Crossfade chained slots problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
boonier

Crossfade chained slots problem

Post by boonier » Mon May 26, 2008 5:23 pm

HI

I have 5 loops of equal length where i've recorded different settings on parameters from an external synth. I've done tis basically because i can't be lugging the synth on stage, but i want to capture it into a bunch clips and be able to map a controller to crossfade between them, like one would a filter cutoff say

Now i tried to do this by creating a Instrument rack loaded with 5 simplers, and mapping the Chain selector to one of the Macro knobs and giving them cross fades etc. Fine, it selects different chains... But the problem is that if a chain is selected it has to wait until the note is retriggered to hear anything (because it is a 2 bar long note).

What I need is a legato mode for the Simpler, so that it picks up the position from the last CHain and seamlessly starts playing. Or, can I do some funky thing with the levels on each of the chains mapped to the macro, and have the chain select zones all triggering at the same time?

I have made this in Bidule just now and it works great, but there is a funky thing going on with delay compensation in Live and I have to turn it off.

Surely this can this be done in Live? I have a certain mistrust having to load a Bidule plugin mid set...

thanks in advance

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:59 am

I'm having this same problem...it's driving me crazy, this seems like a major oversight, why does it stop playing when there is a note held and you move out of a chain zone? ..., if you can't crossfade the new note fine, but it should at least finish playing the old note :x
macbook core duo 2gHz 2GB || Live 7.0.2 || and bunch of old analog crap

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:38 am

the only way I'm currently able to do this is by sending the clips to an Effects Rack...with a compressor in each chain, with the sidechain solo buttons on, and the side chain input set to each of the clips I want to cross-fade, then the effects rack needs a dummy audio signal and I can use the chain selector to cross0fade the sidechain inputs...lame ass work-around but...it beats bringing a CS-50 on stage
macbook core duo 2gHz 2GB || Live 7.0.2 || and bunch of old analog crap