Guru

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamester

Re: Guru

Post by jamester » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:02 am

Machinesworking wrote: I'm happy with 1.6, now that you can have 16 measure long patterns you can really use it to write with IMO.
Yes, but doesn't it suck that the play cursor always starts from the beginning of the first measure? So you have to listen through fifteen bars to hear the changes you've made to bar sixteen. This kinda kills it for me, Guru needs a proper play cursor in the next version IMO.

I don't think this has changed in 1.6, but correct me if I'm mistaken. I only checked out the new version briefly to see if D&D from the arrangement still crashed Guru in Reaper, and it did so I uninstalled.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:17 am

jamester wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: I'm happy with 1.6, now that you can have 16 measure long patterns you can really use it to write with IMO.
Yes, but doesn't it suck that the play cursor always starts from the beginning of the first measure? So you have to listen through fifteen bars to hear the changes you've made to bar sixteen. This kinda kills it for me, Guru needs a proper play cursor in the next version IMO.
Is there a problem with starting the song you're working in after 15 bars? GURU will start on the 15th bar if you do this. Stand alone I could see it being a problem.
I don't think this has changed in 1.6, but correct me if I'm mistaken. I only checked out the new version briefly to see if D&D from the arrangement still crashed Guru in Reaper, and it did so I uninstalled.
Don't own Reaper, have you contacted FXPansion about it? They're usually pretty good about addressing problems.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:39 am

Machinesworking wrote:Let's just say Live can do it all, but not as fluidly.
I must admit that I only used the guru demo for a short while but it was very quick and intuitive and yes, much quicker than Live for building beats and backings but Live isn't that slow when compared with other apps.

I'm sure some of guru's better features could be implemented into Ableton without too much trouble.

Other than dragging and dropping midi patterns, how else is Guru integrated into Lives workings?

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:37 am

So can Guru be driven by the mpc? Can you map the pads and controls, mutes etc? I'm thinking of either getting this or battery for percussion. Thanks.
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

debu

Post by debu » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:55 am

[/quote] Don't own Reaper, have you contacted FXPansion about it? They're usually pretty good about addressing problems.[/quote]

Guru is a great piece of kit, but it sorely needs a new browser. Fxpansion seems to be concentrating on their synths right and it seems they are not as responsive as they used to be. I think they have something up their sleeves, but the wait is getting old.