This is a joke right?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Timur

Post by Timur » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:07 pm

Don't worry too much about the antivirus and high number of running processes. As long as the antivirus isn't scanning your drives it shouldn't get you into troubles (although you can never know with non corporate Symantec products). In order to find out if your processes are the reason for the bad performance simply turn the Live process to "Realtime" via Taskmanager (right-click, priority -> realtime). That will push its priority above all other processes. If that helps then the culprit is likely one of your other processes.

To turn off Multiprocessing in Live, simply go to Preferences -> CPU.

Also I noticed some "AirGcfg" process on your process list, which looks like a WLAN adapter running in your system. That can pose serious problems to audio-processing, so turn it off via hardware-manager or BIOS or whatever you have on your system for that.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Turn off hyperthreading in your BIOS if it isn't turned off already as well as turning off multiprocessor support in Live. Most audio apps don't like HT at all...

ew

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:39 am

Thanks for all the advice.

I think the Emu 404 settings were responsible for the pops and clicks whilst using live.The setting in the Emu control panel was showing to be running at 10ms..It's clear now that i cannot run Live 7 with the Emu 404 at 10ms however when i set it to 20ms all problems disappeared and the problems of pops and clicks have gone.Now i can run the setup i had in the screenshot earlier with even more plugins.Im just wondering if live puts a block on things when the cpu hits a certain percentage as its now showing that im reaching a cpu hit of 30% but now i have shit loads of stuff running but this time no timing problems or clicks and pops.

I did what some of you said here and turned off hyper threading and unplugged the wireless adapter aswell and all seems to be 100% better.Live was running for 6 hours last night with no glitches.I also noticed that i couldn't have changed the multi-processor support settings anyway as they were greyed out??

Like i said iv'e set the Emu 404 at 20ms in the control panel and it seems to have done the trick i pushed it to 40ms but that was too far as there was a bit too much delay from hitting the keys to hearing the sound..I may buy a new soundcard soon but for me after making the adjustments you lot said im now up and running.

There's still a long list of stuff running in the taskbar thing but i don't know what they are and so im not gonna touch them.

Thanks for all the advice guys it's much appreciated..

Rob :wink:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:11 am

Live is more CPU intensive.

You can always freeze vsti tracks (nexus, operator, whatever) to save a LOT of CPU overhead. As someone who ran Cubase for 7 years from VST 3.5 to SX3, I can say that Cubase is more CPU efficient than Live, typically around 12% more, but freeze sucks arse in Cubase SX3, it doesn't work properly, so although you can save CPU by processing audio fx offline (offline processing), for MIDI vstis it barely saves anything.

For example, one 5 fingered chord in a Massive patch not on eco mode can burn 30% of my CPU, Operator and live's devices are often racked and the stacking of fx on top of the patch (sometimes not necessary or you might have sends sent up etc) adds major RAM and CPU usage that can be avoided. One patch from Arturia's JP8V was at 61% on my CPU meter, I cut the number of polyphony from 32 to 8 and it was a more manageable 23% but this is where track freeze is your friend. You want great sounds, but synths are getting more lush and also more CPU intensive.

As someone who uses MIDI vstis a LOT in their work, I find it more useful to use Live because it has a track freeze that actually works !

I have also noticed I can run Cubase (and Reason) on one latency notch better than Live. Then again, Cubase's linear timeline is so uninspiring. I just cannot go back to composing and arranging in Cubase, even the play order mode doesn't help much.

And last thing, I noticed you had some hella expensive audio fx processing, waves and sonnox - I am certainly making no accusations as I don't know you from Adam and these could well be legit, but just stating a general point for anyone who is interested - if you should be running some, shall we say, 'unauthorized' versions of software (maybe downloaded through limewire etc), they often have memory leaks and CPU drainage not attributed to the original versions and this can show up more on some systems than others.

Live is more CPU intensive and requires a higher latency to run but it's not a massive difference from Cubase SX3 on my system, still it is noticeable and I fear that I might not be able to go for the next upgrade unless I get a new computer system first as this one is starting to show it's age a bit.

P.S. You had 2 Internet Explorer windows, wifi and norton a/v running in the picture. With all this stuff running, you are going to take a performance hit whether you run Live or Cubase. Anything non DAW associated - turn it off in the task manager apps and SERVICES that relate to those apps.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:46 am

leedsquietman wrote:Live is more CPU intensive.

And last thing, I noticed you had some hella expensive audio fx processing, waves and sonnox - I am certainly making no accusations as I don't know you from Adam and these could well be legit, but just stating a general point for anyone who is interested - if you should be running some, shall we say, 'unauthorized' versions of software (maybe downloaded through limewire etc), they often have memory leaks and CPU drainage not attributed to the original versions and this can show up more on some systems than others.
Hi mate,all plugins are legal and registered.I don't do the cracked or dodgy download thing i just get alot of discount from Sound Control as i have an account there so i can just pay for things every 6 months.(Sorry had to put that point across).
Also i did disconnect my music computer from all internet and wifi connections and bingo...Live 7 works a treat.Im sure it may have some more glitches in future but for now i haven't found any.
Im just happy i can get a session done today...finally although i may have a trip into town tommorrow and get a new soundcard and sell the Emu 404.

