OT... Is this Nibiru?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:02 pm

it's not that I don't like stoners and psytrance, not at all. It's just that it's exactly like talking to Christians about jesus. It's part of the culture - to an outsider it seems transparent flim flam, but on the inside it is solid as concrete.
There are certain things that certain people in certain situations want and need to be true, it is a nice foundation to any world view. It's just the same as the "big man in the sky will save us" con game, there is a secret plan where everyone who is 'in our gang' gets to go up one level . Hey, that's fine - I'd love a cosy delusional belief system for myself, I'm jealous of anyone who can maintain one in the face of Occam's razor.

I was a psytrancing dope smoking conspiracy 2012 ufo fool myself for many years, and it's fun, but taking a dispassionate look back it is more than a bit funny. There are one or two gaping holes in the belief system that you have to sort of skim over if you want to maintain it.
It's not like I have a point to prove to you, in fact I wouldn't really want to deprive other people of the same fun I had , all that great "we belong in a gang of people who really know the truth" stuff is very comforting. But, I can't give up my constitutional right to take the piss.

I know it wont make any difference to those who need to believe in things like this anyway. I could summon up a Sumerian zombie of Enki and have him dismantle it all, but it still wouldn't convince the people who need stuff like this in their lives. Remember : If God didn't exist it would be necessary to invent him.

This cosmic prophecy, Atlantean elders, Sky Gods, hidden truth stuff .. It's nice and cosy, it fits in the same brain hole that organised religion does for more conventional people. Probably releases a nice 'belonging' endorphin or two. Go for it. May as well believe one thing as another.

nolus

Post by nolus » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Good morning starshine
The earth says hello
You twinkle above us
We twinkle below

Good morning starshine
You lead us along
My love and me as we sing
Our early morning singing song

Gliddy glub gloopy
Nibby nabby noopy
La la la lo lo
Sabba sibby sabba
Nooby abba nabba
Le le lo lo
Tooby ooby walla
Nooby abba naba
Early morning singing song
Sorry about that. But in my drunken state it somehow seemed appropriate. Particularly the "Nibby nabby noopy" bit - do you think they new something?
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:14 pm

good points.... As I said. I'm not a believist in any way.. In fact I'm anti believist, as I think it can be a real hinderance to growth and understanding..

I put the vid up to get some feedback about that particular vid.

Iv'e read about all this Nibiru stuff.. And haven't come to any concrete conclusions.. I'm interested.. I'm keeping my mind open on it..

Anyway gonna light up this pipe and get on with a nice psytrance tune! :wink:

Hd

forge

Post by forge » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:31 am

Angstrom wrote:I bet a nonsense-hoover friend of mine that fuck-all will happen in 2012, she is convinced that sky gods will descend, I am convinced it will be the same as usual.

the bet runs like this:
If the world does not end she has to pay me £1000
if the world ends I have to pay her £1000

now, if you have any wit about you it is obvious that the deck is somewhat stacked my way. Oddly, she didn't pick up on that.
Ah well, as Mark Twain said : it's immoral to leave a sucker with their money.

I wish I had even less moral scruples. There are so many gullible people out there. They want something to be true and combined with a big glowing bowl of bud they come to believe it is true.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the 2012 stuff because I really do believe some old Mayan dude, with the same kind of scruples you describe, in a bid for village popularity, or at least tolerance of the fact that the old kook always manages to get out of work by waving feathers and entrails about talking about Gods, as one of his important spiritual projects, (which co-incidentally had to be finished while the rest of them were breaking their backs on the harvest) was some great calendar that prophesied the coming doom of the world.

At some point he would get fed up or realise that he didn't need to bother convincing the villagers any more so he stopped - at 2012.

"Ah fuckit, we'll be dead by then anyway!"

the thing I really like about the mayan calendar stuff is that while they were really busy making this calendar to scare self-important 21st century people, they somehow managed to completely miss predicting their own doom. Weird eh?

See you all in this thread in 2013! ;-)

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:50 am

Conquistadors arrived and pwnt everyone. continuing the calender wasn't exactly high on the priority list after that. it's hernando cortez's fault.

that's burst your 2012 bubble, with any luck.
spreader of butter

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:08 am

b0unce wrote:Conquistadors arrived and pwnt everyone. continuing the calender wasn't exactly high on the priority list after that. it's hernando cortez's fault.

that's burst your 2012 bubble, with any luck.
Shut the fuck up you pathetic little shit.
..?

