dell xps m1530 experiences

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Crash

Post by Crash » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:01 pm

kuniklo wrote:I just confirmed this morning that Live runs ok on my bootcamp vista partition *if* Aero is enabled. Otherwise the ui becomes very very sluggish. I guess that confirms what other people have posted here although it sounds like this isn't completely universal.
Live 7.0.12 Beta seems to finally fix that. Problem is that Ableton don't seem to even know themselves that they fixed it and still deny it to be a bug at all. Whatever, if it works now and in the future then that's the major thing that counts.
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Crash wrote:
kuniklo wrote:I just confirmed this morning that Live runs ok on my bootcamp vista partition *if* Aero is enabled. Otherwise the ui becomes very very sluggish. I guess that confirms what other people have posted here although it sounds like this isn't completely universal.
Live 7.0.12 Beta seems to finally fix that. Problem is that Ableton don't seem to even know themselves that they fixed it and still deny it to be a bug at all. Whatever, if it works now and in the future then that's the major thing that counts.
I'm glad to hear that because I just bought an M1530. At <$1100 this seems like a great deal.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:40 am

Just to follow up here:

The 1530 seems like a great Live machine, even running Vista. I had to turn off a bunch of devices and services but that's good practice anyway. The wireless NIC causes the occasional glitch so I leave it off.

I'm having a hard time seeing why you'd spend almost twice as much for a similarly specced MBP.

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:34 am

angryman wrote: I use a version made by someone i don't know who called LEO XP you can google it and it is like a XP/Vista/Leopard Hybrid . It is rock solid runs lean and looks great better than Vista and has a heap of very usefull features and Live runs like super mean on it. Best OS i have ever used and easiest to use .
very interesting. i cant find much info on google tho? have u any links, i just get links to torrents ??!?!? any info please would be great.

im getting a new laptop so i might try this out.

edit: found this...
http://ideneb.ihackintosh.net/

Crash

Post by Crash » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:15 am

kuniklo wrote:
Crash wrote:
I'm glad to hear that because I just bought an M1530. At <$1100 this seems like a great deal.
It's not a complete fix. You may need to turn Live's priority to "Realtime" either with or without Aero still. Else you may suffer from less performance (dropouts).
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:05 pm

Crash wrote:You may need to turn Live's priority to "Realtime" either with or without Aero still. Else you may suffer from less performance (dropouts).
Doesn't seem to be the case here. I racked up operators well past 70% usage last night without any glitches, which is not something I could say for my iMac or my Macbook.

This machine is *fast*. I was thinking about building a quad core xp machine for home but I'm not sure if i really need it now.