Also i don't think i could go back to Cubase SX now unless of course Ableton ever discontinued making Live lol.
In 1988 i used to use an old Atari with Cubase..doesn't time fly hehe.My first ever sequencer i think was called Star Tracker or something on the Amiga.
Thanks Rob :wink:

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:49 am

Turning off multiprocessor support helped me to get my CPU count down. Then, a few weeks ago, I turned it back on and everything worked ever better :?: No idea why.

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:51 am

duluxdog wrote:Turning off multiprocessor support helped me to get my CPU count down. Then, a few weeks ago, I turned it back on and everything worked ever better :?: No idea why.
Hi although i can see the Multi-Processor in there it is greyed out and i can't click on it anyway..
Rob

Timur

Post by Timur » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:59 am

rob lee wrote:I think the Emu 404 settings were responsible for the pops and clicks whilst using live.The setting in the Emu control panel was showing to be running at 10ms..It's clear now that i cannot run Live 7 with the Emu 404 at 10ms however when i set it to 20ms all problems disappeared and the problems of pops and clicks have gone.Now i can run the setup i had in the screenshot earlier with even more plugins.Im just wondering if live puts a block on things when the cpu hits a certain percentage as its now showing that im reaching a cpu hit of 30% but now i have shit loads of stuff running but this time no timing problems or clicks and pops.
Try this:

Go to Preferences -> CPU and turn "Plugin Buffers" from "Same as Audio Buffers" to a manual value that is larger than the value you use for your Emu 404 when using 10 ms.

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:05 am

Hi Timur i explored that last night but left it alone.In my setting it says my setting is as audio buffer.I have noticed i can change it but what would you recommend i change it to as it shows up all sorts of numbers hehe?
cheers rob

m:o

Post by m:o » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:12 am

To compare your system to similar one's, there's the Live 6&7 PerformanceTest.
here > http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... mance+test

Seems that you figured out (haven't read all 3 pages) by changing System settings.
To see if your system works as it should, do the test......

Timur

Post by Timur » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:18 am

Plugin Buffers work just like Audio Buffers and will increase your latency in addition to what Audio Buffers already do. So setting is to the default "As Audio Buffers" will exactly double your latencies as soon as you use external Plugins/VSTs. Unfortunately my own experience also shows that higher Plugin Buffer sizes in Live lead to timing instabilities with external Plugins/VSTs.

Usually I recommend a setting of either 256 (slightly less CPU load) or 128 (less latency and tighter timing). Anything below 128 will increase CPU load considerably, but as long as your CPU can handle it 64 is the best performing setting. Anything above 256 can lead to audible timing problems for me, but Ableton did not acknowledge this as a reproduceable bug yet (doesn't happen for me with Reaper). 512 is also still ok for me, especially since it lowers CPU load a tiny bit more. Anything higher than that is useless for me.

But since you are experiencing CPU load/buffer related problems you should at least try to set this high only for finding out if it will allow you to use 10 ms with your Emu. Also try turning off "Latency Compensation" because maybe there is just a problem with one of your plugins that you need to find out about.

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:21 am

Thanks Timur i'll try this when im on live later..i must say that after all the advice im getting here my p.c seems to be running much better as is live.
:wink:
Rob

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:30 am

Glad things are working better for you mate !

Timur is right about the plugin buffer thing too. i wasn't so sure about that at first, but after trying it for myself, it does have an impact.

Yup. I was hardware only until 1999, 4 track, 8 track reel, ADAT etc. but used to stare misty eyed at Atari 1040's running Cubase in the music store when I was a spotty teenager :)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:44 am

leedsquietman wrote:Glad things are working better for you mate !

Timur is right about the plugin buffer thing too. i wasn't so sure about that at first, but after trying it for myself, it does have an impact.

Yup. I was hardware only until 1999, 4 track, 8 track reel, ADAT etc. but used to stare misty eyed at Atari 1040's running Cubase in the music store when I was a spotty teenager :)
Thanks mate, yes Timur knows his stuff and i much appreciate it and for all the input from everyone.my system is running great and me is now a happy chappy lol..
Rob

Timur

Post by Timur » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:50 am

leedsquietman wrote:Timur is right about the plugin buffer thing too. i wasn't so sure about that at first, but after trying it for myself, it does have an impact.
Hey Leeds, what kind of impact do you mean? Latency and CPU load are expected, but did you also notice the timing problems/difference?