How do you change Reason instruments with Live on stage

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sonicstructures

How do you change Reason instruments with Live on stage

Post by sonicstructures » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:41 pm

hi all,

let's say i have 5 combi's in reason and i rewire it to Live. how would i setup live in order to change from one combi to the next without any audio drops and/or glitches ? this change would have to be seem less using a midi controller while performing up on stage.

thanks
My arsenal: gibson guitar and bass, fender bass, takamine acoustic guitar, yamaha drums, Moog Little Phatty, Korg MS2000, Absynth, Reason, Live, Cubase, AMD Desktop with Echo Layla audio interface, AMD Laptop with presonus Firefox and the Jedi Force.

MathematiK I

Re: How do you change Reason instruments with Live on stage

Post by MathematiK I » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:49 pm

have each track in live send midi to a different instrument in reason...
choose a different midi channel as the inputs for each track...
switch channels on your Midi ctrlr...
done.
the artist formerly known as 3dot...

MathematiK I

Post by MathematiK I » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:50 pm

alternatively...
read up on 'ext. instrument'... and 'racks'...
the artist formerly known as 3dot...

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:45 pm

MathematiK I wrote:alternatively...
I used to do it in reason using Korg micro and/or kontrol49 just using 2 up/down buttons- one set for changing patches and other for combos=tracks, the advantage of it was Korg related- each set had its own mini display so I actually never had to see reasons interface and Reason/Korg combo worked like a hardware synth.lack of AT and shitty quality made me give up Korgs (after 4 mKsand 2 kontrol49 that I owned). Novation SL has better keys and with all the displays canalso work without need to see the GUI but there is no such sleek option for switching patches and synths like on those Korgs.
Unless you have such Korg, ext instr is the best solution.

sonicstructures

Post by sonicstructures » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:31 pm

MathematiK I wrote:alternatively...

thanks for the reply. i did read up and i still not sure how to change reason patches (like thor) via ableton/midi controller keyboard. i;m able to do it by assigning different midi channels to different reason synths/ableton track BUT this is a 3 step process for me due to the midi keyboard controller i have (emu-x25 board). this is not ideal for me in a live performance situation because i have to press the midi button on my controller, slide the slider to the correct midi channel and then hit enter. 3 steps to long!!! i like it to be 1 step were i just turn a knob on my controller to switch to different patches (for example reason's thor).

thank you in advance!
My arsenal: gibson guitar and bass, fender bass, takamine acoustic guitar, yamaha drums, Moog Little Phatty, Korg MS2000, Absynth, Reason, Live, Cubase, AMD Desktop with Echo Layla audio interface, AMD Laptop with presonus Firefox and the Jedi Force.

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Reason don't work that way. It doesn't respond to "patch changes" and never has. If you have a bunch of patches you want to use, you have to set them up as individual instruments and/or combis in the Reason rack and change the destination from your Rewire host.

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:17 pm

You could create 5 MIDI tracks in Live, each pointing to its own Reason instrument (does not have to be with External Instrument, depending on what you want to do with the audio returned by reason). Then in Live, map the "Track Arm"/"Record Enable" buttons for each of these tracks to your MIDI-controller or whatever you want. In Settings under "Record, Warp, Launch" enable track arming to be exclusive.

sonicstructures

Post by sonicstructures » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:27 pm

rasputin wrote:Reason don't work that way. It doesn't respond to "patch changes" and never has. If you have a bunch of patches you want to use, you have to set them up as individual instruments and/or combis in the Reason rack and change the destination from your Rewire host.

damn, oh shucks!! it seems to me i can do the patch changes using reason as a stand alone. i havent tried it (going to tonight, not in front of reason) but i remember seeing the blue arrows on the "select next/previous patch" when i engage the remote override edit mode function.......................

Omniology

Post by Omniology » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:30 am

I like running reason through external instrument as well. In my setup i use with the funk bank, I have one midi track, 3 with external instruments in a instrument rack. with each synth selected under, for ex it says reason, and then i choose thor, nn-xt, and malstrom respecitly in each ext inst. you then controlle vol through reason. or you can connect each comb to a seperate input and select tha thru ext ins, and use live to change the vo. but midi keyboard should be connected to live in this setup.

OM

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:14 am

sonicstructures wrote:
rasputin wrote:Reason don't work that way. It doesn't respond to "patch changes" and never has. If you have a bunch of patches you want to use, you have to set them up as individual instruments and/or combis in the Reason rack and change the destination from your Rewire host.

damn, oh shucks!! it seems to me i can do the patch changes using reason as a stand alone. i havent tried it (going to tonight, not in front of reason) but i remember seeing the blue arrows on the "select next/previous patch" when i engage the remote override edit mode function.......................
To limit the number of patches to scroll create a folder in favourites and place your patches there (remember to select the patch from there otherwise you might scroll through original folder).

davec1

Post by davec1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:03 pm

hang on a second, last time I checked you could change patches in reason, the patch up/down buttons are assigned to specific cc numbers...

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:35 pm

davec1 wrote:hang on a second, last time I checked you could change patches in reason, the patch up/down buttons are assigned to specific cc numbers...
of course you can, despite that some too self-assured "expert" does not how.

sonicstructures

Post by sonicstructures » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:42 pm

davec1 wrote:hang on a second, last time I checked you could change patches in reason, the patch up/down buttons are assigned to specific cc numbers...
yes reason allows that. when i open ADDITIONAL OVERRIDES, and look at the mapping column for select prev/next patch for target device, it says standard. does this standard mapping have a PRE ASSIGNED CC number to it??? If so, what is it? because i can not seem to find it on the midi implementation chart.

sonicstructures

Post by sonicstructures » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Omniology wrote:I like running reason through external instrument as well. In my setup i use with the funk bank, I have one midi track, 3 with external instruments in a instrument rack. with each synth selected under, for ex it says reason, and then i choose thor, nn-xt, and malstrom respecitly in each ext inst. you then controlle vol through reason. or you can connect each comb to a seperate input and select tha thru ext ins, and use live to change the vo. but midi keyboard should be connected to live in this setup.

OM

with this setup you are controlling the volume for each reason synth via live and a controller, correct? you're not actually selecting a different synth (or turning off the synth) but simulating on/off by controlling the volume

Omniology

Post by Omniology » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:09 pm

yea,

that's it and i meant to say in my funk band, not bank..... yea map the volumes to a controller thru reason, and use i midi track with three ext. one set to my b3, clav, and rhode. but you could midi map the vol in live, but you got to be sure to give each device a seperate input in the main audio in/out reason thingy. so not a mixer but the main thing, so you can seperate the sound and select a dif audio from channel on ext inst.

Hope that helps