[amo] Arrangement position marker 'hesitation'...

mikemc

[amo] Arrangement position marker 'hesitation'...

Post by mikemc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:29 pm

When in arrange, I was playing the set and clicked on the 'main tracks' area in an attempt to bring the song marker to a particular position while the arrangement was playing, to pick up from that area, but nothing happened.

I thought I may have been clicking on a less optimal area to do this, so I clicked a couple of times. The arrangement playing 'stalled' and some trashy sounds seemed to get in the buffer, and the marker finally moved back to the position I wanted and continued play. In earlier versions I am used to having the song position marker pretty much whip right back to the location clicked and carry on during playback, so this seems awry.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Amaury

Re: [amo] Arrangement position marker 'hesitation'...

Post by Amaury » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi,

Are you talking about scrubbing? Like, clicking in the timeline, when the mouse cursor transforms into a small speaker?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:19 pm

Amaury wrote:Hi,

Are you talking about scrubbing? Like, clicking in the timeline, when the mouse cursor transforms into a small speaker?

Regards,
Amaury
Well my intent is not scrubbing: my intent is merely to bring the marker back to an earlier part in the arrangement before a particular clip starts, to have it play back over from that point for a while to listen again. So that may be, like, one scrub :).

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi,

I fail to understand. If you click in the Arranger to set the insertion mark (orange blinking line) while the song plays, well, it sets it but doesn't make the playback jump, and never did. You need to stop and restart the transport. Isn't it?

What is it exactly you're trying to achieve, and what is it you get?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:52 pm

That is good to know that is how it is intended.

What I was trying to achieve was the 'analog' of clicking on the "current bar number" box and decreasing the number to pull back the insertion mark.

Sometimes I am just forgetting how it worked last time :) but other times I am semi-purposefully experimenting as one might if one were a new user, and this was one of those times.

I will try this some more tonight to provide more detail.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:56 am

I figured out what was happening.

I am using a notebook with a touchpad, when I don't have time to set up more stuff I just 'mouse around' using the touchpad, which is sensitive and I'm still getting used to.

I had put my cursor on the arrangment position bar/quarter/sixteenths counter. Left clicking on this and holding the key down, you can increment/decrement it very quickly by moving your finger up/down on the touchpad, if it is done smoothly and luckily you can cause the position to jump backwards and land on a beat. I thought I had clicked on the main 'arrange screen' because when I lifted my hands up, that is where my cursor was.

Doing this if you use a touchpad you can kind of almost 'scratch' if you have really light touch. But it is not a bug, it is serendipity + my misperception.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:40 am

Hi,

Very good. I moved the thread away as this is no bug. Wishing you a lot of fun with your new touchpad :)

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team