Saving hardware synth patches in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glenn303

Saving hardware synth patches in Live

Post by glenn303 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:13 pm

Lets say i'm using my Nord on a track and i want to recall the patch automatically everytime i open that song, what is the easiest way to do this? and even if i delete that patch from my synth can Live save all of the settings? Does this involve a system dump with the Nord, if so then how do i do it in Live?
Thanks.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:20 pm

I don't know how is it with Nord, but to recall a patch from my Evolver I enter the numbers of bank (and subbank) and program to the clip, and then as the clip is launched, the patch will change in Evolver accordingly.

jahnlay

Post by jahnlay » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Live doesn't do sysex, so if you delete it, it's gone. Easiest way is to use the midi patch selectors connected to a clip. That way, each time that clip is played, your nord will switch to that patch. You could aslo then set up dummy clips to switch the patch anywhere in the track.
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:24 pm

LeifonMars wrote:I don't know how is it with Nord, but to recall a patch from my Evolver I enter the numbers of bank (and subbank) and program to the clip, and then as the clip is launched, the patch will change in Evolver accordingly.
Okay, but if you were to delete or edit the patch would Live be able to recall the patches original settings?

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:27 pm

jahnlay wrote:Live doesn't do sysex, so if you delete it, it's gone. Easiest way is to use the midi patch selectors connected to a clip. That way, each time that clip is played, your nord will switch to that patch. You could aslo then set up dummy clips to switch the patch anywhere in the track.
So would I have to edit the patch in Live in order to have Live recall the patch when i open the song?

jahnlay

Post by jahnlay » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:41 pm

No, Live doesn't do sysex or edit mid patches. You can change the patch via Live and record the changes live. Then Live will play those changes back each time.
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:49 pm

jahnlay wrote:No, Live doesn't do sysex or edit mid patches. You can change the patch via Live and record the changes live. Then Live will play those changes back each time.
Thanks, im going to experiment a little with this. I'm just trying to make things easier with using my hardware synths. Too bad Live doesn't do sysex
:cry: I'd like to keep everything in Live.