PLEASE bring back the timeline in warp clip view

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
mr lovely

PLEASE bring back the timeline in warp clip view

Post by mr lovely » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:52 pm

I don't understand why Ableton have removed the timeline from under the clip view window - there's no easy way now in 8 to see how long a track is, or how far away a break is. I used to use this all the time for various purposes and this is a real annoyance.

I've read the reasons given by Ableton (http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=105502) and it just doesn't make sense. Each bar plays for the same length of time (at the current tempo) so there is a linear conversion between the two scales. If the bar scale can be displayed so can the time.

Amaury

Re: PLEASE bring back the timeline in warp clip view

Post by Amaury » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi,

Just a few points to clarify things:

- In Live 7, you did see the original time of the clip, not the current real time.
- You are right that the beat ruler is consistent and regular, but even if you'd want to show the real time (and not the clip's original time), it could not be guaranteed it's linear, because of tempo automation/manipulation. It would have to look like the real time ruler at the bottom of the arranger, when you have some tempo automation in the Master track. Just that it would have to dynamically update as the set goes, for Session view clips.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

mr lovely

Post by mr lovely » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:47 pm

Amaury wrote:Hi,

Just a few points to clarify things:

- In Live 7, you did see the original time of the clip, not the current real time.
- You are right that the beat ruler is consistent and regular, but even if you'd want to show the real time (and not the clip's original time), it could not be guaranteed it's linear, because of tempo automation/manipulation. It would have to look like the real time ruler at the bottom of the arranger, when you have some tempo automation in the Master track. Just that it would have to dynamically update as the set goes, for Session view clips.

Regards,
Amaury
Thanks Amaury. I hadn't appreciated that about Live 7, which probably shows that the 'real time' and 'original time' are close enough to each other 99% of the time for my purposes.

I'm not bothered if it's not 100% accurate (and I doubt others are either) but having an indication of clip length (as per the current master tempo) would help me loads when DJing with Live. So just showing a linear view of 'real time' at the bottom would be far far better than showing nothing. Can you get that into 8.02 :wink:

Whilst we're on the subject, is there any chance of getting the yellow bar numbers displayed on the warp markers again? Not being able to count how many bars away you are from upcoming breaks without scrolling in/out to see the grid is also a step backwards for DJing.

thanks.
Mark.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:10 am

I would like to see the timeline in warp clip view too!!!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

bland_handl

Post by bland_handl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:28 am

it'd be really helpful - for example offsetting latent recordings.

in this case it doesn't matter if the timeline is only displaying original tempo, or even if the timeline is warped and stretched.

rocker101

Post by rocker101 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:03 pm

please bring this timeline back !!!!!!
its indispensable !!!!

amigo

Post by amigo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:31 am

I would also like to see the clip timeline back.

mr lovely

Post by mr lovely » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:23 am

Is there any news on this, please Ableton?