[Max for Live] what will be the first device you'll build ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Fieldy

Post by Fieldy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:17 pm

G. wrote:Live sync over the network...

great idea! really wondering that that`s not implemented

Low Frequency Obstinator

Post by Low Frequency Obstinator » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:53 pm

I'd like a guitar fx unit thats controled in the same way as the Virtual Theramin by Cycling 74 (Controled with a web cam).

Would be great to controll the wah-wah etc with just the movement of the guitar neck.

To be honest, I didnt have much joy with the web-cam-theramin when i tried it so could alternatively use a wii remote attached to the headstock??

Mind you, all this Max device makings a bit too boffin for me so would have to pay for it, say 10 bucks?

Anyone willing to sell devices for 10 bucks?

Could even be the start of a rewarding and fullfilling career for someone!
Live (yoghurt) - MBP- Circuit Bent Rampant Rabbit - Mongolian Nose Flute - 'The Marvelous Mechanical Mouse Organ' (on loan from Bagpuss) and a Swanee Whistle made from a used heroin syringe.

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Fieldy wrote:

You can already sync Live over a network using various "midi over lan" technologies. (included on MAC, 3rd party addon for windows.

But I assume he's talking about lower level sync via OSC or something.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:09 pm

doh. deleted double post.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

G.

Post by G. » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm

tempus3r wrote:
Fieldy wrote:

You can already sync Live over a network using various "midi over lan" technologies. (included on MAC, 3rd party addon for windows.

But I assume he's talking about lower level sync via OSC or something.
Yes, for example, sharing parameters/automations, loading sets/clips, using/sharing ethernet devices, and all other things M4L will allow to do...

g

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:56 am

db91977 wrote:Hmm, this is similar to the philosophy of those people who break into your home to steal a $500 TV, because, after all, they couldn't afford to buy one, and they really needed a TV.

That's magnanimous of you to be so free with your stuff. You wouldn't mind, then, if we borrow your car and forget to return it?

:roll:
Geezus wrote:I am perfectly fine with people stealing my stuff, music or otherwise. However, I myself am not going to just hand out a year's worth of work for free. I'll let the pirates pirate and anyone else who feels they can spare a measly 10 bucks give me the 10 bucks. Its not that big of a financial commitment to really warrant vast amounts of piracy. I pirated Live because I have no income so spending $500 bucks on something that was available for free wasn't really an option for me. Again, I fully intend to buy the suite this time around because I can probably do some accounting trickery and I think they deserve it anyway. If people feel the same about my stuff then great, but I'm not going to be pissed off or judge people for stealing it.
yeah, except that you cant copy+paste a tv. seriously, digital copies and real world objects are entirely different.

now, i dont want to get into a copyright/copyleft discussion here and im not supporting piracy, im just saying that you cant compare a digital object to a physical one.

now, where were we?
oh right, M4L.
now, the new loope instrument can set tempo based on the first clip right?
im not sure if you can use this timing information to set it as master bpm for your whole project (rather then just the looper instance(s) then), but if you cant, surely that wouldnt be so hard to make with m4l?

i assume that you can connect max straight to the devices to send/retrieve data, right?

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 am

friend_kami wrote:
yeah, except that you cant copy+paste a tv. seriously, digital copies and real world objects are entirely different.

now, i dont want to get into a copyright/copyleft discussion here and im not supporting piracy, im just saying that you cant compare a digital object to a physical one.

now, where were we?
oh right, M4L.
im not sure if you can use this timing information to set it as master bpm for your whole project (rather then just the looper instance(s) then), but if you cant, surely that wouldnt be so hard to make with m4l?

i assume that you can connect max straight to the devices to send/retrieve data, right?
1) yeah his argument was weak since digital copies can be copied infinitely without any actual loss of resource other than hard drive space and bandwidth. I'll probably just make it donationware if I ever get around to actually making the fucking thing.

2) Couldnt you just use the looper to record blank audio (I.E dont set up the inputs for that track) to set the tempo? No need for MAX for that.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Geezus wrote:
friend_kami wrote:

now, where were we?
oh right, M4L.

1) yeah his argument was weak since digital copies can be copied infinitely without any actual loss of resource other than hard drive space and bandwidth. I'll probably just make it donationware if I ever get around to actually making the fucking thing.

