APC 40 Pricing EU Vs US > WTF!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
acidman

Re: APC 40 Pricing EU Vs US > WTF!?

Post by acidman » Tue May 26, 2009 10:36 pm

H20nly wrote:All bullshit aside... You're not going to get an honest answer about the pricing. After all, this is a corporate entity that we're dealing with.

They don't give a shit what you don't wanna pay as long as you'll pay it. Its all about a spreadsheet and the bottom line.

They proabably shipped 5 million units to the U.S. at one or two points of entry and only 1 million into Europe at 270 points of entry. It costs them more so it costs YOU more. I'm not saying its right or wrong but corporate America only cares about money... I'm sure its the same all over the global village.
you think ableton has ~ 6 million (paid licence) users. they must be very rich now :lol:

ok now tell me where you have that info from and also please tell me how all the other vendors are able to do it without that much price difference thanks :wink:

best thing > mopho (made in usa) price us: $399 = (if self imported ~ 285 eur + customs & shipping =~ 360,- to 370,- eur)
price in eu 333,- eur bought one today in local store for 300,- after special rebate. (so difference was 15 eur)

again all other vendors are able to hold the euro = dollar value (which also is not 100% ok but who shells)

same with the other akai/alesis gear > eur value = dollar value ~ 1:1 eg. $300 in us > price in eu 300eur .. (not nice but ok it`s as it is)

but in case of apc40 same company is not able too :?: kinda weird don`t you think so umm? :wink:
Last edited by acidman on Tue May 26, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue May 26, 2009 10:38 pm

ewistrand wrote:
djsynchro wrote:Akai are getting some bad PR out of their pricing scheme...
Read my answer above. They have nothing to do with it; it's the EU and VAT that's the cause.

ew
That would require VAT to be set at 50% plus, considering it's 19% in France and it is different all over Europe you are completely wrong and as far as I'm aware, America does pay some form of tax when they buy stuff?

acidman

Post by acidman » Tue May 26, 2009 10:42 pm

Sage wrote:
ewistrand wrote:
djsynchro wrote:Akai are getting some bad PR out of their pricing scheme...
Read my answer above. They have nothing to do with it; it's the EU and VAT that's the cause.

ew
That would require VAT to be set at 50% plus, considering it's 19% in France and it is different all over Europe you are completely wrong and as far as I'm aware, America does pay some form of tax when they buy stuff?

yes they have to pay tax but it`s only if they buy stuff in the same state they live.
prices in us shops are shown without tax but tax is not that much as in eu.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue May 26, 2009 10:56 pm

acidman wrote:you think ableton has ~ 6 million (paid licence) users. they must be very rich now

ok now tell me where you have that info from and also please tell me how all the other vendors are able to do it without that much price difference thanks
My example wasn't to give an exact talley of units, but simply to illustrate that BULK rules. Thats simple economics. Its a new product. In a year it will probably be at least one third less than it is today so if the pricing really bothers you that bad hold onto your ass becasue the rollercoaster hasn't started yet.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Tue May 26, 2009 11:08 pm

McQ714 wrote:that's what you european and australian pussies get for slamming the US every chance you got!!!

only kidding... don't your get your panties in a bunch.

welcome to the wonderful world of trade. we get good deals on some electronics and you get good deals on everything else. for example, i work for a contractor that specializes in marble and granite fabrication. we pay an arm and a leg for good quality italian marble. i bet it's a lot cheaper in europe. i'd be interested to find out... someone in italy, tell me much top quality calacatta gold slabs are per square foot.

It's un-buyable even here. I'm about 30km from the site.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue May 26, 2009 11:10 pm

acidman wrote:
Sage wrote:That would require VAT to be set at 50% plus, considering it's 19% in France and it is different all over Europe you are completely wrong and as far as I'm aware, America does pay some form of tax when they buy stuff?

yes they have to pay tax but it`s only if they buy stuff in the same state they live.
What the hell is that all about?

acidman

Post by acidman » Tue May 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Sage wrote:
acidman wrote:
Sage wrote:That would require VAT to be set at 50% plus, considering it's 19% in France and it is different all over Europe you are completely wrong and as far as I'm aware, America does pay some form of tax when they buy stuff?

don`t know what you mean but my whole answer was only regarding the us part not the eu part of your post as i know this myself cuz from there.

