bass players - ElectroHarmonix micro synth or ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:14 pm

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:18 am

WANT!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:37 am

wow. the digital preset system really makes that worthwhile (so you could actually use it live). know of anything similar for guitar? (i'll likely get one of these for bass, but have often wondered why there's no guitar synth that's analog signal, with presets stored digitally, maybe there's one i don't know about.)

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:53 am

so I finally got to try out the EH bass micro synth at haight st. music this weekend--it is a pretty incredible and highly versatile pedal, and with the number of bass pedals I've played and/or owned, that's saying a lot. It's a bummer not to be able to store things as presets, as you can get some wildly different sounds depending on the slider settings, but the whole lcd readout and digital presets are not part of the EH vibe....I'd say it rivals my Deep Impact pedal in terms of sick synth bass tones, and in some ways offers even more versatility in dialing in a sound (though the nine user definable presets on the deep impact make it much more stage-worthy for having a range of tones a few stomps away...). I would easily say that the micro synth, deep impact, and Korg G5 are the best synth bass pedals around, no question. In playing around with various pedals at the store, I pretty much had to buy and EH big muff--incredible bass fuzz/distortion sound I've been searching for. Pretty much a one trick pony, but it's a good one. best of luck!
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

quandry

Post by quandry » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:58 am

oh crap, forgot about the chunk systems octavious squeezer mentioned above. Haven't played, but just listened to the online samples and it's now at the top of my gear lust list for when I've got a cool $600 to drop on a pedal--this thing sounds sick!!!!!
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:56 am

Does anyone have Guitar Rig? I've got version 2 and it has a module called 'Harmonizer' which looks a lot like the interface for the Microsynth.

Would be interesting if anyone has (or tried) both to give their impressions of how it compares.

And is it worth upgrading to version 3 for 49 euros?

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:00 pm

I have a Lovetone Meatball - wicked if you can find one. Really fun to run drums through for production as well.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

mrruby

Post by mrruby » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:09 pm

nylarch wrote:I have a Lovetone Meatball - wicked if you can find one. Really fun to run drums through for production as well.
barge concepts mb1 now in productiion...
a beautyfool thing
http://soundcloud.com/superfuntime
ableton live 9
sackbut 2012

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:05 pm

fatrabbit wrote:Does anyone have Guitar Rig? I've got version 2 and it has a module called 'Harmonizer' which looks a lot like the interface for the Microsynth.
the microsynth isn't a harmonizer, it's a synth, the bass strings are the 'oscillators.' after that there are 4 modulators you can fade into the mix
- sub bass
- guitar (pass through)
- octave up
- square wave

then there's the filter section
- an attack setting (as in ADSR)
- a start frequency for the filter
- an ending frequency for the filter
- a rate at which the filter sweeps from start to end

oh, and the slider at the far left is the gate for the filter, it sets the level at which the filter re-triggers.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:13 pm

barge concepts mb1 now in productiion...
a beautyfool thing
that does look super badass. My meatball is 15 yrs old...this is the new meatball....
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:00 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
fatrabbit wrote:Does anyone have Guitar Rig? I've got version 2 and it has a module called 'Harmonizer' which looks a lot like the interface for the Microsynth.
the microsynth isn't a harmonizer, it's a synth, the bass strings are the 'oscillators.' after that there are 4 modulators you can fade into the mix
- sub bass
- guitar (pass through)
- octave up
- square wave

then there's the filter section
- an attack setting (as in ADSR)
- a start frequency for the filter
- an ending frequency for the filter
- a rate at which the filter sweeps from start to end

oh, and the slider at the far left is the gate for the filter, it sets the level at which the filter re-triggers.
I know, but I think they just called it a 'Harmonizer' to link it to the Electro-Harmonix brand perhaps?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:06 am

^ yeah, you're right, those are the uSynth controls exactly.

typical harmonizers do far more than just octaves and IMO the Electro-Harmonix uSynth is an envelope follower, with a synth-like signal chain, two different classes of effects.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

mrsakitumi

Post by mrsakitumi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:40 am

I use 3 BOSS PEDALS for bass guitar.

AW-3 dynamic wah: (it even has vowel settings. the cool thing about it is the auto wah aspect of it. you can articulate a fast run and it can wah each note. there is also a bass guitar input to help preserve warmth)

OC-1 octave pedal: (this just rocks for most things.adds real thickness. I never use the 2oct down though for obvious reasons. a neat tip: I sometimes use the Oct1 only with the direct level off,
it makes for a cool dubby, electronic bass sound. works great for drum&bass,dubstuff etc)

SYB-5 synth pedal: (has square, saw, pulse wave tracking with setting to taste. the tracking was a bit weird in the beginning, but then I discovered a setting balance which works for it. I keep the direct signal on full, with the synth sound at about 10'o clock.feels a lot tighter for playing.yet to try the expression pedal with it.
...and it's mr sakitumi (too late to change profile name)...damn
LIVE, DS lite, a tambourine, tape recorder.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.facebook.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.youtube.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.twitter.com/mrsakitumi