Live 8: Finally "warp" feature added to sampler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:18 am

Willyum wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:Let's get it right Willyum - The cooler, modern term is FANBOY, not 'yes man' !! :lol:

And the above was posted in case you didn't know that information - Grappadura's info (good call man) is not a new feature in L8, it exists in L7 too.
Ok, you handled me picking a fight with you pretty good, so.... I tried what you guys are talking about but I'm at work with only a computer keyboard, didn't work with sampler or simpler. I'll try again on a regular keyboard... thanx
Bro, it works with CLIPS not with Sampler of Simpler using a midi keyboard.

1. place a sample into a clip
2. press an note on your midi controller - this is your root
3. press another note below the root - this is your outer lower note
4. press another note above the root - this is your outer upper note

There you go - slicing sampler.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:51 am

yes, we've got our thinking caps on now.

No hard feelings anyone, just in a mischievous mood tonight :)

Peace.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Illum

Re: Live 8: Finally "warp" feature added to sampler?

Post by Illum » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:09 am

kb420 wrote:Why don't you warp the sample anyway you want to in the normal way and then use the slice feature set to "slice to warp marker" mode. Then you can make a drum rack out of your sample and have an instance of Simpler assigned to every slice.
I didn't think you could make a slice preset with instances of simpler in every slot of a drum rack and have each slice automatically drop into the first slot of the simpler.

Could you explain how your doing this?
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:54 am

steve-o wrote: Bro, it works with CLIPS not with Sampler of Simpler using a midi keyboard.

1. place a sample into a clip
2. press an note on your midi controller - this is your root
3. press another note below the root - this is your outer lower note
4. press another note above the root - this is your outer upper note

There you go - slicing sampler.
You are the f'ing man! I learned about this a long time ago and forgot all about it.
This is different than What I was looking for with tuning my samples and drums without losing time, but this is just as valuable for other uses

And sorry if I'm giving others grief, I've just been a little.... well.... I just wanna see Live be better than the rest of the DAWs, like it used to be before they all started catching up. Then I go into the beta forum and see people looking for work-arounds in new features that aren't quite right yet, instead of just telling the Abes certain things are not working right gets me mad. It's Like the Fanboys are Ok with letting all the other DAWs catch up and make Live Average.
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:19 am

I probably just haven't explained it properly...

When I tune all my samples to be in key, and drop or slice them on a drum rack, I want my samples to be responsive to tempo just as they are in the clips and remain in tune.

as of now, if I do a tempo change with samples that have a definitive end, The clips will match the new tempo and stay in tune, but the samples in drum racks will not, they will either be to long or short. And yes, that is standard for every other DAW. But Ableton CREATED warping, it should be incorporated into the instruments by now.
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

tricil

Post by tricil » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:49 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Grappadura wrote:also, if you assign a clip first hitting c1, and while pressing c1 hit c2, then you will have time stretched pitch change over the keyboard range c1 to c2 for that clip. Pretty cool feature.
Pretty cool if you don't plan on using your keyboard to actually play any other instruments in your live set.
That's what MIDI channels are for :twisted:
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:01 am

Illum wrote:
kb420 wrote:Why don't you warp the sample anyway you want to in the normal way and then use the slice feature set to "slice to warp marker" mode. Then you can make a drum rack out of your sample and have an instance of Simpler assigned to every slice.
I didn't think you could make a slice preset with instances of simpler in every slot of a drum rack and have each slice automatically drop into the first slot of the simpler.

Wow! My bad. I thought that when you sliced a sample, each slice got it's own instance of Simpler. You can actually do what I said and work in that way if you have Sampler. Once you slice your sample, you will have one instance of Simpler with all the slices in it. If you then change all of your slices' Simpler to Sampler, you will be able to edit every slice with all of the parameters you would find in Simpler, and then some.