2) Couldnt you just use the looper to record blank audio (I.E dont set up the inputs for that track) to set the tempo? No need for MAX for that.
but what i want/need is a way to be able to hit record, record a passage and then let this passage define the master tempo of my whole project, so that once i start looping i can simply hit a trigger to launch clips/scenes ontop of this passage, instead of adjusting the tempo of these predefined clips and scenes to match to the newly recorded clip by hand.

im doing a live electronic/acoustic setup and we would like to be able to have as much freedom as possible and play as much as possible live but due to the fact that we have alot of electronic stuffs going on in the background we need a way to launch these things that fits in tempo with what we are playing live. we could launch those thing first but we would like to be able to let our live recorded instruments record a loop and let htis loop define the master bpm is the current project, other then one of us having to drop an instruments to define the bpm (only two of us). if we launch the pre-recorded stuffs first it makes for a more static live setting, which is what we are trying to get away from as much as possible ;)

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:24 pm

friend_kami wrote:
but what i want/need is a way to be able to hit record, record a passage and then let this passage define the master tempo of my whole project, so that once i start looping i can simply hit a trigger to launch clips/scenes ontop of this passage, instead of adjusting the tempo of these predefined clips and scenes to match to the newly recorded clip by hand.

im doing a live electronic/acoustic setup and we would like to be able to have as much freedom as possible and play as much as possible live but due to the fact that we have alot of electronic stuffs going on in the background we need a way to launch these things that fits in tempo with what we are playing live. we could launch those thing first but we would like to be able to let our live recorded instruments record a loop and let htis loop define the master bpm is the current project, other then one of us having to drop an instruments to define the bpm (only two of us). if we launch the pre-recorded stuffs first it makes for a more static live setting, which is what we are trying to get away from as much as possible ;)
i'm pretty sure live already does this. I dont have the beta so I cant say for sure but in the video it said the looper sets the project tempo, so all your clips will automatically sync to whatever you set with the looper. If you dont actually want any sound to come out of it but you want it to set the tempo, you can record blank audio.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:27 pm

friend_kami wrote: what i want/need is a way to be able to hit record, record a passage and then let this passage define the master tempo of my whole project,
+1!

This is what I do too. And Live's incapability to support this real-time performance style was the reason I had to find me another software. Here's a demo video:
http://www.perboysen.com/archives/132

I'm hoping 8.0 will finally make this possible within Ableton Live!
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:04 pm

ahyeah, ive seen that video. yesterday, to be exact, after reading about your mockstep sequencer ;)

now, would does it fair with swing/shuffle beats and/or other time signatures then your average boring 4/4?

radib

Post by radib » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:11 pm

if its possible then some kind of pipeline, to connect midi parameters. say: IF parameter "frequency" of "device 63" > 87 THEN parameter "osc1 level" of "device 02" = "vca level" of "device 08" x 0.075 x tempo. just bullshit example, but something like that. letting the devices dance with each other without having to automate everything manually.
-

"after all it wouldn´t have been possible without the impossible."

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:15 pm

radib wrote:if its possible then some kind of pipeline, to connect midi parameters. say: IF parameter "frequency" of "device 63" > 87 THEN parameter "osc1 level" of "device 02" = "vca level" of "device 08" x 0.075 x tempo.
absolutely and very simple to do.

for anyone who hasn't used max/msp before I can GUARANTEE you that it's easier to use than you've been lead to believe.

this with the 5.0 release of max/msp is an amazing turn of events. with jitter included, zomfg.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:37 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
radib wrote:if its possible then some kind of pipeline, to connect midi parameters. say: IF parameter "frequency" of "device 63" > 87 THEN parameter "osc1 level" of "device 02" = "vca level" of "device 08" x 0.075 x tempo.

for anyone who hasn't used max/msp before I can GUARANTEE you that it's easier to use than you've been lead to believe.

this with the 5.0 release of max/msp is an amazing turn of events. with jitter included, zomfg.
just curious as to how much i need to put my os on adiet in order to run jitter and live as one single device. seems to me that jitter+live would use a hell of alot of cpu, regardless of how good you patch.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:40 pm

friend_kami wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:

just curious as to how much i need to put my os on adiet in order to run jitter and live as one single device. seems to me that jitter+live would use a hell of alot of cpu, regardless of how good you patch.
How so? Most of the Jitter patches I run use very little CPU at all... perhaps you're talking about traditional "VJ" type things? In that case you'd be happy to know that Jitter can do processing on the GPU, including mixing, keying, all that stuff.