Got a new job... lots of AV stuff for sale... and free!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:48 pm

Unfortunately, the lighting weighs a ton.

I certainly won't miss 5+ hours setting up and breaking down!

Machinesworking

Re: Got a new job... lots of AV stuff for sale!

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:48 pm

thelike5 wrote: Man, tough crowd. Gobama!
I know the one joke that will get repeated ad nauseam soon enough is "It's an ObamaNation!" by both sides. :roll:

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:56 pm

hambone1 wrote:Unfortunately, the lighting weighs a ton.

I certainly won't miss 5+ hours setting up and breaking down!
I recently did my first gig trying to incorporate all my lights. Time to set up audio gear = 15 minutes. Time to set up lighting gear = 50 minutes...and that was just 1 truss!!

Then throw in the competing lights in the venue that keep the place fairly safe and my setup was almost a complete waste of time with no effect.

So yeah, I'm sure there are aspects you won't miss.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:01 pm

If I did it again, I'd minimize the lighting and concentrate more on the video. There are SO many lighting-style effects you can do on the video screens.

Economical and compact LED/OLED screens (think hi-rez 'curtains') are the future. You'll have the best of lighting and video in one fixture.
Last edited by hambone1 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:09 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
thelike5 wrote: Man, tough crowd. Gobama!
I know the one joke that will get repeated ad nauseam soon enough is "It's an ObamaNation!" by both sides. :roll:
Ha, I haven't heard that one yet. Hurry, run out and make some t-shirts to sell. You could capitalize there...

When Obama came to Cleveland everyone was yelling "Gobama!!" I thought it was funny but really just wanted to hear the Arcade Fire, who he brought to play, for free!!

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:00 pm

You seem like a cool guy from your (thousands!) of posts here and I certainly hope you'll still be around.

Congratulations on your new gig. UAE/Dubai do represent a new kind of future in the world. Who knows where it will all lead? But currently they are swimming in money. The projects they're building there are truly staggering.

Back in the 70s I had the chance to do computer work in Saudi Arabia. Not a glamorous gig but if I would have had the guts to sign up for it for three years I could likely have been retired since then!

Or have spent all I made on hookers and blow...oh well...

Cheers!
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

EARLGREY

Post by EARLGREY » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:15 pm

Congrats !
Feel a bit sad though.....your posts here and at the vjforums have been my #1 resource of (helpful) knowledge...
My hat off to you....

rgrds

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:18 pm

Something tells me I'll keep my finger in the AV pie. I love the technology and discovering new and different ways to use it... I'm just crap at the business stuff and people skills, and have a low boredom threshold! :oops:

Hmmm... live-looping trumpet, percussion, and video could be fun... :?
Last edited by hambone1 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:42 pm

I see some things I might be interested in...Ill keep my eye open here, let me know when you start your auctions.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:36 pm

Congratulations on the new job Kevin! When do you depart England's green and pleasant land? Really hope you'll keep in touch with us here on the forum!!!

(actually, I bet the parts you're going to will quite green and pleasant too....)

Very Best,
Paddy

mohler

Post by mohler » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:36 am

Yeah all the best you're a valuable asset to the community here.

Do let us know when you list the gear sounds like a treasure trove.

Roly
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:43 am

hambone1 wrote:Just got a new job doing Authorware/Director/Maya courseware development in the UAE, and the Live AV experience helped to secure it!

Six-figure US$ tax-free salary + apartment, car, utilities, housekeeper, trips home supplied... couldn't say no, even though it means living in the desert!

Anyways, I'll have tons of AV stuff on eBay after next month's functions.

Well, fuck it. Big Congrats, Bone.

Hey, I didn't know you work in Maya?

So are you developing training programs and such?
Six-figure US$ tax-free salary + apartment, car, utilities, housekeeper, trips home supplied... couldn't say no, even though it means living in the desert!
Holy crap. Guess you're buying the first round when I'm over on business!

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:10 am

Not to rain on your parade but I just realized six figure US dollars comes out to roughly 8-11 euros. 8O I'd renegotiate.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:26 am

landrvr1 wrote:Guess you're buying the first round when I'm over on business!
Absolutely!
beats me wrote:Not to rain on your parade but I just realized six figure US dollars comes out to roughly 8-11 euros. 8O I'd renegotiate.
:D ... :cry:
Pitch Black wrote:Congratulations on the new job Kevin! When do you depart England's green and pleasant land?
Thanks, Paddy! It looks like an interesting place to live, although it's an hour-long commute each way (and probably NOT on a bicycle!). All going well, I should be out there by October.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:27 am

Wish you well and good luck in your new direction.

You deserve a 7 figure sum!