Ableton, Serato & Cycling!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:32 am

j2j wrote:
smutek wrote:stroking each others goatees or whatever...

Why do I picture you spinning really hard house?

:D
:P

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:44 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
Patch wrote:Drag n' drop Live clips onto a Turntable to scratch 'em? Control Lives master tempo with control vinyl? Who knows...

loop the scratch or just just the drums

lock that into the other 2 tracks

cue up another track with control vinyl, double beat that one over your three tracks

boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom
I've been thinking about this a lot, trying to envision how it's going to fly.

When you're using Scratch Live, the program demands a lot of screen real estate. You need to see the moving waveforms readily, and you need to see your library to be able to throw songs around a lot. By default Scratch Live opens up in full screen mode to take advantage of every precious inch of your laptop's monitor.

It would be really cool if the two programs acted as one hybrid. Like how two audio programs detect one another with ReWire. If you launch Live and then launch Scratch Live, you would be prompted if you would like to go into Serabletono mode.

I was about to write that it would be wise to avoid having too many screens, but it occurred to me that one of the coolest things about recording a DJ set with Live is that you can go into Arrangement view afterward and tweak it out a bit more to your liking. IT WOULD BE AWESOME if you could do this with Scratch Live. Record your DJ set then tweak it in Arrangement! Yes!

Back to the hybrid thing. I think it would be a good idea to try to integrate the performance tools of both programs into one screen, with the ability to "go back to arrangement" only when necessary. Integrating elements of Session View, and Clip View would be sick. The current looping functionality in Scratch Live is baby food compared to Session View. Nix the Serato looper and give that real estate to Session.

I want to be able to launch a scene, pick it up and drop it on a deck and fuck with it. Once you have a scene playing on a deck you can continue to add clips to it, and take them away. All that tasty real time functionality - with vinyl control and the informative waveforms and cool beat matching tools of Serato. As far as the automatic beat matching ability of Itch goes, I wouldn't put it in the first version. Save that bit for version two, once all of the stubborn old school DJ's realize that they cannot live another day without Live. Then stick it in there to compete with the lesser DJing programs in the market. :wink:

I recall that one of the fruits of the Cycling 74 partnership was going to be the ability to have Live communicate more openly with hardware. As important as screen real estate is, it'd be nice if this collaboration was planning from the get go to have the performer not rely on a computer monitor. The more feedback from these programs that you can send to displays on controllers the better off the world will be.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:08 pm

I was an early adopter of M-Audio's Torq because I had some really lofty dreams about using my technics and Live but I was disappointed.

I actually love the program and know how to do some really neat tricks with it - I've played a fair share of gigs with Torq and no problems (I prefer to use CD-J's) just because setting up my laptop, soundcard, etc is a pain

but most clubs in Seattle have a built in Serato set-up now...this is good

@ Tone - I appreciate the props on the old school beats - some still should be up on http://www.soundclick.com/djadonis206

But in the last 2 and half years I've taken on a whole new challenge and it's paying off everyday - some people can do school and do music @ the same time, I can't. I'm about 3 and half qtrs out from my BA and I'm trying to do it big so...

Making music takes some serious concentration (at least for me) mixing records is just mindless fun - being knee deep in computer science, calculus, and economics classes (yes I take econ) I'm in no mood to work my brain anymore than I have to ;)

unless I'm adding to my 49 trillion mega post count on ableton.com/forum

oh, and I'm married now

:lol:
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:49 pm

:cry: our Adonis is all growns up :cry:

keep the gear around for the midlife crisis, you'll blow up huge AGAIN!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:49 pm

Dang adonis, you're already 2 1/2 deep into that comp-sci program?

no wonder you have no time for jams... keep it up.

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:40 pm

well regardless i can't wait to see what comes as i use both heavily and i was looking into max but haven't made the time for it yet.

"the worlds of DJing, remixing and production for artists worldwide have changes ahead"

bring it on :D
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:49 pm

audiofeen wrote:well regardless i can't wait to see what comes as i use both heavily and i was looking into max but haven't made the time for it yet.

"the worlds of DJing, remixing and production for artists worldwide have changes ahead"

bring it on :D
I can't believe this partnership. It's fucking huge news. I literally cannot believe it.
:D

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:53 pm

Tell me about it

plus 48 trillion gazillion

I am however keeping my eyes peeled for the M-Audio Torq update...just thought I'd mention that though

http://www.torq-dj.com
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:54 pm

I've been holding my breath for nearly a week now...

I ain't gonna hold it for much longer!

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:13 pm

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:33 pm

John Sweet wrote:Image
The drop shadows on those virtual fader caps will likely be the issue that ultimately dissolves the partnership. :wink: :wink: :wink:

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:39 pm

This is amazing! Now instead of just dropping in the next track and it's all beat matched and everything I'll have to fiddle with slabs of vinyl, adjust the pitch and look all cool and like a real professional DJ or there will be a trainwreck!

The future of digital DJing is here! :roll:

FWIW I *CAN* beatmatch I just don't see the point. Likewise I can also play the drums :D

forge

Post by forge » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:05 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:I think there has been an incentive added for anyone considering taking the plunge with max/msp. The fact that it's taken a long time to come about just proves that this is done with great care.

Now there is an incentive for an Ablenerd to get into Scratch Live. Especially if your name is Forge.
8O eh :?:

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:21 pm

weren't there supposed to be videos online by early this week?
It's already Thursday :roll:
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer