Muse Receptor!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Smellhound

Muse Receptor!

Post by Smellhound » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:58 pm

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor.php

does anyone own it? i'm very curious how well the 'Uniwire' technology works because i'd like to set up racks of synths/samplers that don't bog down my CPU. however if that means introducing an annoying amount of latency i'd rather not bother.

dhilsabeck

Re: Muse Receptor!

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Smellhound wrote: however if that means introducing an annoying amount of latency i'd rather not bother.
I believe it does exactly the opposite. I think there will be little to no latency because all of the processing power gets devoted to the receptor which has all of your vst samples stored on its HD...

I could be wrong though.

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:24 pm

this is a very noob question, but does latency always increase relative to CPU load?

if that's the case then you're right. but the other consideration with this is the latency to play an instrument loaded on the Receptor is double whatever your host latency is (they say that on their website). but yeah, if host latency is always relative to CPU load, then it's probably a good investment.

Jomdom

Post by Jomdom » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:31 pm

Smellhound wrote:this is a very noob question, but does latency always increase relative to CPU load?
For the most part yes. Whatever is handling your DSP has to work harder, faster, and very likely better/stronger.
"No one cares, no one sympathizes; you just stay home and play synthesizers."
- Flight of the Conchords

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:32 pm

Smellhound wrote:this is a very noob question, but does latency always increase relative to CPU load?
I think so.
Smellhound wrote: if that's the case then you're right. but the other consideration with this is the latency to play an instrument loaded on the Receptor is double whatever your host latency is (they say that on their website).
That seems weird. I thought it would be the other way around. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.
Smellhound wrote: it's probably a good investment.
If you've got the dough and lots of vsts you'd like to use in a live performance setting where reliability and less latency are vital. I guess it could be.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:36 pm

you're mixing cause and effect.

the things you do to lower latency require more CPU time.

latency is largely in your soundcard, a Muse type of device would have negligible latency, the bottlenecks are the connection to the Muse (USB, firewire, whatever) and the Muse's PCI bus (or whatever), all that is MUCH faster than the sampling rate.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:45 pm

dhilsabeck wrote: That seems weird. I thought it would be the other way around. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.
It has to do with the ethernet connection it uses. So it'd be MIDI in to your interface, then to the Receptor via the ethernet cable, and audio returning to the computer via the same cable. Apparently that amounts to exactly double the host latency. But it seems to be an ok trade off if I can be running many different CPU-heavy synths and samplers.

So...does anyone own it??

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:47 pm

Smellhound wrote:Apparently that amounts to exactly double the host latency.
why do you say that? I haven't looked into those things, no interest in getting one, I might be wrong but I do not see how it would double the latency.

10 10Mbit Ethernet connection is waaaaaay faster than the sampling rate, it is not the bottleneck.

got a link?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:20 am

I would like to hijack this post ,if I might. Today I, too, thought of starting a thread called Muse Receptor.

Being that I want this to be nothing more than a great Rompler; Battery kits, NI pianos and organs and electric pianos and synths, how performance friendly will I find it for storing banks of "favorite" presets. Anyone have any idea ?(Chi DJ?)Or how one might creatively find an owner?

And I mostly want to know what the latency is compared to a hardware synth/keyboard.

And how well a standard pitch bend wheel works with Battery kits! 8O
Life is Good

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:40 am

dude. google. a quick search on "Muse Receptor latency" first hit
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54863

a few posts down... (don't care to read it all, not interested in the box.)
Operating at 44.1khz A PC with an RME Multiface/Cardbuss running logic with a 64 sample IO buffer setting has a latency of 190 samples or 4.3 ms.

The receptor operating at the same buffer setting has latency of 7.3 ms which tells me it has about 128 more samples worth of buffering going on somewhere.

I see the receptor has a 32 sample buffer setting which lets it operate at a 4.3 ms latency. That is an acceptable amount of latency for me as a player to deal with. 7.3 is more than I want to deal with.
I boil that down to 'latency is there but it's usable.'
argue amongst yourselves.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

kb420

Re: Muse Receptor!

Post by kb420 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:07 am

Smellhound wrote:http://www.museresearch.com/receptor.php

does anyone own it? i'm very curious how well the 'Uniwire' technology works because i'd like to set up racks of synths/samplers that don't bog down my CPU. however if that means introducing an annoying amount of latency i'd rather not bother.

From what I've seen in the Uniwire videos, your latency with the Muse will be exactly 2X your computers latency.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:35 am

What does it actually do?
I clicked on the link at KVR and there are a few different versions of this Receptor...
So can you store all your vsts and stuff on there?
it looks good but fucking expensive..
rob :wink:

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:56 pm

it's basically a dedicated VST host. it can operate independent of your computer/host software. expensive, yes...but if you watch the videos on their site you'll see why it's worth it.

thanks for the info everyone, i think i'm going to try it

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:51 am

Yeah there's different versions as far as i can see but i would'nt buy one as i think it ould not benefit me for what i do however it might be good for pro studios and stuff... :wink:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:59 am

with real cpu power being so readily available and cheap these days... something like the muse is a bit overkill imho.. the basic receptor is $2099.. you have the first lot of quad core laptops on offer for $650 more.. give it a few short months and the muse will be outclassed by a more versatile machine.