new white mac book

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Emissary wrote:if you want a computer to run as a DAW with nothing else insatlled get a pc. If you want to be able to do other stuff on the same partition get a mac. simple choice
Nice that these things are so simple. Shame that there are pc users using their machines for a DAW as well as all their other computer needs.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:08 pm

gjm wrote:
Emissary wrote:if you want a computer to run as a DAW with nothing else insatlled get a pc. If you want to be able to do other stuff on the same partition get a mac. simple choice
Nice that these things are so simple. Shame that there are pc users using their machines for a DAW as well as all their other computer needs.
just the way i role. main studio Desktop is a pc no internet and only audio programs. lappy is a mac for live use and everything else. Has done me good for 6 years using this method. The moment you start installing shit on a DAW like virus protection, firewalls, office programs bit torrent, games, your fucking up you DAW big style. its a fact. Ask any manufacturer of pro PC DAWs

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:33 pm

Emissary wrote:The moment you start installing shit on a DAW like virus protection, firewalls, office programs bit torrent, games, your fucking up you DAW big style. its a fact. Ask any manufacturer of pro PC DAWs
Perhaps I am the odd one out. I use Live, Reaper, Acid as well as a CAD program, music scoring programs, and Open Office. I use an antivirus, a firewall, do all of my email communication, update my website, play all of my music, troll the nets, all of my imaging, accounting etc on this one pc xp laptop. I don't use the torrents though, and I have no time for gaming, so maybe that makes the difference. Having said that, I have not had a virus for 3 years, nor any complication (apart from the Live 6.0.11 update) that has caused any issue with this machine. In fact, as I also have a white mac book, I do not see any difference at all in the way the two perform from a reliability perspective. The macbook actually seems 'sluggish' compared to the pc laptop. Early days though. Still wrapping my head around the OS and work flow.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:09 pm

gjm wrote:
Emissary wrote:The moment you start installing shit on a DAW like virus protection, firewalls, office programs bit torrent, games, your fucking up you DAW big style. its a fact. Ask any manufacturer of pro PC DAWs
Perhaps I am the odd one out. I use Live, Reaper, Acid as well as a CAD program, music scoring programs, and Open Office. I use an antivirus, a firewall, do all of my email communication, update my website, play all of my music, troll the nets, all of my imaging, accounting etc on this one pc xp laptop. I don't use the torrents though, and I have no time for gaming, so maybe that makes the difference. Having said that, I have not had a virus for 3 years, nor any complication (apart from the Live 6.0.11 update) that has caused any issue with this machine. In fact, as I also have a white mac book, I do not see any difference at all in the way the two perform from a reliability perspective. The macbook actually seems 'sluggish' compared to the pc laptop. Early days though. Still wrapping my head around the OS and work flow.
you got lucky :wink: . I had an old desktop that was my main studio pc for years and ran like a dream. took about 10 seconds to boot and never had an audio hickup. when I decided to get a new studio desktop and tuned my old one into a general use computer it was a matter of days before it was crawling along. maybe it only effects older computers nowadays then.

djfm

Post by djfm » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:25 pm

white macbook here
go for it
http://www.myspace.com/projectf - Progressive
http://soundcloud.com/fproject
http://twitter.com/fproject1

Macbook 2.4 4GB/Live 7.15/massive/Absynth 4

rutgermuller

Post by rutgermuller » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:20 am

I got myself the latest white Mac Book (2.0GHz @ 1066MHz Front Side Bus). It's my first Apple computer. I use it with a Presonus Firebox, which runs without even installing drivers (but the Presonus software is quite handy).

I've upgraded the memory to 4GB Kingston MoDDR2 (50 Euros) and Harddisk to 320GB 7200 FPS Seagate Momentus (70 Euros) myself. You'll need a torque screwdriver :). All runs smooth, and I'm very glad to have steered away from Windows.