How would you do it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Komplex

Post by Komplex » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:33 am

AdamJay wrote:
Komplex wrote: Or you could physically twist the uc-33 clockwise by 180 degress and use it back to front ;)
har har smartass! i'll take you seriously for shits and correct you and say draw-bar mode would do the same thing. lol
hehe :)

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:34 am

:lol: some funny shit made my sides hurt
for the love of Live

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:08 am

My partner and I go back and forth between DJ and PA stuff. We are currently using a method similar to the one AdamJay described, but without the additional software. The RedSound BPM counter unit looks pretty neat, and I'm thinking of searching for one to give it a try.

Luckily with this method, you'll only have to make minor changes to the computer's pitch as long as your turntables stay at roughly the same speed. You can make it easy on yourself by starting your set with a track on your computer. Then match as perfectly as possibly your turntable to your computer.

A more expensive option would be to use the Allen + Heath Xone:92 with its MIDI clock out... If you've got 2 grand to drop on a mixer! (in dreams)

The best way in my opinion would be to just DJ with your computer. ;)

jasontorque

Re: How would you do it?

Post by jasontorque » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:35 am

DJThis wrote:New member here .. guys.. I finally join this forum due to the kindness, knowledge and professional attitude of everybody here. Very impressive.

.. my question is: How would I hook up 2 turntables/2CDJ with my Ibook running Reason 2.0/ Ableton Live .. I want to be able to trigger drum loops/Synths in sync with the playing record in order to spice up my set a little bit, sort of like a live remix on the fly.

I have heard about Midi Clock software that would let me control MidiClock on External gear, but how would I get tempo from the Turntable? Do i need an extra gear hooked up to the turntable to do this?

I hope my question doestn't sound too confusing....

Thanks much
I use the Redsound Micro Sync. You have to ensure you set it up correctly, paying particular attention to the midi sync delay. Once you've tested it, it works a treat and allows you to get in and out of other audio. Used it on Saturday night in front of 1500 people, with no probs.
Urbantorque Recordings
RSS: feed://urbantorque.com/blog/backend/ut.rdf

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:39 pm

Peavy now makes a BPM detector, but its really a phrase sampler
http://www.pvdj.com/processors/grabber/

ncw

Post by ncw » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:43 pm

AdamJay wrote:LOTS OF STUFF ABOUT TEMPO.

This is how I'm starting to do it. Apart from the autographs bit ;)

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:19 pm

AdamJay wrote: download MidiYoke and MidiOX from midiox.com
MidiYoke is a driver for Virtual Midi inputs/outputs and MidiOX is a translator utility.
is theres oemthing simialr for the apple??

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:00 pm

jeskola wrote:
MidiYoke is a driver for Virtual Midi inputs/outputs and MidiOX is a translator utility.
yea you can do it with Plogue Bidule.

DJThis

Wow

Post by DJThis » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:18 am

Thank you so much for 2 pages of responses, especialy to AdamJay for answering my questions.

I am getting the Alesis Photon X25, to work with my Apple Ibook G4 1.0ghz. I don't want to use Ableton Live for the whole set, just because I do not know how to use Live yet. Besides, I like to mix vinyl, and drop drum loops or whatever in to spice up my set. I just sold my Pioneer EFX-500 with MidiClock... damn it.. otherwise I can hook it up to read midiclock and somehow hook it to the Photon X25 .. to match beat...
Well The method that AdamJay mentioned sounds really good too. I will definitely try it out.

keep the thread alive....Thanks

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:44 pm

AdamJay wrote:
jeskola wrote:
yea you can do it with Plogue Bidule.
I believe that midipipe is also capable of this.

awhwalker

Pioneer EFX to PC Ableton session for R/C x-fades etc

Post by awhwalker » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:55 pm

Hi All,
I think this thread is the closest to what I need unless someone can link me to a better place...

A friend of mine has lent me an Pioneer EFX-500. I cruedly want to use the midi assignable keys for gain control, crossfade etc. Essentially to create live sets. Up until now everything has had to be done in arrangement view behind the desk. Very static and very pre-arranged.

Anyway, despite my efforts, I don't seem to be able to get Ableton to see the midi events coming in on my PC via my EDIROL USB to Midi controller. Here's a diagram of how I have everything connected:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~awhwalker/setup.JPG

What I tried first up was to put the EFX into MIDI mode by hitting the "BPM MODE" button. At this point I noticed the LED on the EDIROL controller started to flicker as though it was recieving MIDI instructions. Great I thought. Then I went straight to Live, preferences and selected "Remote" ON for the EDIROL controller. Then when in MIDI mode (everything in Ableton goes blue that can be controlled) I tried a whole bunch of knob twisting and button pushing on the EFX. Nuh. Nudda...

I can understand the MIDI OX and MIDI Yoke combination, but this seems to be a double up on what Ableton should handle natively I would have thought. Then again, I am asking the question so I'll not press too hard on the assumption thang...

Has someone got a simple and painless way of connecting the EFX to my PC/Ableton session so I can perform the abovementioned tasks?

Please help.

Kind regards

Adam[/img]

Mk

Post by Mk » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:34 pm

fraq wrote:I understand that you want to avoid what I am going to suggest, but as the thread is titled "how would you do it?" -
I'd record all my tracks to hard disc and mix on the laptop....
well i got to the fourth reply, and fraq said it the same way i was going to...