Dub suggestions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oblique strategies

Re: Dub suggestions?

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:01 am

leisuremuffin wrote:i'll check out that keith hudson record, he's amazing..lm.
It's outrageous stuff, like nothing I've heard before.

Another great Dub album is Dread Baldhead by I Roy, produced by Bunny Lee at King Tubby's studio. Most tracks feature I Roy skanking in a fine stylee over some of the best dub I've heard -a couple of tracks are pure Dub with no vocals . You can get a taste of it on the Blood & FIre compilation Heavyweight Sound - A Blood And Fire Sampler which has two tracks: the I Roy version 'War & Friction', then the dub 'Living Style (Saboo)'. Total dread & seriously hypnotic. I have it on LP, but I don't know if it's on CD or downloadable.
Image Image

Hope that the Lee Perry bug bites you someday, it's such a nice world to explore, & makes for a good change of pace. Of course it really helps if you dig Reggae -some people love Dub, but don't like Reggae.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:51 am

Lee Perry and Jools Holland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6AZIVjbgqU

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:29 am

Israel Vibration - Dub Combo (bit more modern dub)

Deadbeat

Post by Deadbeat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:15 am

Asking what's the best Lee Perry dub cut or even album, to put things in the context of this forum, is a bit like asking "what's the best software for making music?"

I would heavily suggest picking up David Katz's excellent People Funny Boy autobiography of Scratch and using it as a reference to seek out the various tracks. While you'll find some gems on the catch all reissue collections that are out there you'll barely be ermmm...scratching the surface of what is an absolutely vast ocean of music with these.

This is true for dub in general and not only of Perry. The truly magical moments in exploring dub occur going through the 7 inch and album bins you'll find at a great many record stores. Noticed your in Maine and the proximity to NYC and Toronto in a global sense means you're likely to find a great deal of stuff at shops near by. The greatest rule of thumb with this I'd say is don't overlook anything. There have been sooo many misprints, bootlegs, stamper mistakes, and illegal reissues over the years that the likelihood of there being a absolutely killer dub on the unmarked b side of that scratched up, misspelled waylers 7 with the crooked labels are indeed very high.

Other JA producers and dub related artists not to be overlooked:

Linval Thompson
Joe Gibbs
Herman Chin Loy
Clive Chin
Bunny Lee
Niney the Observer
Gussie Clark
Prince Far I
Yabby You

happy digging...

Scott

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:53 am

Black Uhuru: The Dub Factor (1983)

ashley_k

Post by ashley_k » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Here are a couple random dub things to check

21st Century Dub - http://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-Dub- ... 0000059XL/
an interesting and slightly odd 1979-1980 Japanese/Jamaican joint venture.

Twinkle Brothers - Dub Massacre Pt. 1 & 2 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dub-Massacre-Pt ... 0000082W6/
nice early 80's dancehall/dub

for Lee Perry these are worth a look
Dub-Triptych - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dub-Triptych-Le ... 0001MXT5A/
The Upsetter Shop Vol. 1: Upsetter in Dub - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upsetter-Shop-V ... 00000040T/
Born in the Sky - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Born-Sky-Lee-Sc ... 0000594X1/
an underrated comp, but worth buying for the "Bury the Razor" and it's instrumental/dub "Cheat Weston Head"

plus if anyone wants to listen to a couple of dub podcast - http://thumbing-the-rack.podomatic.com/

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:13 pm

Here's a couple of streaming dub radio stations always a good way to find some hidden gems.

http://www.bigupradio.com/stations.jsp

http://www.hotmix108.com/

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:35 pm

nice infos here. thanks all.

anyone check out the new Kode9 (with spaceApe)?.

definitely more modern/digital sounding. but still dub.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Dub Syndicate, really got into them in the mid 90s.

particularly, Dubbing Psycho Thriller with Lee Perry

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:16 pm

@ Deadbeat:

Sadly i'm so in the middle of nowhere up here in Maine that there isn't a record store 3 hours from here in any direction. But I do end up in nyc quite often so i'll continue the search when i'm down there. Thanks for the tips on digging, i would have never thought of checking for mislabled records. I worked at record stores for most of my life too, it's a shame i never thought of that.

By the way, I've got nothing but respect for your music, man. Killer killer stuff.

And thanks to everybody else contributing too, i've got a lot more stuff to listen to now, and already bought two great new recordings based on suggestions here.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Tunecrew

Post by Tunecrew » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:58 pm

some great contemporary stuff:

Transdub Massiv - From Negril To Kingston City - this has been out for a bit but the distribution has had issues, I think it will be back online for digital soon, but you should be able to cop the CD if you look around

Dub Colossus - In A Town Called Addis - Ethiopian music given the dub treatment - definitely different and cool, especially if you're already digging Gigi, Aster Aweke, etc.
Live 9 Suite
Macbook Pro (Mid-2015 15" 2.8 GHz i7 1 TB Radeon GPU)
APC-40

continuous

Post by continuous » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:34 pm

on second thought...
Last edited by continuous on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fixed_up

Post by fixed_up » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:44 pm

In terms of Lee Scratch Perry, the bible has to be arkology. 3 CDs spanning the Black Ark era with some absolutely fantastic music on all three. Theres a few too many versions of each track but its nothing left than comprehensive.

Another shout for Black Uhuru the Dub Factor too.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:07 pm

Deadbeat wrote:Asking what's the best Lee Perry dub cut or even album, to put things in the context of this forum, is a bit like asking "what's the best software for making music?"

I would heavily suggest picking up David Katz's excellent People Funny Boy autobiography of Scratch and using it as a reference to seek out the various tracks. While you'll find some gems on the catch all reissue collections that are out there you'll barely be ermmm...scratching the surface of what is an absolutely vast ocean of music with these.

This is true for dub in general and not only of Perry. The truly magical moments in exploring dub occur going through the 7 inch and album bins you'll find at a great many record stores. Noticed your in Maine and the proximity to NYC and Toronto in a global sense means you're likely to find a great deal of stuff at shops near by. The greatest rule of thumb with this I'd say is don't overlook anything. There have been sooo many misprints, bootlegs, stamper mistakes, and illegal reissues over the years that the likelihood of there being a absolutely killer dub on the unmarked b side of that scratched up, misspelled waylers 7 with the crooked labels are indeed very high.

Other JA producers and dub related artists not to be overlooked:

Linval Thompson
Joe Gibbs
Herman Chin Loy
Clive Chin
Bunny Lee
Niney the Observer
Gussie Clark
Prince Far I
Yabby You

happy digging...

Scott
+1

David Katz's book People Funny Boy is a must for Perry, Dub, or Reggae fans.

7" 45's rule. I have found some wonderful unknown dubs & tracks on 45's. So many were released that it is a given that you will find many hidden gems.

All the above mentioned producers & artists have contributed massive amounts of greatness galore.

I'm going to add two more worthy producers:
Coxsone Dodd & his Studio One label for some great & elegant music & dub.
Duke Reid -many of his Treasure Isle & Trojan songs were recycled as DJ tracks & dubs.

And a +1 for Black Uhuru's/Sly & Robbie's Dub Factor: a good digital delay take on Dub.

Deadbeat

Post by Deadbeat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:44 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:@ Deadbeat:

Sadly i'm so in the middle of nowhere up here in Maine that there isn't a record store 3 hours from here in any direction. But I do end up in nyc quite often so i'll continue the search when i'm down there.

.lm.
In NYC the absolute go to spots for dub are:

Deadly Dragon
www.deadlydragonsound.com

Jammy land
www.jammyland.com

Absolutely endless selection, like leave the credit card at home deep...