Cameleon 5000

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Benshik

Cameleon 5000

Post by Benshik » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:56 pm

Im kinda scared that with all these anti OT posts mine will disapear in the bottom quite quickly, but ok, let's try it ;) :

looking for sound morphin tools n just found out about the Cameleon 5000 soft synth. Seems to be amazing...
Anyone using it???? How is it with Live?????

you can check at www.camelaudio.com

thanx

Ben

hivemind

Post by hivemind » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:02 pm

it can be a big cpu hog-- depending on the patch. i've totally brought my system to it's knees more than a couple of times.

but it sounds great especially for ambient or spacy sounds or if you like rhythmic synths. i mostly use it for ambience and pads.

it also has a feature where you can use a jpeg to create a patch.

it really is a deep program. luckily there is a randomize button. lol ;)

i had to raise the audio buffer in live by quite a lot in order to get patches to play without gitches, and so i can't quite recommend it for live playing, but you can make some awesome samples from it, needless to say. if i had a faster computer my experience in a live setting might be better. i have a PowerBook 800MHz.

you should check out their forums at the kvr-vst site
http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/index.php

i have seen some songs using cameleon posted there so you can get an idea of how people use it. also there is a user there that has created a windows utility to simplify patch creation if you're on the pc. i think it's in a sticky post.

good luck

Haselmeier

Post by Haselmeier » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:30 pm

take also a look at absynth V2 (V3 announced for December) and Hartmann Neuron VS (which is quiet expencieve). Soundwise they playing in the same league. I allready got Absynth, so i will stay with this one and the new features for V3 sounding quiet intresting.
Also take a look at Cube from Virsyn, which is able to morph between four soundsources. [/b]

forge

Post by forge » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:31 pm

Haselmeier wrote:take also a look at absynth V2 (V3 announced for December) and Hartmann Neuron VS (which is quiet expencieve). Soundwise they playing in the same league. I allready got Absynth, so i will stay with this one and the new features for V3 sounding quiet intresting.
Also take a look at Cube from Virsyn, which is able to morph between four soundsources. [/b]
besides surround are there any other incentives to get absynth 3? I'm pretty happy with 2.

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:07 pm

can Absynth allow sound morphing???? I know NI are quite into "preset" morphing like I tried on the Vokator demo, but not into "sound" morphing... Im really looking for a tool to progressively morph different sounds together...
I was quite impressed by the Kyma workstation, but it's totally out of my budget so I'm tryin to find some alternative... there's a plug in by prosonic called "morph" and once again I found it a bit disapointin... maybe I just didn't experiment enough w it...

hivemind: r u sayin it performed bad on your pb 800???? could you please be a bit more specific???? How many instances could you run? how many tracks/ effects in your live set? Im on a gud ol pb 667 (actually 666 but commercialized as 667 for some mysterious reasons ;) ) so ur performance issues are of great interest for me...

thanx

Ben

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:11 pm

Haselmeier wrote:take also a look at absynth V2 (V3 announced for December) and Hartmann Neuron VS (which is quiet expencieve). Soundwise they playing in the same league.
I don't know if I'd go about suggesting the Neuron VS. From what I can tell there is no patch editor so you are pretty much stuck with what they give you and allow you to use.

I would agree with Absynth though... v1 and v2 sounded great, I can only imagine what you'll be able to get out of v3.

Also check out Reaktor, between the user library where people post their own creations, and the electronic instruments v1 and v2, you get a *ton* of far out sounds and a very reasonable price!

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:36 pm

WhiteNoiseAudio - Additive sounds better and is way easier to use to these ears .

Quite possibly the first ever VSTi I've used that allows me to create the sounds I hear in my head to perfection.

I seriously suggest you got to their WEBSITE.
Download the 3 following demo's

1.Additve
2.ZeroVector
3.Dopplemangler (oh man this one will freak you)

Then be prepared to run screaming to your wallet.
Approx $250 for all three bundled is a dead great deal.
White Noise Additive is the SHIT .
Let me tell you.
I ahem used the demo version for some NNXT patch creation in Reason before getting the Full versions.
Speaking of which on a totally unrelated note - I've just nailed a Maelstrom patch in Reason 2.5 that is a dead set ringer for a mini-moog lead/solo patch.

Get WNA ADDITIVE - you WILL NOT regret IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

forge

Post by forge » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:58 pm

FaX-01 wrote:WhiteNoiseAudio - Additive sounds better and is way easier to use to these ears .

Quite possibly the first ever VSTi I've used that allows me to create the sounds I hear in my head to perfection.

I seriously suggest you got to their WEBSITE.
Download the 3 following demo's

1.Additve
2.ZeroVector
3.Dopplemangler (oh man this one will freak you)

Then be prepared to run screaming to your wallet.
Approx $250 for all three bundled is a dead great deal.
White Noise Additive is the SHIT .
Let me tell you.
I ahem used the demo version for some NNXT patch creation in Reason before getting the Full versions.
Speaking of which on a totally unrelated note - I've just nailed a Maelstrom patch in Reason 2.5 that is a dead set ringer for a mini-moog lead/solo patch.

Get WNA ADDITIVE - you WILL NOT regret IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yep another vote here - I originally looked at it as a kind of trade off for metasynth cause I didn't have a mac

thanks for the reminder I'd forgotten about it actually

BENSHIK: you should maybe try Crusher X - it's got some morphing stuff in it - cant remember the URL - but I think the link is on the ABleton links page

php

Post by php » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:57 am

I bought Cameleon CA5000 and while it sounds impressive, it really is a CPU hog. It also has a problem where if you change to another preset while other tracks are playing in Live, the audio cuts out in the host app for a fraction of a second. This is particularly annoying when playing in a live situation, because the audience will hear a glitch everytime you change to another CA5000 patch. Any other softsynth I use doesn't do this, just the CA5000.
This brings up another gripe I have with its developers. They always make excuses as to why this is not fixed. They also recently made a CA5000 version that runs standalone, but apparently there is a MIDI problem where the CA5000 doesn't respond to a MIDI controller from this mode, only as a plugin. When I contacted the developers about this I never heard from them again. This is not the kind of support I want to see after I plunk down $200 for their program.

I have been a longtime Absynth user and I agree that it is a better, more efficient alternative for unusual types of sounds, and it looks like version 3 will be even better with features like real-time fractal manipulation of oscillator waveforms, etc.
I have better luck dealing with NI for support than many of these smaller one or two person operations like Camel Audio or Glaresoft. Unfortunately, my negative experience with these two companies will make me think twice before I consider buying from small companies again.
Apple iBook (12") G4 1.2Ghz, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, AirPort, Bluetooth, OS 10.3.8, Edirol UA-25 & PCR-80.

hivemind

Post by hivemind » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:58 pm

Benshik wrote:
hivemind: r u sayin it performed bad on your pb 800???? could you please be a bit more specific???? How many instances could you run? how many tracks/ effects in your live set? Im on a gud ol pb 667 (actually 666 but commercialized as 667 for some mysterious reasons ;) ) so ur performance issues are of great interest for me...

thanx

Ben
well for many presets you simply can't play 3 notes at once.

i haven't tried to run many of them, but i remember it getting close to the cpu meter peak running just 2 of them sequenced. maybe you could reach three instances that are always triggering notes.

to me it's more of a "hit this note and listen to the sound develop" kinda instrument than a let's jam out this riff/chords kinda instrument. i hope that makes sense. it also really depends on how many sounds you are trying to morph.

i think they have a demo for download... check it out. ;)