Aftertouch in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Baron von Case

Aftertouch in Live?

Post by Baron von Case » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Ok, pretty simply:

I'm wondering how to assign modulation or a filter or effect or whatever to the aftertouch on my controller (Axiom 61, if that helps, which it shouldn't). I'm familiar with the MIDI map mode, so you can bypass explaining that part (if it does even involve that).

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:32 am

as far as i know you cant assign aftertouch ( monophonic ) to any Live devices except Sampler, where you would set up your modulation target in the MIDI page. If a VST supports aftertouch Live should allow it to pass through to the VST.
You might want to look into something Like Bomes, MIDI Pipe, Max MSP or PD to translate aftertouch to a CC which all devices in Live can hear.

Dr.Drane

Post by Dr.Drane » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:09 am

+1

I've payed a lot of money for a 88 key poly aftertouch keyboard and now Ableton Live doesn't seem to support it.

That is sad! Please add support for this!

Noel

Post by Noel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:03 pm

It's one of Live's greatest failings, but it's reasonably easy to do it with a PD patch.

Noel has left the building!

Dr.Drane

Post by Dr.Drane » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Nice! But does this work for poly AT too or only channel pressure (monophonic) aftertouch?

Thanks for the info! :)

Noel

Post by Noel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:39 pm

There is a "polytouchin" object as well. It's not properly documented but it has 3 outlets which I guess would be value, note number and channel number from left to right.

But unless you want to map, say, middle C to filter amount, C# to resonance, D to reverb amount and so on I can't see much use for it.

I think that if you want to use poly AT you will need a sound module or plugin that responds to it.

I've never played a keyboard with poly AT, would love to experience it though.

Dr.Drane

Post by Dr.Drane » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:50 pm

Noel wrote:There is a "polytouchin" object as well. It's not properly documented but it has 3 outlets which I guess would be value, note number and channel number from left to right.

But unless you want to map, say, middle C to filter amount, C# to resonance, D to reverb amount and so on I can't see much use for it.

I think that if you want to use poly AT you will need a sound module or plugin that responds to it.

I've never played a keyboard with poly AT, would love to experience it though.
Well, I'm starting piano lessons this evening and I'm looking for a keyboard to practice on. So I'm thinking of going for a poly AT board because I want to use it for synths and I can imagine it being very expressive. (e.g. like with a pad sound with poly AT mapped to panning)
I know reaktor supports poly AT, but will it support is when being a vsti inside ableton I wonder?

Perhaps you can add me on msn (dr_drane@hotmail.com), would be nice to have a small chat about it because you seem to be quite well informed about this. :)

Thanks again for your input, really appreciate it a lot, and it's not easy to find decent info about this online.

Greets

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:43 pm

Dr.Drane wrote:Well, I'm starting piano lessons this evening and I'm looking for a keyboard to practice on. So I'm thinking of going for a poly AT board because I want to use it for synths and I can imagine it being very expressive. (e.g. like with a pad sound with poly AT mapped to panning)
I know reaktor supports poly AT, but will it support is when being a vsti inside ableton I wonder?
Just out of curiousity, what board do you have in mind? Poly AT keyboards are rarer than a hen's penis... some old ensoniq synths have it, as do a few old Roland and Kurzweil controllers, i think. And of course, the venerable Yamaha CS-80 (no midi on that one, obviously).

But I don't know of any poly AT keyboards currently being manufactured.

Noel

Post by Noel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Dr.Drane wrote:Well, I'm starting piano lessons this evening and I'm looking for a keyboard to practice on. So I'm thinking of going for a poly AT board because I want to use it for synths and I can imagine it being very expressive. (e.g. like with a pad sound with poly AT mapped to panning)

Perhaps you can add me on msn (dr_drane@hotmail.com), would be nice to have a small chat about it because you seem to be quite well informed about this. :)

Thanks again for your input, really appreciate it a lot, and it's not easy to find decent info about this online.

Greets
Well I'm no genius, but I'm happy to share what I do know. (or think I know)

I know a bit about PD because I've used it for a number of MIDI mapping tasks in the past. Never got into the audio/video/graphics aspects of it though - not enough time - maybe when I finally have enough money to retire on I will write my electronic audio-visual magnum opus using pure PD. It is a wonderful tool if you take the time to figure it out. Most people round here seem to favour MAX/MSP but in many ways PD represents the next generation on from that - and it's free - but not as polished and less well documented then MAX.

Never caught up with the instant messaging revolution - too much a fan of the quiet life - sometimes I can go for days without communicating with anyone.

Feel free to PM me, I'll be more than happy to help you with your first steps in PD land - if you decide to go that route - or any general questions about MIDI - which I've been messing about with on and off since about 1985 when I bought my first Atari 520ST and a Yamaha DX7.

Dr.Drane

Post by Dr.Drane » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:57 pm

Noel wrote:Well I'm no genius, but I'm happy to share what I do know. (or think I know)

I know a bit about PD because I've used it for a number of MIDI mapping tasks in the past. Never got into the audio/video/graphics aspects of it though - not enough time - maybe when I finally have enough money to retire on I will write my electronic audio-visual magnum opus using pure PD. It is a wonderful tool if you take the time to figure it out. Most people round here seem to favour MAX/MSP but in many ways PD represents the next generation on from that - and it's free - but not as polished and less well documented then MAX.

Never caught up with the instant messaging revolution - too much a fan of the quiet life - sometimes I can go for days without communicating with anyone.

Feel free to PM me, I'll be more than happy to help you with your first steps in PD land - if you decide to go that route - or any general questions about MIDI - which I've been messing about with on and off since about 1985 when I bought my first Atari 520ST and a Yamaha DX7.
Ah, an oldskool user. :) I started with faster/digitracker on amiga / pc but haven't done much production until I discovered ableton a year ago. If I might give pd a try (already tried it once but haven't took the time to explore it well) and have any questions I will surely send a PM.

Thanks again, take care and greets!

Dr.Drane

Post by Dr.Drane » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:37 pm

SMonk wrote:
Dr.Drane wrote: Just out of curiousity, what board do you have in mind?
There are some more older boards that support it:
Roland A-80, Elka MK55 of MK88, Gem S2 of S3

I've bought an MK55 for €50 euros but I want an MK88...there's one in a store here in the neighborhood, but they ask €450 for it. :D Still think I'm desperate enough to buy it...µ

But first I'm going to try to get mono aftertouch working in some VST's (or Sampler). To check if I really like it. :)

Btw, there are new boards too which support it, the new Rhodes board and the VAX 77 which is also foldable.

Noel

Post by Noel » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:38 pm

OMFG. why did you have to go and bring existence of the VAX 77 to my attention.

It looks totally awesome!

Now I have to figure out some way of saving up $2450. Noooooooooo!

The only thing I might lust after more would be a VAX 88 (and if there is a VAX 88 please don't tell me about it!)

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Just to clarify one thing - since it comes up again and again.

Live does support aftertouch. For sure.

Some of the Live instruments do not. But plenty of VSTs and hardware synths do. Aftertouch does get recorded together with notes, CCS and pitch bend if your keyboard transmits it.
.m

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Noel wrote:OMFG. why did you have to go and bring existence of the VAX 77 to my attention.

It looks totally awesome!

Now I have to figure out some way of saving up $2450. Noooooooooo!

The only thing I might lust after more would be a VAX 88 (and if there is a VAX 88 please don't tell me about it!)
Well, if it's any consolation, i don't think it's actually available yet... and also, i'm sure it's a lot cheaper than the rhodes one...

It's a pity all poly AT keyboards are old. While old often means good build quality, it also almost always means ginormous and super heavy.