MOTU BPM - Anybody actually buy it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:31 am

Machinesworking wrote:
kb420 wrote: The truth is, I hate Guru's GUI. I think it's the ugliest thing I have ever seen, and I just can't get passed it. It has some great features, but if I had to look at it at all while making beats, I would lose any kind of inspiration or workflow I had.
You know if they made it slightly more 2D it would look just like Live? I Like GURU OK, but lately improvements in Live have made Battery and Live a better choice for me. I echo the Battery library thing, much better sounding collection.

I don't know. Maybe it's the color scheme. It reminds me more of Project 5 than Live.

As far as libraries are concerned, I own Battery 2 and 3, and from what I have heard of Guru, I definitely think that Battery is better. I do like the sounds that I hear from BPM, and wouldn't mind adding them to the collection.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

4ace

Post by 4ace » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:17 pm

I checked it out and as others have said, I'd like the library but between Addictive Drum's and Ableton's Drum Machine i'm set.

I will say that while the GURU GUI could use some work it's a very nice app. to work with.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:54 am

I've been playing with BPM for a bit now, and it does what it's supposed to do well. It's essentially the same as Guru, except for the slicing. Now, it is true that there is a round-about way to slice audio (i.e. I think you can select a portion and drag to a new pad), but the auto chop feature should have been incorporated into BPM at this point. It's not too much to ask considering that Guru, MPC, MV8800 do it already (it's nothing new). True, users could drop another $200 on recycle, but why should we? BPM should have this. I also expect expansion packs to come out rather soon. Anyway, it's not a bad program, but I think they left out some features that will be implemented in the future as updates. Hope that helps.
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:10 am

ajstrax wrote:Now, it is true that there is a round-about way to slice audio (i.e. I think you can select a portion and drag to a new pad), but the auto chop feature should have been incorporated into BPM at this point.
Sounds like it has sample slicing... just not automated.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:59 am

if its got manual slicing thats still cool though it would be better to have both manual and auto for when you want to scream through samples that have alot of transients but just selecting and dragging sounds cool, batt 3 fcuked off on that one, i was about to forget all about bpm until i read that select and drag up above.

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:46 am

I'd never even heard of it!
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:50 pm

A few good features of BPM: the "rack system" works well. Aside from 4 pad banks, you can stack on virtual racks that allow you to play key's, as well as samples. You simply load a synth sound, or pianos, whatever, onto a rack and you can play it with the piano roll editor (which appears right below the racks). You can stack as many racks as you want and combine the sounds. It's getting better for BPM, fellas, didn't mean to rip on it that quickly. I still think that auto chop should have been included though. :D The sound library is also pretty good. Other MOTU products, as well as UVI soundcards, can be used with BPM, and appear on the browser. The sequencer seems to be really tight, but note that the resolution goes up to 32, not 64. They also implemented the same "graph" editing function as GURU, where the pitch, roll, timeshift, etc. are controlled by raising or decreasing the bar in the graph.

I have not had success with the "drag and drop" chopping function yet. Hope this helps.
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Thank you for everybody's feedback, I have been interested in BPM, and think i'll wait it out a while and continue using redrum.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:25 pm

ajstrax wrote:I have it. It's not that great at all. It CANNOT slice audio files. It only allows you to play pre-sliced (e.g., rex, apple loops) files, that's it. It's crazy that in 09 a product comes out claiming to be a sampling drum machine and it cannot slice a sample! I'm sticking with my MV8800 and Live 7. I'm done with products like this. Guru is better IMO.
Can you tell me what format the library is in?

STRATEGY

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:34 am

anyone know how well the sp1200 mode emulation sounds like yet?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Contra

Post by Contra » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:20 pm

yea was debating buying this or upgrading to live 7 (drum racks) and session drums.

djconrad

Post by djconrad » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:35 am

Am I right that in the UK BPM is £299 and in the US $279??? 8O