NO SLIDER FOR MIDI TRACKS VOLUME!!!!!!????

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
robocop

NO SLIDER FOR MIDI TRACKS VOLUME!!!!!!????

Post by robocop » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:12 pm

:evil:

1.NO SLIDER FOR MIDI TRACKS = UNABLE TO USE MACKIE CONTROL TO FADE OUT MIDI TRACKS.
Also if you use the External Instrument plugin, it assume you have one audio physical out/in for each midi track, IT IS NOT TRUE FOR A BLOFELD FOR EX. WHERE YOU HAVE 1 STEREO OUT FOR 16 MIDI PARTS, if you use 1 Ext. Instrument plug for each midi tracks, you'll get duplicate audio in, that doesn't make sense.

2.UNABLE TO KEEP AN 'EXT AUDIO IN' CHANNEL FREE FROM 'SOLO' WHEN SOLO A MIDI TRACK.SO FOR MULTI MIDI INSTRUMENT(Clavia G2 4midi>2out, Blofeld 16midi>1out) if you solo a single midi channel , the audio in will shut out.Crazy!!!!!

Ableton Live surely isn't very good at MIDI :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

See ya :arrow:

filterstein

Post by filterstein » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:39 pm

1. That's because midi instruments don't have a midi fader for volume in real life either. But you could assign midi controller number 7 to the mackie.
Or you could record it to an audio track and fade that out.

2. check your preferences :oops:

AND MAYBE YOU CAN STOP SHOUTING AND READ UP A LITTLE BEFORE YOU POST BUGS :cry:

robocop

Post by robocop » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:50 pm

filterstein wrote:1. That's because midi instruments don't have a midi fader for volume in real life either. But you could assign midi controller number 7 to the mackie.

You don't know what you are talking about...
Thanks anyway.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:11 pm

robocop wrote:
filterstein wrote:1. That's because midi instruments don't have a midi fader for volume in real life either. But you could assign midi controller number 7 to the mackie.

You don't know what you are talking about...
Thanks anyway.
He's right, though skimmed a bit on the details.
Think about it, the only MIDI data you can use a volume slider for is velocity.
So put a velocity plugin on the MIDI Track and assign your Mackie slider to the "Out Hi" parameter.

About 2. You can alter the way Solo behaves. But none of the modes currently available really work well with multi-part instruments. Its a known issue and folder tracks have already been requested. Not much more else you can do besides developing a workflow with what there is.

robocop

Post by robocop » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:32 pm

I am a bit sorry about all this..., Filterstein, didn't mean what I said :? ...actually I was bumpin an old chimera from the dark side of the soft : http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= and http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= or http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= and..... :roll:
So I was expecting more...live 8 maybe?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:13 pm

robocop wrote:
longjohns wrote:reading his other thread, he does in this case want a velocity slider which responds to being controlled by mackie emulation
Longjohns, YOU UNDERSTAND ME BETTER THAN MYSELF :lol:

TO CLEAR MY POST:

Problem:
With a BCF2000 in MackieControl mode, no volume/velocity fader automation possible on midi tracks without instruments (external midi out gear).

Solutions:
1.(not for me)Use the External Instruments Ableton device plug (wich is nice) and route the audio of my external gear in my soundcard (but I don't have enough audio input to map each separate midi channel)

2.(for me).Forget the Mackie emulation and then use a Velocity plug on each track with a proper midi cc (7 or what Smile ever)

3.wait for Live 8
So what do you expect in Live 8? A velocity plugin attached to a MIDI Track by default?
Despite our countless talks on this subject, you still seem to think that somehow a function for CC 7 on MIDI tracks will appear out of thin air.
It'll be a long wait.

And what you say about having multiple clips in a single track that will need velocity adjustments being too much work. Does that mean your audio tracks mix themselves?
If you assign multiple clips to multiple chains, you have multiple volume controls for all the clips. You can set the volumes correctly and still scale it all down with a velocity plugin. Thats is, if your sounds don't alter too much with Velocity.

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 pm

hoffman2k wrote: So what do you expect in Live 8? A velocity plugin attached to a MIDI Track by default?
Velocity is not the same as Volume.
I am talking about the CC#7,let's call it MIDI VOLUME if you like,but with a visual feeback(slider) when using real midi instruments.I don't understand what's wrong with the idea of having a simple slider on a midi track(ProTools,Logic,Cubase...).That won't hurt anybody......?Maybe having the possibility to display it or not, for everybody needs?

I LOVE LIVE, LIVE IS SO COOL, I just want it to feet more with my needs.
And again, Velocity is not the way to go.

Regards

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:43 pm

But thats all those sliders in other programs do.. They control velocity on MIDI tracks.
However, they also send out CC 7. You can make ANYTHING do that.

CC7 is sent to the hardware which on most hardware units controls the volume of the part linked to the MIDI channel CC 7 is sent on.

So what you want is a slider there that already sends out CC7.
2 methods off the top of my head:

1) Since you work with Mackie control, just add an audio track in the position you want your MIDI track to be. Ie, Track 2 sends out CC7 on channel 2.

2) Bypass Mackie for this single control. Add ANY device to the MIDI track you're working with. Turn it off and assign CC 7 to it.
When you control that parameter, CC 7 is sent out from Live out of its Remote output. If that output is directed at your synth, you'll be able to control the volume and even automate it with clips. Session CC recording even works like this.

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:19 pm

Ohh nice!! I am going to try that :)
Also I have to investigate a bit more on all this and see if I can find a trick to do it, I did try the velocity plug with a cc7 assigned on it, but when you use a synth most of the time velocity is assign to filter freq, so fading velocity will not sound the same as if you fade cc7 ONLY.
Secondly I had bad results trying to slave Live to midi command,... if I drag the volume env in clip view with my mouse, the external gear respond fast, but when controlling Live with midi and then tell him to transmit midi remote was very unstable(latency)...
What would have been cool also, maybe a dummy Plugin that will act as a 'virtual slider', like an Ableton Live External instrument plugin, but without the audio in routing stuff on it.....

Thanks for your patience and sorry for being a litlle bit out of my head on this!

I'll come back with a solution as soon as I can.

Regards

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:18 pm

Again, it doesn't matter which plugin you use. Turn it off so it doesn't affect your MIDI signals. You could very well use a delay, a note length or whatever. As long as its turned off.

All you need is CC 7 or whichever CC being sent to your hardware.
You can do that with ANY device. And it doesn't have to be turned on.
It just need a remote MIDI output and a MIDI assignment.

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:05 pm

Ok, I see. Fine! I'll do that! :wink:

Filterstein & Hoffman2k

Thanks for your help!