycle! only cares about the groove af the phrase - pitched or percussive.
Live has some of ReCycle's groove-manipulating functionality - and even takes the concept further, in places, but nothing that compares to the elegant and revolutionary re-pitching functions of Melodyne.
But there's nothing live about Melodyne. Like ReCycle!, it's an offline tool used to treat loops or even entire tracks. Live (the application, that is) could be used to sequence and further mangle the loops and tracks that you process in the other two applications.

Hope that clears things up!
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:52 pm

I wouldn't say its like recycle, because recycle does not really extract groove info, recycle does something simpler--sets slices points.

Melodyne does something really cool, its takes audio files and figures out all the melody info, like the keys its write on, and all the notes. It will actually write out a score for you. You can then take this tweak it and use it, if you want, to create a midi file of the audio. its really cool.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:21 am

also Noisetonepause, Melodyne is not an offline program, it does its functions in realtime, you can drag stuff around apply all of the functions and change timing, pitch, formant, keys, what ever and it does it all imediately no waiting, so you can see exactly how what your doing is sounding at the exact time that you're doing it.

a very cool program, check out their site and demos.

cerberus

Post by cerberus » Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:43 pm

Re: 2 significant advances in software editors over the past 18 months.

For offline studio work; Generally:

- Melodyne handles your music with note parameters.

and

- Live handles your music with clip parameters.

thus

- Melodyne offers unprecendented control.

and

- Live offers unprecendented speed.

I suggest you try both demos, and buy both; or make a choice based on desire and you will be correct.

I use many different apps; Melodyne 1.5 is my favorite; Visit my website to hear some music I made with Melodyne:

www.parsek.at/cerberus

-
------
-----------
-------------------- cerberus

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:17 pm

I love Melodyne!!!Has anyone compared the format changing of Melodyne with Live??

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:54 pm

does it process audio fast or slow?

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:55 pm

Melodyne SE can read and write all common formats, including .snd and 32 bit floating point.

It is fast on a fast machine.

When 2.0 is released with ReWire support, Melodyne and Live will be perfect together. Already you can loop a sample with it and change all the note parameters and hear the result continue to play without an interruption in playback.

cerberus

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:18 am

how much$$$ ????

I predict this will be the softcombo of the century.

cerberusmusic

Post by cerberusmusic » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:36 am

Anonymous wrote:how much$$$ ????

I predict this will be the softcombo of the century.
Melodyne 2.0 is released.

It bears the distinction of being able to connect to Live as either a ReWire client, or as a ReWire host !

You can find details and prices at their website:

http://www.celemony.com

cerberus

Re: What is the Difference Between Melodyne and Live

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:13 pm

[quote="cerberusmusicIt bears the distinction of being able to connect to Live as either a ReWire client, or as a ReWire host !

You can find details and prices at their website:

http://www.celemony.com

cerberus[/quote]

does this mean full duplex??? that'd be swell, if only propellerheads would full duplexise.