Someone here give online private lessons in Max/msp?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LoopStationZebra

Re: Someone here give online private lessons in Max/msp?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 15, 2009 8:50 pm

Tone Deft wrote:it's already out there. what about your shit poopstation?

Ouch. C'mon man I was just poking you a bit. :oops:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Dalibor Loncar

Post by Dalibor Loncar » Sat May 16, 2009 9:49 am

i don´t have cycling´74s max/msp. personally i find it a bit overpriced for just playing around with it. before learning a graphical compiler program you should dig deeper into the theory of computer music to have a broader knowledge base for creating your ideas later. you should borrow some electronic music theory related books from your nearest library. of course you can start by doing the max/msp tutorials, but there is a lot of information missing for an absulote beginner.

i would suggest you start with miller puckettes pd software. it´s free and if it´s not your thing you have saved money.

http://puredata.info/

i´ve found miller´s book very helpful (to start with)

http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/technique ... t/book.pdf

there´s also a bibliography in that document included where some books about digital audio signal processing are mentioned.

an alternative for just building instruments, effects, samplers, etc. is native instruments reaktor.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat May 16, 2009 10:35 am

Android Bishop wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
slatepipe wrote:cafes - good idea. or pubs i guess. i feel a new laptop coming too - my current one is about 5 years old and a bit shit. oh yeah, and i want the live 8 upgrade.
I'm going to hate myself for saying this but you might consider a Mac. the max/msp crowd is very mac oriented and many patches are mac only. this is the one draw I have to selling out and buying an overpriced girly computer.
Slow down there chief, M4L is coming out pretty soon and all patches written for it will probably be cross compatible, so lets hold off on the overpriced girlie computers for now.
Many externals are for mac only. So the patches will only be as cross-compatible as the externals are

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Sat May 16, 2009 9:16 pm

just to second what everyone said about the quality of the c74 tutorials. and the single best way to learn is having an idea, knowing what you want to make and figuring out how to make it. no-one can teach you that.

@ slatepipe - seeing as you're a londoner, the goldsmiths summer max course (the advanced one) is pretty good. it's a bit misleading calling it an advanced course - it's more of a "i've finished the tutorials and mostly understood them except the javascript stuff now what?" course. i'd didn't think it was particularly advanced, but i got a lot out of it last year. it think it's worth it if you can get the student pricing. i'm thinking about doing the coding externals one. maybe.

http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/ems/courses.php