OT: Tunecore versus CDBaby

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
synnack

Post by synnack » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:43 pm

@ttaralli

Yeah man. That's the thing. Financially if you expect to sell a lot, Tunecore is a way better deal. If you expect to sell very little, CDBaby seems like a better deal.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:47 pm

pardon me,
why do you have to chose one OR the other;
can't you be an ambitious twat and go for one AND the other?

shed some light?
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

creature

Post by creature » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:54 pm

I have used tunecore for all my labels releases and I think they are brilliant. My reason for using them over cdbaby is thus. CdBaby actually works out a lot more expensive if you sell any decent amount of units compared to the yearly fees of tunecore.

For all my sales I have saved more money by swallowing the tunecore fee's than the hit per sale for cdbaby for digital.

I do use cdbaby though, but just for selling cd's, and they have been very good for that.

The majority of my cd sales have been from america, so having a company over there to ship in that country works out very good.

So it all comes down to how confident you are in makign digital sales imho. Hope this helps.

Steve

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:03 pm

creature wrote:I have used tunecore for all my labels releases and I think they are brilliant. My reason for using them over cdbaby is thus. CdBaby actually works out a lot more expensive if you sell any decent amount of units compared to the yearly fees of tunecore.

For all my sales I have saved more money by swallowing the tunecore fee's than the hit per sale for cdbaby for digital.

I do use cdbaby though, but just for selling cd's, and they have been very good for that.

The majority of my cd sales have been from america, so having a company over there to ship in that country works out very good.

So it all comes down to how confident you are in makign digital sales imho. Hope this helps.

Steve
Yeah I am starting to think that way too. If you look at it on a yearly basis, you'd only have to sell 3 full releases to break even.

Oh, and 4 emails from 3 different email addresses AND calling and leaving a message at CDBABY.. no reply.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Mesmer wrote:pardon me,
why do you have to chose one OR the other;
can't you be an ambitious twat and go for one AND the other?

shed some light?
You can't do that. If the digital retailers (like iTunes) get the same release from two different places they take it down entirely and wait for legal proof of ownership on who has the rights to do it.

It's exclusive.

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Any other options other than these two? Just wondering if the online dance music stores would ever open up to something like this (of course in conjunction with accepting tracks from labels)? But after what Beatport did, it just seems like the industry is going in the opposite direction.