Are Ableton winning or loosing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Are Ableton winning or loosing customers

winning
78%
loosing
22%

Total votes: 102

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:13 am

Tone Deft wrote:
the_planet wrote:Jeez, can't satisfy anyone, eh?
never.

thing is, people rarely post when things work for them, hence most things are worthless, broken, unusable pieces of crap, like every release of Live, it's the people with issues that rant.

I'd still like to see Ableton get their plug ins out of clip view, let them pop out, take up some screen real estate, let them be artwork rather than efficient German tools.
like...

fruity loops?

ohdear.

jlgrimes

Re: Are Ableton winning or loosing

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:30 am

heavensdaw wrote:Customers..?

I'm wondering if Ableton are getting right or not... It seems so many people have gripes (some major others not so) about Live..

Does every DAW manufacturer have so many disgruntled customers?

There are a lot of Live fan-boys here (me included!) that have a very positive perspective of Ableton... But I can't help thinking..

Is it a case of the more features they introduce, the more there is to moan about? Or is it that after what seems long enough they haven't sorted out the things people have been asking them to since what, version 4? When they took the step into DAWdom...

Also, the fight to, a)get customers in the first place and b) keeping them, gets tighter every year..

For me I love Live and I'm completely into it. But IMHO it's getting much more complicated and bloated to use, and what worries me is with every version it seems in a way to lose focus on the simple and effective, and from that point of view ... I'm wondering..

Maybe I'm just having a bad day and have read too many negative posts :evil:

So guys what d'ya think?

Best

Hd

*Edited to add poll*

Every program I've used has a lot of complaining in the forums.

Sonar, Project 5, Reason, Live

There are just going to be some things a program isn't going to get right. Many people who complain anyways are usually generally happy with the program, its just a few little things that irritates them some.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:18 pm

I don´t think they are even competing. But in their own category they appear to kicking ass.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:44 am

Most folks posting here having a winge about poorly thought out features, missing feature, or just plain odd implementions are are not nescessarily disgrunted.

I use Live day in day out, to my mind its the best DAW there is for the way I like to work. But it isnt perfect, by a long way.

If you want to see real pissed off winging - go take a look at the Cubase forums.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 am

Khazul wrote:Most folks posting here having a winge about poorly thought out features, missing feature, or just plain odd implementions are are not nescessarily disgrunted.

I use Live day in day out, to my mind its the best DAW there is for the way I like to work. But it isnt perfect, by a long way.

If you want to see real pissed off winging - go take a look at the Cubase forums.
That nails it. I love the program, but the odd lack of a common feature can be frustrating.

raapie

Post by raapie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:36 am

I am an Ableton user since 1.5

Got a serious crash with Live 7 on OSX the second time I used it. Asked my money back. And Ableton credited my money which is great.

Live used to be unique but I felt it has turned in just another DAW. I was expecting more focus on audio, but it's not. Some other programs are offering more flexible timestretch possibilities. And I am still missing serious crossfade envelopes. I have been doing projects with more than 50 tracks and lots of small audio clips. I had to draw in the fades by hand. Very time consuming, so in the end I ended up using ProTools in the studio for some final editing.

I love the Live GUI and workflow. And I am still loving the program. But it feels weird not be able to use Live 7. Stability for me is number one. Propellerhead Reason is the most stable program I have ever used. ReCycle: same thing. And those programs are more focussed than Live.

But I understand that I am not a typical Live user. I am pro Ableton. I am sure they listen to their community and new cool features will appear in new versions. But one thing I feel which is necessary: a little more focus on what makes Live so unique. For me that's: audio tweaking to the max.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

Machinesworking

Re: ..

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:47 am

raapie wrote:I am an Ableton user since 1.5

Got a serious crash with Live 7 on OSX the second time I used it. Asked my money back. And Ableton credited my money which is great.

Live used to be unique but I felt it has turned in just another DAW. I was expecting more focus on audio, but it's not. Some other programs are offering more flexible timestretch possibilities. And I am still missing serious crossfade envelopes. I have been doing projects with more than 50 tracks and lots of small audio clips. I had to draw in the fades by hand. Very time consuming, so in the end I ended up using ProTools in the studio for some final editing.

I love the Live GUI and workflow. And I am still loving the program. But it feels weird not be able to use Live 7. Stability for me is number one. Propellerhead Reason is the most stable program I have ever used. ReCycle: same thing. And those programs are more focussed than Live.

