Anyone using Edirol FA-66 Firewire interface with a PC?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
choice

Anyone using Edirol FA-66 Firewire interface with a PC?

Post by choice » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:07 am

I have one hooked up to a pc. I notice that i get a small but annoying hum from the computer that goes into my monitors. Have you experienced this? Its like the whirl of the hard disk or something that i can hear in the monitors? Any ideas how to get rid of it?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:13 am

turn off your monitors.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

choice

Post by choice » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:20 am

Im using the monitors for playback, It happens when there is no sound from ableton

arafel

Post by arafel » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:30 am

Got an Fa-66 with my Mac.

But have had similar issue (with several different interfaces at times), in different venues and studio setups.

First - break your setup apart and test each component seperately to isolate the issue (PC, fa-66, monitors). Use the PC headphone jack to the monitors, run fa-66 with an mp3 player input, have a buddy with a laptop come over and test your fa-66. It takes time - but you will know the gear better though.

Basic suggestions:

I will assume that you have the Fa-66 hooked up by firewire to your PC (not the optical in, or PC into other gear then into an Fa-66 input).

#1 - Check your cables. Are they shielded? Move your audio cables away from your PC, electronic gear & power cables - it is possible to pick up EM interference and your monitors could be amping that up (like pink noise or a ground hum). Change firewire cable (check it). Wornout cables are a nightmare you cannot see.

#2 - monitors themselves could be in a ground fault loop (power hum up and thru the grounding plug). Change outlets/ circuits that the monitors are plugged into. Fa-66 has a grounding screw on the back - try using it - connect to same ground as monitor circuit. Use an extension cord without the grounding plug (sry- dont know if this exists oversees?) to isolate the ground out.

#3 - PC could be transmitting a RF signal that the monitors are picking up and amping into audible range. Had this issue with my G5 until i turned 'nap' off to make sure the processors never rest - as the rest state created a churping in my studio mates self-powered monitors. Check PC - use different programs and/ or drivers to see if problem is software.

Good Luck
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

choice

Post by choice » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:35 am

Cool thanks for all the suggestions. i feared i would have to do something like this

cavern

Post by cavern » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:52 am

im using a fa66 with a sony viao. i havent had any issues. do you have an external hard drive in the vicinity? is phantom power on? do you have a lo-z mic(sm7 for instance) plugged into input 2/r with the hi-z option on?

overall i love this interface for the price.

cyklops

Post by cyklops » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:30 pm

i had issues like this but with different gear,

if you have a 3 pin plug on your pc,s power supply cut the ground out, for me this worked