Oscar Poll - Best Picture

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Which movie will win Best Picture?

Slumdog Millionaire
48%
Milk
10%
Frost/Nixon
6%
The Reader
No votes
Benjamin Button
13%
The Dark Knight (not in the running, but should be!)
23%

Total votes: 31

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:06 pm

I'm writing in: Transformers from Summer of '07

but I also want an honorable mention for the trailer for Transformers Summer of '09!

Go Optimus!

http://www.transformersmovie.com/
Ableton | Elektron

Music

telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:19 pm

I vote Milk. It's a film which falls into the "American Hero" category, but still manages to be quirky without having the usual Gus Van Sant "falling houses" stuff. Excellent performance from SP too.

[rant] Slumdog was good in parts, but I never ever want to pay to go into a cinema again and end up watching nearly an hour of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. I don't watch it on TV and I sure as fuck don't want to pay to do so in a fucking cinema. [/rant]

Benjamin Button looks absolutely shit to me.

Looking forward to seeing The Reader. Kate Winslet, mmm. Until she has to accept an award, urgh.

I really liked Gonzo and it would have been cool if it got nominated. I would also have nominated The Diving Bell and The Butterfly, and The Visitor.
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:23 pm

Visitor had great performances, but not best picture material, IMHO.

EARLGREY

Post by EARLGREY » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Milk is a very good movie if it weren't for those cheesy Danny Elfman-strings......It really turns me off when a movie's forcing those Oscar-moments
out of every ****-ing scene. Sp was great, though...
Button is nice and the story is original.....Unfortunately...well...it's like : lets take Forrest Gump and mix it together with The Notebook....
Haven't seen the others...
rgrds

Marx

Post by Marx » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 am

ChiDJ wrote:Really dug Benjamin Button. Quite an interesting take on F Scott Fitzgerald's short story. The effects were pretty cool and the over all message actually made me think about living in the moment more.
benjamin button was complete garbage. The most boring movie I've ever seen

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:22 am

^ I totally snoozed off on Buttons - what a moronic movie!

Also, Nate Silver predicts Oscar winners based on statistical analysis: http://nymag.com/movies/features/54335/

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:33 am

Gran Torino
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

channelite

Post by channelite » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:47 am

I loved how The Wrestler ended. Best ending to a movie in a long time.

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:55 am

1 Up for Slumdog... :D
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

Peter Package

Post by Peter Package » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:27 am

thx1138 wrote:Gran Torino
There ya go. Best Movie and Best Actor.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:58 pm

Peter Package wrote:
thx1138 wrote:Gran Torino
There ya go. Best Movie and Best Actor.
best comedy in a very long while - I LOLed throughout the whole movie.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:09 pm

What's amazing to me is the neverending hype surrounding movies. It's always been there, but has certainly been ramped up in the past 5 years or so. Slumdog is a great example. The amount of hype surrounding this flick is amazing.

Because I don't get to the movies that often, I'll see them on DVD ages later - after I've had time to absorb the neverending praise. It never fails to amaze me just how different my take is on many films. A few examples:

There Will Be Blood
Enormous hype from what is arguably a very tedious film. I was bored out of my fucking skull most of the time. It was watchable, but deserving of ENDLESS praise? Nay.

No Country For Old Men
Hype hype hype. Interesting film and watchable, but c'mon. The novel was okay. No 'The Road', but it was okay.

Million Dollar Baby
omfg. This wins the prize. A very ho-hum story that went on forever. God, I hate boxing and football movies.

:P

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:12 pm

^ and then there was the year Shakespeare In Love defeated Saving Private Ryan for best picture? WTF

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:14 pm

LOL, and how did Gene Wilder get passed over for Willy Wonka!?? WTF? :D

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:05 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:What's amazing to me is the neverending hype surrounding movies. It's always been there, but has certainly been ramped up in the past 5 years or so. Slumdog is a great example. The amount of hype surrounding this flick is amazing.

Because I don't get to the movies that often, I'll see them on DVD ages later - after I've had time to absorb the neverending praise. It never fails to amaze me just how different my take is on many films. A few examples:

There Will Be Blood
Enormous hype from what is arguably a very tedious film. I was bored out of my fucking skull most of the time. It was watchable, but deserving of ENDLESS praise? Nay.

No Country For Old Men
Hype hype hype. Interesting film and watchable, but c'mon. The novel was okay. No 'The Road', but it was okay.

Million Dollar Baby
omfg. This wins the prize. A very ho-hum story that went on forever. God, I hate boxing and football movies.

:P
sounds more like you watch too much TV and have too short of an attention span for long movies.

I watched There Will Be Blood for a second time, I liked it even more. it's a typically long PT Anderson saga, 3 or 4 acts played out in looooong passages but with great rhythm and blocking, cause and effect.

shout out to In Bruges, fun movie!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz