ableton 8 freeeeeee realllly.....????????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:20 am

Well thanks for letting us all know about it anyway. :D

jsn

Post by jsn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:36 am

doc holiday wrote:
jsn wrote:
Actually,..YES, it damn well should also apply to all of us who helped the company BEFORE when they needed sales (to fund the research and production of Live 8, mind you). this "promotion" that you are discussing here, if read correctly, is not fair to existing Suite license holders OR customers who hold Live 7 license and all Suite component licenses as well.

IF this was interpreted correctly, it is a sign of how severe companies are hurting for profit -- turning backs on their own existing customer base while dealing out fresh incentives to newcomers (this is not a new idea). It is an issue of morals when it comes down to it. It is no wonder the consumer waits until the last minute to purchase anything these days. The more desperate the economy the better the "deals". It seems the purchasing public has finally caught on, as well as the the non-purchasing (software-cracking) public (that ultimately prevails in the end by forcing the prices down and watching as the incentives pile up for everything they always wished for but too lazy to save for it).

I also interpreted this announcement this way when I read it this morning. I HOPE it is wrong or that there is MORE to it which can have positive effect on existing Suite license holders and those who have Live 7 + All Suite component licenses. I've written Ableton about this issue. I will post again when I have received more information.

:roll:

have you ever heard of a "promotion" or perhaps a "sale"

companies have them.

if you buy something today and it costs less tomorrow, well.. you had it for a day.
happens all the time

your complaint has no base
it is morally incorrect and not fair to existing suite license holders, no matter how you twist it, cool forum guy. now walk away with your sarcasms. i won't be giving you the pleasure of further replies on this forum.

jsn

Post by jsn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:39 am

n0nce wrote:Bump.

I just want everyone to be aware of what stupid dick's jsn and michaellpenman are.

Go play with Reason, fools.
actually, my friend, people like yourself do not belong in a forum at all. you are only putting your immaturity on display. no further replies to you. you are not worth the time or text. what is this place? a pre-school playground?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:44 pm

I understand that you would like the same deal as new customers are getting: The current version of Live and a free upgrade when the new, announced version is released.

I have great news for you: It's entirely possible, here is what you do:
Wait until Live 9 is announced, then buy 8. Ableton will then upgrade you for free to 9 when it's released.

Here's another cool trick: A 50% percent discount on any computer you would like. Go to a shop, and select the model you want. Now wait around 2 years before you buy it. Bingo!

It's easy when you know how.
The oracle has spoken! :P

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:52 pm

what jsn is forgetting is that
"just cause that's the way you want it doesn't mean that's fair."

all too often people mistakenly think "this is what I want, therefor that is what is fair"

it's a bit like a child saying "ouch, my tooth hurts. it's not fair!" when tooth aches have nothing to do with fair or unfair.

it's called a promotion, just like a sale. you buy a car and they put it on sale a few months later you don't get to go back and say hey I want in on the sale price. you should treat me right cause I'm an existing customer. they would laugh at you.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Oscar F

Post by Oscar F » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:56 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:what jsn is forgetting is that
"just cause that's the way you want it doesn't mean that's fair."

all too often people mistakenly think "this is what I want, therefor that is what is fair"

it's a bit like a child saying "ouch, my tooth hurts. it's not fair!" when tooth aches have nothing to do with fair or unfair.

it's called a promotion, just like a sale. you buy a car and they put it on sale a few months later you don't get to go back and say hey I want in on the sale price. you should treat me right cause I'm an existing customer. they would laugh at you.

Words of wisdom right there.
Lets be honest, you aren't FORCED to upgrade either.
If Live 7 does all you need right now, what's the rush anyway ?
As a consumer you get to excercise "choice" also.
Just remember that mmmmmkay.
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.

n0nce

Post by n0nce » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:12 am

jsn wrote:
n0nce wrote:Bump.

I just want everyone to be aware of what stupid dick's jsn and michaellpenman are.

Go play with Reason, fools.
actually, my friend, people like yourself do not belong in a forum at all. you are only putting your immaturity on display. no further replies to you. you are not worth the time or text. what is this place? a pre-school playground?
I'm not your friend, dumbass. And I repeat --- you are a complete fucking idiot.

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:11 am

Wasn't going to chime in but....

Let's follow your reasoning out a bit.

You already own LIVE 7, correct. Now you think that you should get a free upgrade to LIVE 8 because you are a legitimate and long term user of LIVE and have LIVE 7.

What happens when you get your free upgrade to LIVE 8 and LIVE 9 comes out? Do you then feel entitled to a free upgrade to LIVE 9?

If that would be the case, Ableton's revenue stream would only be from new users. After awhile, there wouldn't be a sufficient pool of new users for the company to support itself. Therefore, it would fail and there would be no new LIVE versions.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 am

although quite a few years ago I bought fruityloops 2, or maybe 3, and then a month later they came out with the next version and I was all upset. the reason I was all upset was because I had read on their site "free updates for live" and I thought that meant "get all the new version of fruityloops from here on out" I was obviously not familiar with how the software world works and wasn't even familiar with the difference between an update and an upgrade but I eventually got over it and learned that thats how the software world works. I was out of line for getting upset obviously but you should have seen me bit*h about it on the fruityloops forum :)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:33 am

what some of you guys seem to forget is that Live 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 are all independent products, not necessarily loose parts that need each other to function..

Live 8 has nothing to do with Live 7.. you dont have to buy it just because you can..

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:36 am

jsn wrote:IF this was interpreted correctly, it is a sign of how severe companies are hurting for profit -- turning backs on their own existing customer base while dealing out fresh incentives to newcomers (this is not a new idea). It is an issue of morals when it comes down to it. It is no wonder the consumer waits until the last minute to purchase anything these days. The more desperate the economy the better the "deals". It seems the purchasing public has finally caught on, as well as the the non-purchasing (software-cracking) public (that ultimately prevails in the end by forcing the prices down and watching as the incentives pile up for everything they always wished for but too lazy to save for it).
Every ableton update in many years has had this kind of grace period with a free update if you buy after the announcement, it has nothing to do with the current economic climate. Furthermore, it is extremely common in audio software in general -- for instance, cycling 74 had the same deal with max 5 was announced, etc. It is simple economics; (as someone else already said) announcing a new product without this kind of grace period means no sales until the new product is out.

Also, I don't understand why any company would ever have a moral imperative to provide free [major] updates. It is great that some do, but why should they have to? It is not as if your existing software will stop working once live 8 is out. (Live 6 even got a bugfix update or two after live 7 was released.) Your purchase of live 7 wasn't to fund live 8, it was to pay for the software that you received as a result of the purchase.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:13 am

djsynchro wrote:
Wait until Live 9 is announced, then buy 8. Ableton will then upgrade you for free to 9 when it's released.

I would be thrilled if they did that, but that's not what happened this time.

STRATEGY

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:18 am

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
djsynchro wrote:

STRATEGY
thats exactly what they are doing, once the next version is announced if you buy the previous you'll get the next when it's released.

they've always done it that way.

n0nce

Post by n0nce » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:24 am

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
djsynchro wrote:

STRATEGY
you are clearly an idiot, too. this thread is chock full of 'em.