(True!) Multitouch (not quite) DIY controller for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gab

Re: (True!) Multitouch (not quite) DIY controller for Live

Post by Gab » Mon May 04, 2009 8:47 am

nbinder wrote:Are you sure the T91 really supports multitouch? What I read about it sounded pretty much like dual touch only.
It's hard to find reliable information about it, I'm not sure that it supports more than two simultaneous pressures either; but if the screen is responsive enough that could be a minor drawback, and for the price I'm not hoping it will offer all the possibilities of a Lemur ;)

It's just another option. It's not even released yet, but we may get more info during Computex (June 2-6).
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Mon May 04, 2009 2:13 pm

Im waiting the same I think, this one or the dual touch screen, also by asus.

however im not sure Ill control live diecctly but more as a remote. usine to midi over lan to another gear running live.
usine let me build THE live interface I want, shorcuts and filter what I want to see on the screen, became very addict.
have a look it's very designed for touch screens and imo have anticipated the touchscreen live appz pb far before ableton.
http://www.sensomusic.com/usine/
im so waiting mutitouch, got a ready interface-! can rec any automation on the fly (asked to ableton for years), loop it and shift it. dispay/hide any item, recall presets, change layouts ect..

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Mon May 04, 2009 2:44 pm

oops double post
Last edited by Euklid.fox on Mon May 04, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Mon May 04, 2009 2:46 pm

sure, but mine cost me 100 euros hehe (monotouch), but lots of mutitouch will come with W7 and will end the jazzmutant monopole and prices abuses.
also lemur is far to be as tweakable as usine and needs two layer of conversions, reaktor patch, lemur pach, and again send to network.

Gab

Post by Gab » Mon May 04, 2009 2:51 pm

Euklid.fox wrote:Im waiting the same I think, this one or the dual touch screen, also by asus.

however im not sure Ill control live diecctly but more as a remote. usine to midi over lan to another gear running live.
usine let me build THE live interface I want, shorcuts and filter what I want to see on the screen, became very addict.
have a look it's very designed for touch screens and imo have anticipated the touchscreen live appz pb far before ableton.
http://www.sensomusic.com/usine/
im so waiting mutitouch, got a ready interface-! can rec any automation on the fly (asked to ableton for years), loop it and shift it. dispay/hide any item, recall presets, change layouts ect..
Yeah, Usine looks terrific. I'd probably get it if I went the eeeTouch route.

By the way, do you already use a touchscreen, Euklid? If it's the case, what is it?

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Mon May 04, 2009 3:04 pm

I bought a cheap cover on ebay it's a glass pannel with a converter and a usb cable. I put it on mpb 15 inches, plug the usb and ready to go.
look at ebay there are lot of size/screen ratio avaible.

however I ve chosen this cheap solution only in waiting multitouch, for testing purposes and anticipating the way I ll design my interface when multitouch layers/screen will be avaible. the touch is very precise for buttons/swich, but have a latency when moving faderz fast.
anyway even on iphone or lemur I don't like moving faders on touchscreen, hardware still remain the best. so I suggest you to wait a bit, in 6 month max im sure multitouch layers will be avaible for less than 200=300 euros.
but it's already very cool to have a visual feedbacks, trigger swichs..

Gab

Post by Gab » Mon May 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Actually, as I am close to pulling the trigger on some fader controllers, I'd mainly use a touchscreen for the clip matrix. So as soon as it responds fast to touches - I don't care about slides - it's ok.

I've just had a look... true, there are really cheap solutions! A 19" tactile surface costs around 80€, add another 80 for a cheap 19" LCD panel... 160€ for a (mono)touch controler. Crazy!

It may not be the time to jump on these yet, but it looks really promising.

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Mon May 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Gab wrote:Actually, as I am close to pulling the trigger on some fader controllers, I'd mainly use a touchscreen for the clip matrix. So as soon as it responds fast to touches - I don't care about slides - it's ok.
you ve got the good point imo! it's already ok for the clip matrix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzdufv7TwZo
now depends on your patience for mono/mutitouch ;)
(i say that but couldn't resist, however i often surprise myself trying to launch two clips at the same time, so you guess my suggest...)

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Mon May 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Euklid.fox wrote:
sure, but mine cost me 100 euros hehe (monotouch), but lots of mutitouch will come with W7 and will end the jazzmutant monopole and prices abuses.
also lemur is far to be as tweakable as usine and needs two layer of conversions, reaktor patch, lemur pach, and again send to network.

uh no reaktor here...

just ableton live and a lemur and one ethernet cable.

that software looks intriguing and for really simple stuff i can see it's appeal.
with v2.0 lemur i can create a clip launch template and displays the names
and colours of the clips on my lemur, i like it.

lemur only needs to watch our for Stantums new stuff... but not really because
Stantum is actually the same people who make the Lemur.

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Wed May 06, 2009 12:25 am

oh yeah cool then , It's not a weird api translate it's official collab nice.
sure it must be great to have the session view!!. usine has workaround for names and colors by screen capture,
but don't dynamically update them yet... yup I saw the statum stuff amazing.
arf just hope the new world of mutitouch can divide the prices at least by 2, still overpriced for me.