traktor beatexperimenting instead of live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
InaBalloon

traktor beatexperimenting instead of live

Post by InaBalloon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:13 am

I soleley used to produce at home with live. And dj with vinyl. Recently performed live with live on a latop and found out i want to mix and remix live with other tracks and my own. I just like to make scetches of my own tracks and use the looping on the fly function of traktor to remix it live on a performance, with tracks from beatport. You guys think this will be possible, without limiting to much without using live?
Any input very appriciated, thanks

honsey

Post by honsey » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:08 pm

you can sync live and traktor via midi. so i would use both to be more flexible...
the tracks in traktor will define the bpm and you can fire your loops in live.

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Check out the latest NI Hawtin videos. Interesting stuff!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:26 pm

Funny... he's doing basically pretty much the same thing as me, has similar opinions, except for some basic design descisions I've made:

- No computer screen in front of me, last gig I didn't even touch the computer (thanks to the Lemur, which is also a screen but laying down... makes a huge difference I think)
- beat repeat instead of loop length (because until now I couldn't get the loop parameters correctly mapped, I still don't get the loop on/off out of Live, so I only use buttons to set a loop and then alter it with the beat repeats)
- Different Fx, also additional synths
- Live instead of Traktor

I think we're talking about an exciting new approach inbetween deejaying and live playing and if you come up with new ideas or videos, let us know.

Good Luck!

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:39 am

nbinder wrote:Funny... he's doing basically pretty much the same thing as me, has similar opinions, except for some basic design descisions I've made:

- No computer screen in front of me, last gig I didn't even touch the computer (thanks to the Lemur, which is also a screen but laying down... makes a huge difference I think)
- beat repeat instead of loop length (because until now I couldn't get the loop parameters correctly mapped, I still don't get the loop on/off out of Live, so I only use buttons to set a loop and then alter it with the beat repeats)
- Different Fx, also additional synths
- Live instead of Traktor

I think we're talking about an exciting new approach inbetween deejaying and live playing and if you come up with new ideas or videos, let us know.

Good Luck!
Sounds exciting; any video of some of the action?
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aps2HSc2YCI

The videos shows only the browser and the player interfaces. My work on it has progressed very much in the meantime, I'll make a new video soon (hopefully :roll:)

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:31 am

It's funny, with Live you can do all of that and much more... :wink:

roby

Re: traktor beatexperimenting instead of live

Post by roby » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:59 pm

InaBalloon wrote:I soleley used to produce at home with live. And dj with vinyl. Recently performed live with live on a latop and found out i want to mix and remix live with other tracks and my own. I just like to make scetches of my own tracks and use the looping on the fly function of traktor to remix it live on a performance, with tracks from beatport. You guys think this will be possible, without limiting to much without using live?
Any input very appriciated, thanks
you can have up to 4 decks running in Traktor, so you could use, let's say the first two for your BEatport tracks, and the second two for your own loops.

InaBalloon

Post by InaBalloon » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:46 pm

Moody wrote:Check out the latest NI Hawtin videos. Interesting stuff!
Yes, thanks for the tip, allready viewed them, allmost exactly what I want to do with it