Show your STAGE set-ups!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:37 am

am wrote:Image
Great look! What software are you running for visuals?

HiEnergy

Post by HiEnergy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:43 pm

Compared to everything else we saw before, my setup is really simple consisting of merely three parts:
- a laptop (Toshiba Satellite M40X-112)
- a BCR-2000 controller
- a Virus TI Desktop which also serves a purpose as a "sound card", so no mixer needed

My whole setup can be seen in this image:

For carrying my equipment to event venues I use a trolley similar to this one:
Last edited by HiEnergy on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:25 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
bensuthers wrote:which year was that Paddy?
2003. egad Ben! it's your stage man!!!! do they all just blur into one? :wink:
bensuthers wrote:You **must*** send me some new music.

(actually, you don't have to at all, but I'd really like it!)
Certainly!.... er... how's the line-up looking for Auckland '09?? :D

yes they really all do blur into one.... (remembering that 2003 Auckland was my 46th BDO and I've now done 81 of the fucking things) but especially because Auckland is the start of the tour every year and I usually forget how things are in Auckland by half way through Gold Coast.

you only want to do Auckland?

are you going to be around? jetsetters that you are!!!

The last record I ***bought*** was frequencies......

anyway - more on the email - it hasn't changed for a bit....

bvl

Post by bvl » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:45 pm

My live rig changes pretty regularly depending on the gig. Here are a couple of variations:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chromedeca ... 203467326/

This was a pretty stripped-down setup, due to the fact that I was only playing a 15-minute set. It all packed down into the 4-space SKB rack that the MacBook is on, plus a laptop bag and stand bag (for the Ultimate Deltex and mic stand).

The barely-visible SM-57 is plugged into an M-Audio FireWire 1814 (under the glockenspiel), and the mic can be sent into a looping delay by hitting the footswitch. One click send the mic's signal in, another click turns it off. It works great for doing simple live looping on stage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chromedecay/411337673/

This is about as much gear as I ever take out. I was switching between playing guitar and keys, singing on a few songs, and manipulating stuff in Live. You can see the PodXT Live on the ground, the Trigger Finger on the mic stand, and other bits & pieces.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chromedecay/2360468101/

Finally, here's one with me and my music partner Joshua Schnable playing live. In that configuration, I pretty much stick to playing guitar and manipulating drums, while he plays live keys and works through the Live set, switching tracks & parameters. I'm playing guitar through the PodXT Live, working drums & FX with the Trigger Finger, and playing a bit of glockenspiel. Josh has the 76-key controller and the laptop.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:57 pm

bvl wrote:My live rig changes pretty regularly depending on the gig. Here are a couple of variations:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chromedeca ... 203467326/

Nice set up. I also have a glockenspiel & various little percussion instruments which I sometimes use in performance, so seeing them here being used live puts a smile on my face.

I've been thinking of getting a glockenspiel like yours. How do you like it? The glockenspiel I have is quite a bit larger & has no minor keys (I still love it though).

Also like your colour-coded Peavey PC1600x & keyboard. I just saw your Peavey faceplate on Flickr, well done!

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:59 am

Pitch Black wrote:
am wrote:Image
Great look! What software are you running for visuals?
hey Paddy,

i make the visuals in final cut, or i-movie!...then export as quicktime, and run it from live.... along with the tracks.

:)Matt
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

furrybum

Post by furrybum » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:51 am

creature wrote:bloody hell. i didn't know there were so many people from Derby in the UK on here :-)

Steve
Derby is the centre of the world.....you should know that mr creature man!!!
Macbook (An old white one...WITH FIREWIRE!!!!!)
Tascam Fireone
Spongefork
Logic Studio
Tassman 4
Live 7

http://www.myspace.com/darklightuk

onehandstand

Post by onehandstand » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:51 pm

this setup is from the last summers gigs, now the mnm & kp3 are gone and replaced with monome 128 and molar. I am really happy now when all my gear fits in a backpack.