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue May 26, 2009 11:23 pm

acidman wrote:
Sage wrote:
acidman wrote:yes they have to pay tax but it`s only if they buy stuff in the same state they live.
don`t know what you mean but my whole answer was only regarding the us part not the eu part of your post as i know this myself cuz from there.
Not showing tax, as I live in the UK (There's another minefield for Americans right there :lol: ), that just sounds like a nightmare, I'd hate to be on the walk of shame and then have to do sums.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:06 am

abletoff wrote:
McQ714 wrote:that's what you european and australian pussies get for slamming the US every chance you got!!!

only kidding... don't your get your panties in a bunch.

welcome to the wonderful world of trade. we get good deals on some electronics and you get good deals on everything else. for example, i work for a contractor that specializes in marble and granite fabrication. we pay an arm and a leg for good quality italian marble. i bet it's a lot cheaper in europe. i'd be interested to find out... someone in italy, tell me much top quality calacatta gold slabs are per square foot.

It's un-buyable even here. I'm about 30km from the site.
i was really not expecting to get a response.. but thanks!!

and to give the rest of you an idea of how our sales tax works. i live in orange county, california. home of disneyland. my county sales tax just hiked up 1% recently, so I am paying 8.75% tax on all purchases of goods sold to us within orange county. Food sold to us in a grocery is not taxed, unless it is cooked for us. Food from restaurants is taxed. If I go to Los Angeles county to purchase something which is only about 30 minutes drive, if that, then I can expect to pay 9.25% in sales tax. If I order something online from a store in another state (i.e. Sweetwater), that has no physical storefront or warehousing in California, then I do not pay sales tax on that item. However, if I were to physically go to that store in another state, I would have to pay sales tax. Doesn't make much sense but that's how it works. still 9% is nowhere near 19%, and that's why the EU sucks!

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed May 27, 2009 12:10 am

McQ714 wrote:i was really not expecting to get a response.. but thanks!!

and to give the rest of you an idea of how our sales tax works. i live in orange county, california. home of disneyland. my county sales tax just hiked up 1% recently, so I am paying 8.75% tax on all purchases of goods sold to us within orange county. Food sold to us in a grocery is not taxed, unless it is cooked for us. Food from restaurants is taxed. If I go to Los Angeles county to purchase something which is only about 30 minutes drive, if that, then I can expect to pay 9.25% in sales tax. If I order something online from a store in another state (i.e. Sweetwater), that has no physical storefront or warehousing in California, then I do not pay sales tax on that item. However, if I were to physically go to that store in another state, I would have to pay sales tax. Doesn't make much sense but that's how it works. still 9% is nowhere near 19%, and that's why the EU sucks!
19% is in France, the EU mostly exists to stop us all going to war with each other every two minutes :lol:

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:14 am

Sage wrote:

19% is in France, the EU mostly exists to stop us all going to war with each other every two minutes :lol:

when exactly was the last time France and the UK were in a war?

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Wed May 27, 2009 12:16 am

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
Rave wrote:Imo the best way to vote is not to buy.
Agreed.
+1

-Ben

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed May 27, 2009 12:26 am

McQ714 wrote:
Sage wrote:

when exactly was the last time France and the UK were in a war?
The EU was formed soon after WW2, work it out from there. Last time Britain and France were at war ended with the battle of Waterloo in 1815 to my knowledge and got a history going back over 1000 years at least.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed May 27, 2009 10:00 am

maze23a wrote:I tried to get one today and it seems like It's sold out everywhere and i mean everywhere
and most of them told me even the next round they will get are completely sold out!
Could be that the next round is already sold out in advance, but the reason you couldn't get one this week is more likley that it hasn't even been officially released yet. :wink:
It's in the stores from 30.5.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed May 27, 2009 12:58 pm

acidman wrote:how can it be that us-shops list it for $380 - $399 and eu shops ~ 440 - 449,- EURO!

hey come one akai&ableton what weird stuff :roll: is this here?
380.00 USD = 2,422.57 NOK
440.00 EUR = 3,903.75 NOK
(NOK is Norvegian Kroner)

8O Jesus, I will have to get it in the states then.. Hopefully getting a gig there in late summer.. Alternatively get a friend to send one to me, and set the value low on the package. (will have to pay 25% of its value in taxes when it arrives here)

It will save me 1500 NOK which is about 235 USD!!