A friendly reminder....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:41 pm

Crash wrote:Even when I suggested an Off Topic forum as well, I also don't think this is the problem here. To the contrary, it makes alot of sense to discuss political, social or whatever topics with people that share a common interest (Live, Music) and gather at one place (Ableton Forum).

But to be frank, the ON topic quality of this forum is largely rather bad. Too many people tend to make up for that with playing big mouths and turning any discussion between other forum members into a joyride. The lack of qualified musicians/engineers/producers sharing real value leaves empty space for lots on nonsense. Some people tend to answer every thread with gay jokes, other bombard us with nudity or violence and some try to break that wall of shit with a jackhammer. In the end, everyone loses (interest, time, confidence, humor, whatever). :?
actually "Crash" there is a lot of very generous and knowledgeable professional peeps who drop volumes of helpful information constantly. Maybe take a look at what you have contributed?

Robert, Amaury and the other Abletons: please let me congratulate you all on your liberal, thoughtful and punk rock attitude to this place. I hope you see it as I do, an artists meeting place. These meeting places throughout history have always been a hotbed of political discussion, satire, and everything that encompasses art and free speech on any topic. They have always been seen as subversive by the mainstream. Your attitude is a credit to you all.

Like those places, this forum is largely self regulating. Few take the flamers and trolls seriously, and they get regularly humiliated. For every troll that insults a newcomer, there are two regulars who try to help them. I love the grownup tone of this place, unmarred by megalomaniac admins that infest other music forums.

To the newbies: there are plenty of moderated music sites, where many of the people here also post about Ableton. Why dont you go there instead of trying to make the Ableton forum mild and bland too?
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:47 pm

^ he has pants
and they are pants of adventure

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 pm

adventurepants_ wrote:actually "Crash" there is a lot of very generous and knowledgeable professional peeps who drop volumes of helpful information constantly. Maybe take a look at what you have contributed?
I disagree. Most topics on this forum don't even survive half a week unless they are major upheavals (like this one) or utter stupidity. There is little depth in most of the discussions and what you call "volumes of helpful information" is often hardly scratching the surface of professional audio recording/production/composing.

One of the reasons I started the seriously intended fun-challenge "with an attitude" was to get some of the really talented folks on this forum to demonstrate some pro business to the novices. Like about anything around here it quickly turned from serious+fun to hillarious+insulting. There may be some "real shit" guys around here, but they care little for the wellfare of this forum.

Now go eat me... :wink:

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 pm

nebulae wrote:^ he has pants
You see, Neb, comments like these are not insulting or anything dangerous and may even be funny. But to put loads of these into about every thread you come along does little good to serious discussion threads, because they fill up the screen, force people to scroll and suggest to readers that the thread is not about anything serious anyway.

This leads to many potential participants drop out of some promising thread even before they get going. Furthermore it invites the real trolls to add their rubbish and start playing their games in other people's threads. Bad luck for the Abes' forum I guess. Pants is right, there are other forums better suited for more "dedicated" and sometimes more "professional" communication. This one here can stay for the fun of it. I had some good fun during the last couple of days, but it had little to nothing to do with making music except for some cases where I helped someone out with a question.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:59 pm

Crash wrote: I disagree. Most topics on this forum don't even survive half a week unless they are major upheavals (like this one) or utter stupidity. There is little depth in most of the discussions and what you call "volumes of helpful information" is often hardly scratching the surface of professional audio recording/production/composing.
this isnt an "professional audio recording/production/composing" forum. if you want that go to TapeOP, Sound on Sound, and Gearslutz. They will school you more than you know what to do with. They also have the tone and censorship you seem to be craving. This is the Ableton forum for Live. There is an incredible amount of useful info on here on how to use Live. The Tips/Tricks forum has more know how than all of the books published about Live put together.

As Mark Twain said "Censorship is like telling a man he cant eat steak, because a child cant chew it"

Do you like steak Crash?

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:02 pm

Crash wrote:
nebulae wrote:^ he has pants
You see, Neb, comments like these are not insulting or anything dangerous and may even be funny. But to put loads of these into about every thread you come along does little good to serious discussion threads, because they fill up the screen, force people to scroll and suggest to readers that the thread is not about anything serious anyway.

This leads to many potential participants drop out of some promising thread even before they get going. Furthermore it invites the real trolls to add their rubbish and start playing their games in other people's threads. Bad luck for the Abes' forum I guess. Pants is right, there are other forums better suited for more "dedicated" and sometimes more "professional" communication. This one here can stay for the fun of it. I had some good fun during the last couple of days, but it had little to nothing to do with making music except for some cases where I helped someone out with a question.
says you. My pants are currently seeking legal representation for this outrageous slur.

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:08 pm

Responsibility is telling a man he can't have sex in front of a school, because he cannot force his world-view onto other people's children. And what use in getting schooled by halfwits? Better learn half the truth half-wrong than no truth at all? Maybe... It's something to start with I guess.

There is a reason why so few Tips & Tricks made it to sticky, actually only two of them, one of which was just added a few days ago. Hofmann2k's thread adds real value, most of the rest is long lost in the depths of the forum and will hardly to never be revealed ever again. That's ok, because many of those "tricks" are merely explanations of what the manual should or does cover anyway.

There's a good balance on this forum between RTFM shouters and "I'm too lazy to read the manual and trying around myself, so I go ask stupid questions on the forum" type of guys. The numbers in between feels comparably small, but that doesn't matter much when a bunch of stupids have taken over the forum anyway.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:35 pm

Crash wrote:blah blah blah blah blah...
Viewing profile :: Crash

Total posts: 145
[0.02% of total / 29.00 posts per day]

I think it's time to stop.
..?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:36 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote: I think it's time to stop.
I agree...stop wasting yer breath :P

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:40 pm

kuniklo wrote:
b0unce wrote:oh, and display the first three digits of everyone's IP address so faggots like Crash will stick to one nick.
You'd be right at the top of the list of people I'd love to see crawl back in a hole forever.
+1. Seriously though, how many times do we need to see people use the word "faggot". I assume that this word is as offensive world-wide as it is here? :roll:
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

dcease

Post by dcease » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:56 pm

i hope i get banned!

Crash

Post by Crash » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:13 am

NorthernMonkey wrote:Viewing profile :: Crash

Total posts: 145
[0.02% of total / 29.00 posts per day]

I think it's time to stop.
Wow, I feel as if someone just peeked through my window. Really special and recognized and stuff. So many peeps checking la statistica of ma alter ego it makes me :oops:

Can I reach 30 per day? RAVE, I want my price! I won yer fucking challenge, fff..... err.. maggot! :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:13 am

Robert Henke wrote:OT sections would not help.

The problem is not the [OT] threads, but those which start as a useful discussion about a music related topic and end up as flame wars. What would you do with those threads? Shall we move this thread here to an OT section since it has been abused already?

Robert
This is the only point here that I'm with. It's a quandary, freedom or protection. I'll take freedom every time.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:17 am

For another theoretical take on the decline of this forum:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tipping_Point

It only takes a troll or two to bring the whole thing down. This is the fine print of the whole internet ideal, if you ask me.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:21 am

kuniklo wrote:It takes a spineless majority to bring the whole thing down. Stand tall brothers.
Fixed.
..?