plexiglass

Post by plexiglass » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:35 pm

nice

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:12 am

Pitch Black wrote: The two trolleys that the mixer and Macs are siting on break down to become road cases.
what brand of road case are they? would be keen to see what they look like if you know of a link?
Pitch Black wrote:Every part of the rig (5 bits when packed) weighs less that 32kg/50lbs so that each bit can travel as "baggage" on aircraft.
so do you actually take your own controllers with you if you're playing os? couldn't they be supplied by the event organiser?

i'm just amazed that you can get all of that kit down to 32kg's
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:36 am

lunabass wrote:
Pitch Black wrote: The two trolleys that the mixer and Macs are siting on break down to become road cases.
what brand of road case are they? would be keen to see what they look like if you know of a link?
Sorry for the blurry pics

I designed and built them myself. They are made of 10mm plywood, constructed around a system of 25mm aluminium extrusion frame. Details of the frame here: http://www.ullrich-aluminium.co.nz/furnprts.htm
The corner mouldings knock in with a hammer and stay there by friction. So there is a rectangular frame bolted into the top and bottom halves of each roadcase, and the 4 vertical poles slot in by hand, and the lid goes on top.

Controllers and computers go on the top, and all the leads/rack/power supplies sit in the bottom for gigging. A black cloth wraps round the front to make everything look slick.

Because the trolleys/roadcases are wheeled, we can patch up our rig completely, connect power, audio and video, boot up and do a line-check at the side of stage/backstage, then roll on into position and play in 30 seconds. Very handy for getting on and off at festivals.

It's nice to be completely self-contained and never have to worry about sourcing tables/roadcases etc on the day.
lunabass wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:Every part of the rig (5 bits when packed) weighs less that 32kg/50lbs so that each bit can travel as "baggage" on aircraft.
so do you actually take your own controllers with you if you're playing os? couldn't they be supplied by the event organiser?
It's that self-contained ethos again. Sometimes on overseas tours we'll play in 5 different countries in a week, and to organize equipment in each city would be a nightmare - then we'd have to sysex dump all our patches into the hire gear for every gig...
So we've got it down to a predictable system - more than a DJ, but less than a band. :)
Last edited by Pitch Black on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MBP M1Max | Sonoma 14.5 | Live 12.0.1 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3T | A clump of controllers
Soundcloud
Ableton Certified Trainer

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:45 am

love the idea of turning the road cases into the tables. cheers for the info :D
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:28 am

blurry shots here also:

this was my live rig for a live house group i was in called 'the operators'
laptop.
bcr 2000 (hidden by the lappie)
roland ax7 to the left...just in case i felt the need to strap something on!
nord micro modular for vocoder and synth noises.
notice my trusty ironing board acting as the stand...have only just moved on from that thing!
this setup was a nightmare as i carried most things separately

we had sax and bass for the live element

this is my setup for a live drum'n'bass thing i've started called kamuku. no live shots yet...still only in the rehearsal stage.
novation ks4 synth.
my left: yamaha mg10fx mixer.
centre: boss sp505 sampler.
right: nord micro.
no ableton for me in this project!
everything except for the stand fits into the roadcase. the roadcase has wheels...much easier setup.

we also got live drums and keys/samples via reason.
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

bvl

Post by bvl » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:57 am

oblique strategies wrote: Nice set up. I also have a glockenspiel & various little percussion instruments which I sometimes use in performance, so seeing them here being used live puts a smile on my face.

I've been thinking of getting a glockenspiel like yours. How do you like it? The glockenspiel I have is quite a bit larger & has no minor keys (I still love it though).
Thanks! I quite like my little glockenspiel. It's available here:

http://www.amazon.com/LMI-Note-Bell-Set ... 434&sr=8-1

Cheap, cheerful and (almost) Chinese - it's actually Korean. The box makes me smile:

oblique strategies wrote:Also like your colour-coded Peavey PC1600x & keyboard. I just saw your Peavey faceplate on Flickr, well done!
That was a fun project. It really does make it a much more usable piece of gear for me.

Bill

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:02 am

bvl wrote:Image

Fantastic Koreanglish! :D