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:15 am

Angstrom wrote:it's not that I don't like stoners and psytrance, not at all. It's just that it's exactly like talking to Christians about jesus. It's part of the culture - to an outsider it seems transparent flim flam, but on the inside it is solid as concrete.
There are certain things that certain people in certain situations want and need to be true, it is a nice foundation to any world view. It's just the same as the "big man in the sky will save us" con game, there is a secret plan where everyone who is 'in our gang' gets to go up one level . Hey, that's fine - I'd love a cosy delusional belief system for myself, I'm jealous of anyone who can maintain one in the face of Occam's razor.

I was a psytrancing dope smoking conspiracy 2012 ufo fool myself for many years, and it's fun, but taking a dispassionate look back it is more than a bit funny. There are one or two gaping holes in the belief system that you have to sort of skim over if you want to maintain it.
It's not like I have a point to prove to you, in fact I wouldn't really want to deprive other people of the same fun I had , all that great "we belong in a gang of people who really know the truth" stuff is very comforting. But, I can't give up my constitutional right to take the piss.

I know it wont make any difference to those who need to believe in things like this anyway. I could summon up a Sumerian zombie of Enki and have him dismantle it all, but it still wouldn't convince the people who need stuff like this in their lives. Remember : If God didn't exist it would be necessary to invent him.

This cosmic prophecy, Atlantean elders, Sky Gods, hidden truth stuff .. It's nice and cosy, it fits in the same brain hole that organised religion does for more conventional people. Probably releases a nice 'belonging' endorphin or two. Go for it. May as well believe one thing as another.
Awesome someone summarize my position for me. I was about to say not this bullshit again, Zacharia Sitchin is a fucking moron. Polar shifts occur every 700,000 years you wouldn't know if it was happening, and it makes no difference to our daily lives. As far as all the evolving to another dimension crap, how the fuck would anyone know that?

Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:53 am

Angstrom wrote:I bet a nonsense-hoover friend of mine that fuck-all will happen in 2012, she is convinced that sky gods will descend, I am convinced it will be the same as usual.

the bet runs like this:
If the world does not end she has to pay me £1000
if the world ends I have to pay her £1000
If I could place enough of these bets I won't have to work for a very, very long time.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Noel

Post by Noel » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:30 am

I remember (vaguely) when I was in my teens/early twenties - we had the same thing with Erich Von Daniken (Chariots of the Gods?, etc ).

I swallowed it whole like a good little hippy. But then I found out that it was all crap, and that most of his "evidence" was fabricated or misrepresented and the rest of it was easily explained without having to resort to alien astronauts. Not that that means we haven't been visited by aliens, just that there is no reason to believe that we have.

I think it's good to have an open mind, but it needs to be tempered with a healthy dose of scepticism. Never take the claims of anybody with something to sell at face value.

George bush put it much better than I ever could -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qDuG0ZY ... re=related
Noel has left the building!

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:52 am

funknotik wrote:
Angstrom wrote:it's not that I don't like stoners and psytrance, not at all. It's just that it's exactly like talking to Christians about jesus. It's part of the culture - to an outsider it seems transparent flim flam, but on the inside it is solid as concrete.

Awesome someone summarize my position for me. I was about to say not this bullshit again, Zacharia Sitchin is a fucking moron. Polar shifts occur every 700,000 years you wouldn't know if it was happening, and it makes no difference to our daily lives. As far as all the evolving to another dimension crap, how the fuck would anyone know that?
hmm, i wouldnt call a man who dedicated his life to researching sumerian history a fucking moron personally but hey ho. A more interesting guy to read is Micheal cremo, and forbidden archeology. He has found scientific proof that humans existed in their current evolutionary state over 6 million years ago and lived alongside the other bi-beds.

