Did Live make Recycle slightly useless?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
j2j

Did Live make Recycle slightly useless?

Post by j2j » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:41 pm

Damn,

I can't believe the functionality of racks and Lives new slicing features... I've been experimenting with some tribal trance... Nothing good to show for it yet, but I must say, I am so impressed....

Talk about lifting grooves, and beats and samples... It is just beyond. And I bought recycle before L 7 came out cause I knew I'd want to do this eventually, but I just find that Live is better at it.

Is that weird? Are you still using recycle? Do think its slicing is better?
too many lasers...

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:56 pm

:D I had the exact same question before l7 came out. I contemplated buying recycle but held off. I think the only benefit of keeping recycle would be the ability to use the rex format in other apps (if you go that way) (I use DP as my main host). But all in all I agree with your assessment.......gotta love tribal trance (despite the forum flack...tarnce :lol: :lol: :lol: ) circa dragonfly records......late 90's.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Sleep Tyght

Post by Sleep Tyght » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:08 pm

I haven't used recycle in over a year. I own Stylus RMX, but I only convert recycled material into it when I buy sample cds in REX format. I don't even bother making my own rex files.

With Live 7 I just don't see the point.
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:29 pm

but how are you guys using the slicing, is it in conjunction mainly with beats that are like house beats and don't change much or is it jazz beats with changes all over the place or what ?
Live doesn't even have a groove feature so if you're slicing up a beat and then making your own kits and reprograming beats aren't you having problems with that?

j2j

Post by j2j » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Yeah, recycle is a little more surgical... but you can slice at the warp marker...

actually I am opening up recycle right now, so I might have jumped the gun a little. still, the racks and the slicing is just too, too wicked...
too many lasers...

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:51 pm

ok so what are you going to recycle for right now that you're just not doing with live?

helpful thread btw

j2j

Post by j2j » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:21 pm

Well, I'm experimenting...

I don't find it so easy to lift grooves, and fit em into a track. Not that I have every diligently practiced it, but I've wanted to get a little more tribal for a while, so slowly I am chiseling away at it...

:D

Call me a groove thief but, I have some tribal records I snagged on CD baby, and I am cutting and lifting, mixing and mashing...

Anyways, Recycle is a bit more surgical, has a little bit of a better gating ability than LIve's slice and dice macro.

However! With the warp markers in LIve you can really change the feel and the groove and everything...

Right now I am using a combo of " audio samps made in live " ( i don't know what else to call em ) and rex files..

I am trying to sorta build a nice 32 bar tribal vibe intro for my next piece...

Its not so easy actually... Recycle does seem to let you get in there and slice surgical though... But truthfully I think Lives over all functionality with slicing, blows recycle away. Recycle is very slow and kinda buggy on my machine...

Anyways, hope that helps.. I have a feeling I wrote out a lot of words but didn't really say more than....

??
too many lasers...

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Kontakt 3 or phatmatik pro make recycle pretty redundant. But Live 7, no. No beat detection? So you have to manually set each slice. Can't preview the loop chopped up in it's regular groove either. Setting the warp markers kills the groove until you send it to a rack. So unless you're using simple loops without too many slices that are nice and cleanly quantized to the beat, Live 7 certainly doesn't replace slicers like Recycle (or kontakt 3 for me personally).
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:36 pm

haha no thats good, i'm panning for insights and i find that getting a feel for what someone is trying to accomplish helps me to understand the capabilities of the tool more.

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:58 pm

I dunno, Live 7 is all I need, but then I'm not constantly warping drum loops or usually doing it very lightly. I like the ability to use Live's slicer to slice to Sampler, throw some dirty FM Osc on there and then combine that with a drum rack (from scratch each time usually). Depends entirely on how one prefers to construct their parts.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:54 am

a lot of Live users do everything heavily quantized on a straight 4/4 beat, so the Live slicing works just great for them. All the house and tarnce people for a start ...

Anyone with more visions of creativity other than kick on 1,2,3,4 and snare on 2 and 4 would probably need to look elsewhere.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:00 am

leedsquietman wrote:a lot of Live users do everything heavily quantized on a straight 4/4 beat, so the Live slicing works just great for them. All the house and tarnce people for a start ...

Anyone with more visions of creativity other than kick on 1,2,3,4 and snare on 2 and 4 would probably need to look elsewhere.

I strongly disagree! I don't write house or tarnce, but I do compose in 4/4, 6/8, 9/8, 7/8,5/8, and 15/16 as just an example. And I don't need groove quantize or Recycle or Phatmatik Pro, because I can accomplish what I want to write in Live (and perform in those meters now with L7 since Session can now tell what time signature you're in).

I will sometimes recycle drum loops that I've composed myself using Live's warp markers and its slicing, and anyone can use these do work in any groove or meter they want, it's just how you go about it and what tools you gravitate toward.

j2j

Post by j2j » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:05 am

Why do people insist on making light of trance so much? There is so much shit music across so many genres.
too many lasers...

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:24 am

I think trance is fine music for those that dig it. IMHO, I don't care for the co-opting of the name that could describe the psychological effect of lots of musical genres into a genre name for one style of electronic music.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:07 am

leedsquietman wrote:a lot of Live users do everything heavily quantized on a straight 4/4 beat, so the Live slicing works just great for them. All the house and tarnce people for a start ...

what i'm talkin about

what kind of stuff you doin lazos