Ableton Delay Don't Automate Well - Suggestions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oddeo

Ableton Delay Don't Automate Well - Suggestions?

Post by oddeo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:22 pm

I have, for the most part, stopped using Logic and am just using Live for composition. (still prefer to mix in Logic)

One thing that erks me a bit though is trying to automate delay time in Ableton (high time value automated to low time value). In Logic I can automate the stereo delay time and it speeds up while sounding fairly natural and smooth. If I try automating the delay time on any of the Ableton delays they sound super grainy and distorted.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? Or know of an inexpensive AU/VST delay that will sound good for this type of thing?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

scientist

Re: Ableton Delay Don't Automate Well - Suggestions?

Post by scientist » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:24 pm

some of the delays have a repitch option in the contextual menu, which will get you what you want.

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:33 pm

I want to point out that I am not looking for a pitch shift like a tape delay, I am looking for a digital delay sound with no pitch change.

Cheers.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:46 pm

in that case you want the contextual menu item 'fade' on the delay
if you had investigated the first respondents answer you would have spotted this.

the L8 delays have 3 modes, 'jump', 'fade' and 'repitch'
'Jump' is the old L7 (and lower) delay mode

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:55 pm

Which is bitchin'

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Great! I never realized the contextual menu had these options. I will have to test that out after work.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:08 pm

I took a short break and popped my laptop open.

The contextual menu had Fade checked.

Fade still does not sound very clean to me. Are there any other settings or parameters that may be causing this?

Maybe it just boils down to taste. To me automating the Logic delay sounds much smoother and natural, where as Ableton delay automation sounds "bitchin" to porfiry.

Any other thougths?

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:29 am

I didn't say it sounded bitchin'...I was just trying to state that the choice, which is new to 8, is indeed bitchin'. The repitch option is an excellent fuck-shit-up creative tool in itself.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:41 am

After further thought, I should add that this is the kind of stuff that Live is really for...they're not after the most natural sounding effects in a lot of cases. The mentality is more about what you can destroy with it, not about making pretty, traditional stuff.

A little thing like the delay modes is a perfect example. Another one is the new Complex Pro warp mode...on the surface it seems like a way to make your samples sound "better" when you're doing profound tempo changes and such. But the reality is, with that little formant filter they've put in there, you can mess stuff up real, real bad. It's a micro-effect for flavoring the sample, as much or more than it's about prettifying the mess you've made of it by cutting its speed in half.

All that said, I've had good luck doing traditional, pretty stuff with it too. Maybe try a third-party VST or AU.

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:34 am

I think you are right on the money there. Nothing about Ableton says traditional or natural to me. Which 99% of the time I am totally into. There is just a specific delay effect/sound that I like that I cant quite achieve with Live. I will toy around with a few AU's and bet I can find a tool for the job.

Porpy

Post by Porpy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:09 am

Ohmboyz delay does this perfectly