More beta slots available

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:35 pm

mdk wrote:i dont see a major problem with the current setup. i know there are people who have been using live a long time feel like they have some right to be considered before others as a tester but I think that having people who are 'new' to live test it is a good idea.

from my own experience developing software and receiving feedback from testers you often find different types of bugs from new users than people who are familiar. new users dont have the same usage pattern and dont have the same expectations. Also they dont have the same equipment, my computer is tuned for running audio software as I would suspect are most computers of 'professionals' so we may be missing a whole set of bugs which others would find.

what i do think is vital (as Angstrom pointed out in the beta announcement thread) is letting testers know about reporting procedures.

How do i write a good bug report?
Where do i send the info?
What info do i send?

This needs to be made as clear and straightforward as possible.
I think that just about sums it up for me too. Nice.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 pm

Had a chance to grab it last night, but then I thought nah, I don't have time to do this shit orderly for the time being, so I just dropped it. Last time I mixed our latest release with beta version of 7. It was funny cause the development became so graphic: by every new beta version I could go further without crashing.

It must have been the one before the latest release though. 8O
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:56 pm

leedsquietman wrote:I made it in this time. Yay !

However, I think that Ableton should prioritize it's betas for users who have been with the product for a long time especially those who were in before MIDI (Live 4).

While that would preclude me from a lot of stuff, given that Live 6 was the point I joined, I feel sad for those people who upgraded from Live 1 or 2 to L7 and then some noob who bought the program last week gets to beta ahead of them. There's something just plain wrong about that.
Yeah - I was a software tester for a year, so I have some background in finding bugs!

:?

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:07 pm

If I write that I'm a good beta tester, will I get a beta serial, too? :lol: :P

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:22 pm

LeifonMars wrote:Had a chance to grab it last night, but then I thought nah, I don't have time to do this shit orderly for the time being, so I just dropped it.
Same here. I had the opportunity to download from the 1st round of public testing, and was about to download when I thought there's better qualified people out there who should be using this slot instead.

That said, I'll bet that there's people downloading the betas not for the sake of proper testing but for the sake of getting a "preview" and saying they're on the beta program.

To those actually doing proper beta testing - thanks. I appreciate the efforts (and frustrations) you'll go through to help make the program better for us later on. :-)
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

Glennzone

I would Love to be a beta tester for Live 8 !

Post by Glennzone » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:44 pm

Count me in again for this version !

Thanks,
Glennzone
HW : MacMini (OSX, 16GB),
HP ZBbook 15 (W7 64-bit, 32GB RAM)

Various musical\non-musical MIDI controllers

SW : Ableton Live 8.4.2 Suite (using MIDI only), M4L, Max6, Custom Max app
Cubase Elements 7, VEP5, Komplete9, SD2.2

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:42 pm

let me subscribe to this - see if I get lucky with the F5 button tomorrow!

Mr Bab Kubwa - BedRoom Producer extraordinaire

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:59 am

fatrabbit wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:I made it in this time. Yay !

However, I think that Ableton should prioritize it's betas for users who have been with the product for a long time especially those who were in before MIDI (Live 4).

While that would preclude me from a lot of stuff, given that Live 6 was the point I joined, I feel sad for those people who upgraded from Live 1 or 2 to L7 and then some noob who bought the program last week gets to beta ahead of them. There's something just plain wrong about that.
Yeah - I was a software tester for a year, so I have some background in finding bugs!

:?
Well I have a degree in Audio Engineering and now I am a Software Analyst/Tester
Ive been using Digital Audio Software since Logic 2.5 in '95 and Ableton since #3.

I would like to think that I would be a valuable resource for Ableton but I cant say that this means that
they do not have a *good* plan and that i would be any real use to them more than any other users at this stage of their development.

:D
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

madhattared

Post by madhattared » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:21 pm

nbinder wrote:Missed again :cry:

Guys, seriously... you can't open new slots on Saturday evening :evil:
seriously? why would they do that. Just mean.
Live 7 hackintosh 10.5.2 q6600 raptor 4gig x3d pk FW410 bcr2k xboard49 Ultrasone DJ1 BM5a

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:32 pm

madhattared wrote:

Yeah!! Let those bastards sit on the fixes till Monday and waste 2 days of Beta testing!
My feelings are more important than this software!
Who do they think they are anyway? Working on weekends.. :roll:

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:43 pm

madhattared wrote:

German efficiency. :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

lola

Post by lola » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Missed again