Also there is talk that the other bipeds never went extinct they simply moved into the areas of the world where we cant live, forests, rainforests and rocky areas for example . Hence the sightings of bigfoot and the like every so often.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:45 am

*cough*
"Michael Cremo cites the palaeoanthropologist Russel Tuttle as proof that anatomically modern humans made the Laetoli footprints. Russ has kindly shared his research on the prints with me (he called Cremo's work fully of mistakes) and his conclusions are at odds with the impression created by Cremo in "The Hidden History of the Human Race". For example, Russ wrote in 1991, "Although the footprints of the Laetoli hominids are strikingly humanoid, we recommend against assigning them to Homo [me: he is referring to the genus designation, not to Homo sapiens] unless appropriate skeletal specimens, which evidence brain enlargement and Homo-like dentitions, are recovered from Laetoli. It is quite possible that the prints were made by a species of Australopithecus sensu lato, which had feet that are more fully adapted to extensive terrestrial bipedalism. Truly humanoid feet would have been quite advantageous to pioneer bipeds in the sparsely wooded environment at Laetoli 3.5 million years ago." "

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:03 pm

I'm carpooling with Billy Meier!

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Angstrom wrote:*cough*
"Michael Cremo cites the palaeoanthropologist Russel Tuttle as proof that anatomically modern humans made the Laetoli footprints. Russ has kindly shared his research on the prints with me (he called Cremo's work fully of mistakes) and his conclusions are at odds with the impression created by Cremo in "The Hidden History of the Human Race". For example, Russ wrote in 1991, "Although the footprints of the Laetoli hominids are strikingly humanoid, we recommend against assigning them to Homo [me: he is referring to the genus designation, not to Homo sapiens] unless appropriate skeletal specimens, which evidence brain enlargement and Homo-like dentitions, are recovered from Laetoli. It is quite possible that the prints were made by a species of Australopithecus sensu lato, which had feet that are more fully adapted to extensive terrestrial bipedalism. Truly humanoid feet would have been quite advantageous to pioneer bipeds in the sparsely wooded environment at Laetoli 3.5 million years ago." "
thats a pretty poor attempt to discredit someone work. almost laughable. read the books, then we can talk, until that point its like having an argument about finance with a toddler.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:37 pm

sure.

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Emissary wrote:
funknotik wrote:

hmm, i wouldnt call a man who dedicated his life to researching sumerian history a fucking moron personally but hey ho. A more interesting guy to read is Micheal cremo, and forbidden archeology. He has found scientific proof that humans existed in their current evolutionary state over 6 million years ago and lived alongside the other bi-beds.

Also there is talk that the other bipeds never went extinct they simply moved into the areas of the world where we cant live, forests, rainforests and rocky areas for example . Hence the sightings of bigfoot and the like every so often.
hmm, i wouldnt call a man who dedicated his life to researching sumerian history a fucking moron personally but hey ho.[
I would call him a pseudo scientist, intellectually dishonest, and a liar, among other things. Zecharia Sitchin, along with Erich von Däniken and Immanuel Velikovsky, make up the holy trinity of pseudohistorians. Z Sitchin majored in economics and journalism, a perfect combination to convince gullible people who have little to no knowledge of science.

Sitchin's ideas have been appropriated by Raël, another wise man, who has started his own religion (Raëlian Religion) around the idea that humans are the result of a DNA experiment by ancient visitors from outer space. Raël has even written a channeled book, dictated to him by extraterrestrials. It is called The Final Message. Other proponents of his tremendous steaming pile of bullshit are...My personal favorite wacko, DAVID ICKE!

My BULSHITOMETER is off the charts right now and about to explode. The more I read about this guy the more angry I get. I have a couple stoner friends who are into this kind of crap, thankfully they don't listen to "psytrance." They are however thoroughly confused about what is and what is not reality. I notice the less educated you are about science the more appealing all this crap becomes. But you have to think about it from a business perspective. Benny Hinn, Walter Mercado, David Icke and every other con artist makes money off gullible people. Do you know why? Because they have tapped into the only unlimited resource on the face of the earth... HUMAN STUPIDITY! I have always wanted to start my own religion or cult and I think stupidity is at it's peak right now. It's an untapped market and it's tax free!! But I just can't bring myself to lie to people, I wouldn't be able to keep up the act. I really commend these people for keeping a strait face while they speak. It takes some kind of discipline to keep up the act for that long and without flinching.
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..