But I understand that I am not a typical Live user. I am pro Ableton. I am sure they listen to their community and new cool features will appear in new versions. But one thing I feel which is necessary: a little more focus on what makes Live so unique. For me that's: audio tweaking to the max.

I'd like to see follow actions expanded into a way to set up a playlist, and tweak it, just the ability to turn off follow actions for a clip would be a HUGE plus IMO. I would never feel the need to work in Arrangement view until I was recording a song permanently. 8)

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
raapie wrote:I am an Ableton user since 1.5

I'd like to see follow actions expanded into a way to set up a playlist, and tweak it, just the ability to turn off follow actions for a clip would be a HUGE plus IMO. I would never feel the need to work in Arrangement view until I was recording a song permanently. 8)
id like to see an added feature to followactions so that you could group them into a metaclip (ie, select all the clips in the followaction queue, and collaps them into one clip only). i love followactions but its pretty annoying when youve set up a big queue of followactions and you have to launch a scene and you have 20 followactions clips, because then you either have to take away the followactions, or move the scene down below the 20 follow actions clips. beeing able to collaps them, and then have one clip that sends out a start/stop follow action queue command would be completely awesome.

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:10 pm

friend_kami wrote: id like to see an added feature to followactions so that you could group them into a metaclip (ie, select all the clips in the followaction queue, and collaps them into one clip only). i love followactions but its pretty annoying when youve set up a big queue of followactions and you have to launch a scene and you have 20 followactions clips, because then you either have to take away the followactions, or move the scene down below the 20 follow actions clips. beeing able to collaps them, and then have one clip that sends out a start/stop follow action queue command would be completely awesome.
whoaa.. never heard that one.. very very nice idea!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:42 pm

Poster wrote:
friend_kami wrote: id like to see an added feature to followactions so that you could group them into a metaclip (ie, select all the clips in the followaction queue, and collaps them into one clip only). i love followactions but its pretty annoying when youve set up a big queue of followactions and you have to launch a scene and you have 20 followactions clips, because then you either have to take away the followactions, or move the scene down below the 20 follow actions clips. beeing able to collaps them, and then have one clip that sends out a start/stop follow action queue command would be completely awesome.
You never.. never...
what?

Flashback to 2005

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =metaclips

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Poster wrote:
You never.. never...
what?

Flashback to 2005

:lol: I bow down Mr. Meta..

seriously.. despite the fact that friend_kami used the word 'metaclip' I had a whole different image in my head..
where as your meta clips use different content in a horizontal direction, mini arrangers,
I translated friend_kami's idea as a clip folder, in a vertical direction..

so just a column of 'normal' current session clips that you can hide in one clip folder..

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:16 pm

heh, simply turn your head to one side old bean.
Same thing.

a vertical line of clips.
a horizontal line of clips

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:17 pm

Poster wrote:
Angstrom wrote:
Poster wrote: whoaa.. never heard that one.. very very nice idea!
You never.. never...
what?

Flashback to 2005

:lol: I bow down Mr. Meta..

seriously.. despite the fact that friend_kami used the word 'metaclip' I had a whole different image in my head..
where as your meta clips use different content in a horizontal direction, mini arrangers,
I translated friend_kami's idea as a clip folder, in a vertical direction..

so just a column of 'normal' current session clips that you can hide in one clip folder..
BOTH would seriously ROCK 8O

Hd

(winning :wink: )

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Angstrom wrote:heh, simply turn your head to one side old bean.
Same thing.

hhmm.. not really the same to me..

with your idea the clip contains multiple clips but as a whole would still play in a linear A>B fashion.. 'mini arrangers'
visually I see this as a horizontal flow, as in Arrange ..

the other idea is that you have a stack of clips which could still indepentently loop..
visually I see this as a vertical stack, as in Session..

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:40 pm

Poster wrote:
Angstrom wrote:heh, simply turn your head to one side old bean.
Same thing.

hhmm.. not really the same to me..

with your idea the clip contains multiple clips but as a whole would still play in a linear A>B fashion.. 'mini arrangers'
visually I see this as a horizontal flow, as in Arrange ..

the other idea is that you have a stack of clips which could still indepentently loop..
visually I see this as a vertical stack, as in Session..
it would be exactly the same thing if each clip inside could still use follow actions