what happens if I delete live 6 after upgrading to 7?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ScholarlyGent

what happens if I delete live 6 after upgrading to 7?

Post by ScholarlyGent » Thu May 22, 2008 6:08 pm

The subject title pretty much speaks for itself. I just loaded the live 7 upgrade and I want to free up disc space by deleting live 6. Seems like there shouldn't be any problem with doing this but I just want to make sure before I do something stupid.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 22, 2008 6:10 pm

Live uses previous versions for processing power, the more previous versions you have on your machine the smoother and warmer Live sounds, this is something that's grossly missing from the Performance Test.

do not delete it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Thu May 22, 2008 11:57 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Live uses previous versions for processing power, the more previous versions you have on your machine the smoother and warmer Live sounds, this is something that's grossly missing from the Performance Test.

do not delete it.
Well... that sure sounds like a load of shit. I'm just wondering if deleting a previous version of which I upgraded from will somehow delete presets of which the new version relies on.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri May 23, 2008 12:10 am

ScholarlyGent wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:Live uses previous versions for processing power, the more previous versions you have on your machine the smoother and warmer Live sounds, this is something that's grossly missing from the Performance Test.

do not delete it.
Well... that sure sounds like a load of shit. I'm just wondering if deleting a previous version of which I upgraded from will somehow delete presets of which the new version relies on.
.... just don't delete the library ...guy

Homebelly

Re: what happens if I delete live 6 after upgrading to 7?

Post by Homebelly » Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 am

ScholarlyGent wrote:The subject title pretty much speaks for itself. I just loaded the live 7 upgrade and I want to free up disc space by deleting live 6. Seems like there shouldn't be any problem with doing this but I just want to make sure before I do something stupid.
Your right to ask this question, it shows great responsibility.
Don't listen to these other fools, they are all deeply embroiled into the one world conspiracy and as such are really only focused on gaining complete and tyrannical control over all of us.
If you delete live 6.. or indeed any previous software versions of any applications, there is a very real danger that you might create a hole in the virtual time line continuum of your hard disk. The ancients understood this and the phenomenon is well documented on the cave walls of many ancient civilizations that flourished in France, the Asia's and the Balkans as well as also being well recorded in the lost scriptures of ancient Egypt and the middle east.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

ScholarlyGent

Re: what happens if I delete live 6 after upgrading to 7?

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri May 23, 2008 1:07 am

Homebelly wrote:
ScholarlyGent wrote:The subject title pretty much speaks for itself. I just loaded the live 7 upgrade and I want to free up disc space by deleting live 6. Seems like there shouldn't be any problem with doing this but I just want to make sure before I do something stupid.
Your right to ask this question, it shows great responsibility.
Don't listen to these other fools, they are all deeply embroiled into the one world conspiracy and as such are really only focused on gaining complete and tyrannical control over all of us.
If you delete live 6.. or indeed any previous software versions of any applications, there is a very real danger that you might create a hole in the virtual time line continuum of your hard disk. The ancients understood this and the phenomenon is well documented on the cave walls of many ancient civilizations that flourished in France, the Asia's and the Balkans as well as also being well recorded in the lost scriptures of ancient Egypt and the middle east.
See... I knew there was something to be worried about! I've seen ghost busters. You cant take shit like this lightly.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri May 23, 2008 1:09 am

What a bunch of fucking homers

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri May 23, 2008 2:11 am

well, since you're not really getting a straight answer

you can have as many or as few versions installed as you like.. It doesn't matter.

when you install a new version, it should take it's initial preference settings from the last installed version. therefore you might be best off in general by deleting old versions after installing new ones, rather than before.

your library should be a separate entity, and not effected

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri May 23, 2008 2:13 am

If you ever need access to old versions, it can usually be d/l'd by editing the numbers in the download links off the Ableton site.

(if you regret deleting a version, etc.)

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 23, 2008 2:17 am

If you delete 6 then you can enjoy the many benefits of having a version of Live that is not yet completely stable with no option to go back to a version that is.

Sounds like you need to invest in an external hard drive if space is an issue and just deleting an older version of Live is going to save your butt.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri May 23, 2008 2:21 am

longjohns wrote:well, since you're not really getting a straight answer

you can have as many or as few versions installed as you like.. It doesn't matter.

when you install a new version, it should take it's initial preference settings from the last installed version. therefore you might be best off in general by deleting old versions after installing new ones, rather than before.

your library should be a separate entity, and not effected
thank you

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri May 23, 2008 2:22 am

beats me wrote:If you delete 6 then you can enjoy the many benefits of having a version of Live that is not yet completely stable with no option to go back to a version that is.

Sounds like you need to invest in an external hard drive if space is an issue and just deleting an older version of Live is going to save your butt.
why you gotta talk shit about my lack of disk space?? Fuckin nerd.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri May 23, 2008 2:30 am

ScholarlyGent wrote:
beats me wrote:If you delete 6 then you can enjoy the many benefits of having a version of Live that is not yet completely stable with no option to go back to a version that is.

why you gotta talk shit about my lack of disk space?? Fuckin nerd.
I don't know what your setup is but I once had the grand dream of running my entire life on the internal drive of my Macbook Pro. About a year ago and currently 3 external drives into the chain I'm still looking for more space. If you don't use quality sample libraries or rip movies then maybe you're fine. More power to ya.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri May 23, 2008 2:32 am

Keep in mind that Library structures and file types change from version to version, so you might have some problems if you later try to go back to another version..

Although some of these comments have come at you with snarky attitude, you might take a deep breath and think about the consequences of upgrading/altering your Library.

$100 or whatever might start to seem pretty cheap if it lets you keep an extra copy of your Library in case you need to revert to Live 6.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri May 23, 2008 2:35 am

In fact I should amend my previous advice and make sure you understand that Live 6 -> Live 7 Library has some definite changes! A version switch should always be done by COPYING (i.e. DUPLICATING) your Library for use with the new version!