RANT: The worst part of switching to Mac OS X is iTunes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
craw

Post by craw » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:44 am

love itunes interface, and ability to handle very large libraries.

The main bummer for me is no FLAC support ... and yes, FLAC is a popular format.

It is a real pain in the arse to buy nice 24-bit FLACs from www.bleep.com (for example) and not be able to play them natively. More and more online digital music outlets are offering FLAC as well, and it is such a nice format

That is a shame. Apple just want everyone to use their lossless codec, and so don't offer support for the more popular varieties. This is a bit shit of apple (they are very like microsoft in that respect sometimes (waits for the fanboy comeback)).

did I mention that I love the interface.

Anyway, anyone that thinks itunes sucks, check out iphoto :-)

PS. love macs though ... but the ilife programs do leave a lot to be desired
craw

mustgroove

Post by mustgroove » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:35 pm

for FLAC support, check out Fluke:

http://cubicfruit.com/fluke/

Definitely the most seemless solution I've found so far... it even allows you to preview FLACs in Finder

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:28 pm

Silverfish wrote:I believe so. If I'm not mistaken, it should be as simple as right clicking on the folder I want to enable, and then assigning a script, correct?

I've tried test folders on both the internal HD and the external, and neither will work reliably. One time it will see a single file, the next it won't see anything. And if I try a folder of music, such as an album, no dice.

I looked at the script to see if maybe wanted to know the specific name of the folder, or something similar, and it didn't appear that anything needed to be changed.

Thanks again for your help on the matter. I sincerely appreciate it. See what bitching does? :lol:
Not shure if I follow you correctly, but you should launch the script through iTunes.

Or do I missunderstand you here?
*** Image GAFM ***

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:33 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Silverfish wrote:I believe so. If I'm not mistaken, it should be as simple as right clicking on the folder I want to enable, and then assigning a script, correct?

I've tried test folders on both the internal HD and the external, and neither will work reliably. One time it will see a single file, the next it won't see anything. And if I try a folder of music, such as an album, no dice.

I looked at the script to see if maybe wanted to know the specific name of the folder, or something similar, and it didn't appear that anything needed to be changed.

Thanks again for your help on the matter. I sincerely appreciate it. See what bitching does? :lol:
Not shure if I follow you correctly, but you should launch the script through iTunes.

Or do I missunderstand you here?
The script is being used as a folder action - so when a file is added to that folder it is automatically added to iTunes. There is no need to run the script from within iTunes, it should be triggered automatically every time you add a file to the folder.

I had a quick play and couldn't get it working, I'll have another go later.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:38 pm

I've got it working, seems to copy everything OK though it seems a bit slow.

Where did you put the script, mine is in:

<home>/library/scripts/folder action scripts/

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:43 pm

jonny72 wrote:I've got it working, seems to copy everything OK though it seems a bit slow.

Where did you put the script, mine is in:

<home>/library/scripts/folder action scripts/
all my iTunes scripts (all from dougscripts.com) are in home/library/iTunes/Scripts

and what i do... is launching them through the script icon in the menu bar of iTunes...

also the script folder in the iTunes folder might not exist, create it.

all mine are working fine... and i have one small fat32 formatted drive for exchanging stuff betweeen Mac and Pc which also contains a small part of my iTunes library...
*** Image GAFM ***

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:34 pm

I think I was using the term "Applescript" when I really meant "folder action". oops.

Anyway, thank you for looking into this. Subfunk, I'm glad to hear that scripts are working on a PC-formatted drive, although I'm curious if it's a different story with the script in question.

I'll putz around with it some more, and if I get working, I'll let everyone know.

TB