Also, you can simply unmap the default Macros. That will be like having a different instance of Simpler for every slice because you can tweak each slice individually without needing Sampler.
Last edited by kb420 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:29 am

Willyum wrote:I probably just haven't explained it properly...

When I tune all my samples to be in key, and drop or slice them on a drum rack, I want my samples to be responsive to tempo just as they are in the clips and remain in tune.

as of now, if I do a tempo change with samples that have a definitive end, The clips will match the new tempo and stay in tune, but the samples in drum racks will not, they will either be to long or short. And yes, that is standard for every other DAW. But Ableton CREATED warping, it should be incorporated into the instruments by now.

Ok. Good one. You got me puzzled now. I understand exactly what you want to do. I'm just trying to see if there is a different approach.

Why don't you try this? Once you create your sample arrangement/beat with Drum Racks, open up another audio track in Live with your drum rack track as the source and record it into Live. Now you can make that a clip. Once it's a clip, your problem is solved because you said that clips respond the way you want them too. Just turn off the drum rack track and use your clip instead. It's sort of a work around, but that should get the job done because you can warp the new clip.

Got it? Let me know if that works.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:28 pm

willyum, I think I understand the problem you are describing. I work around this by using the default slicer preset and carefully setting the release and loop/fade knobs. this will fill up "gaps" with tiny loops of sound, and works surprisingly good if you don't veer too much from the original tempo. really i just use this as kind of a "transient" based warping.

truth is, i think live 8's new warping mode will completely replace this technique for me, although slicing will still be neat when you want to do little tricks with the slices.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:51 am

kb420 and andrewbrewer, thanks for the tips, and I have a couple of work-arounds for the problem but all of them cut into work flow. I'm trying to just get them to add time stretch to their simpler/sampler and get the problem solved properly.

There are quite a few of us on this board that have been campaigning for time stretch in simplers for a while now.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:52 am

kb420 and andrewbrewer, thanks for the tips, and I have a couple of work-arounds for the problem but all of them cut into work flow. I'm trying to just get them to add time stretch to their simpler/sampler and get the problem solved properly.

There are quite a few of us on this board that have been campaigning for time stretch in simplers for a while now.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:14 am

kb420 wrote:
Illum wrote:

Wow! My bad. I thought that when you sliced a sample, each slice got it's own instance of Simpler. You can actually do what I said and work in that way if you have Sampler. Once you slice your sample, you will have one instance of Simpler with all the slices in it. If you then change all of your slices' Simpler to Sampler, you will be able to edit every slice with all of the parameters you would find in Simpler, and then some.

Also, you can simply unmap the default Macros. That will be like having a different instance of Simpler for every slice because you can tweak each slice individually without needing Sampler.
Yo guys, I'm pretty sure that each slice gets its own instance of simpler. I sliced according to warp marker using the chord / stutter preset and it gave me eight different simplers.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:53 am

steve-o wrote: Yo guys, I'm pretty sure that each slice gets its own instance of simpler. I sliced according to warp marker using the chord / stutter preset and it gave me eight different simplers.

Try it again. You will see that it's not really eight different simplers. It's one Simpler with slices set out across the sample, and eight of the parameters are mapped to the macros in the drum rack.

If, however, you unmap the macros, you can treat each slice like it's own instance of Simpler.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:10 pm

kb420 wrote:
steve-o wrote: Yo guys, I'm pretty sure that each slice gets its own instance of simpler. I sliced according to warp marker using the chord / stutter preset and it gave me eight different simplers.

Try it again. You will see that it's not really eight different simplers. It's one Simpler with slices set out across the sample, and eight of the parameters are mapped to the macros in the drum rack.

If, however, you unmap the macros, you can treat each slice like it's own instance of Simpler.
I must not be understanding something here. I just took an audio file, sliced it to 16ths, and got a drum rack filled with tons of simplers. I dragged one of the simplers onto its own track. Maybe I misunderstood the original question?

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Steve 0, check your pm.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-