Bearded men ahoy, share your advice..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:24 am

forge wrote:
Angstrom wrote:
forge wrote: I had a religious studies teacher in year 12 who was telling us about Monkey and how it was kind of a dig from Japanese Buddhists at the Chinese Buddhists and they were kind of mocking them a bit
That was a popular theory, but it is actually based on a Chinese book and it was filmed in China too (with Japanese actors and for Japanese telly of course) so I doubt the Chinese would smile on a piss-take. Especially back then.

The book (Journey to the West) is a bit of a classic I hear and both Chinese and Japanese TV occasionally do modern versions with varying levels of seriousness.

I think that many people greatly over-thought what was essentially just a daft TV show. ;)
thing is there is definitely a strong Buddhist motivation behind it - there was once or twice watching it when I wondered if it was the equivalent of loony bin evangelical christian telly, but with the saving grace of being buddhist - but I also realised clearly that they had firmly in mind that it was ultimately a kids show, so yeah, probably over analysed by adults - i think the violent 'kung fu' like nature of it and the brutal comedy made a lot of people take it as more general, but I think in Japan kids telly is probably a lot more violent anyway
I can still clearly remember being a kid and seeing the bit where he pisses on Buddha's fingers. I was an instant fan. Even if I could never figure out why half the blokes were played by women!

It must have been hell growing up in a country which did not know how to summon a cloud. Every bloke my age once had an imaginary huge stick hidden in their ear. A lot of women too.

Beards!

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:26 am

ha ha yeah that episode is one one of the tapes I have

I wonder how many people have garden rake injuries as a result? I know it was always a disappointment for the one who had to be Pigsy but they at least got to swing a rake around

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:55 am

Dudes I went from page one directly to page 6 and can't for the life of me figure out how this thread went from beard advice to garden rakes. Sounds painful.

My advice is whenever someone asks you a question you have no clue how to answer, just stroke the beard. Works every time.
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:58 am

MartinOM28V wrote:Dudes I went from page one directly to page 6 and can't for the life of me figure out how this thread went from beard advice to garden rakes. Sounds painful.

My advice is whenever someone asks you a question you have no clue how to answer, just stroke the beard. Works every time.
:lol: whenever that happens you have to work your way back

astromass

Post by astromass » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:04 am

dude, grow yer beard out like ben bridwell of the band 'band of horses'. during a recent performance in philadelphia there was a heckler in the crowd making fu nof his beard, claiming, "oooo, i WISH i had a beard like that". ...he yelled this a few times and was really singling himself out in the crowd, then bid finally repied "you want a beard like mine? here, i'll shave off some of my pubes for ya (grabs his crotch, crowd goes nuts)....oh wait, i don't have any pubes! ". !!! classic.
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

The Crane

Post by The Crane » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:35 am

Chicks dig beards

(except the chicks who can't STAND beards)

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:15 am

sweetjesus wrote:
Meef Chaloin wrote:i have one whenever i can, cant really at the moment because of work though. i love em
what line of work are you in that you cant have a beard for?
oh just admin customer facing kind of stuff...i could have one i guess but would probably be frowned upon though

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Angstrom wrote:I knew that image reminded me of something,
uncanny resemblance!

actually it's kinda weird the background yellow is the same and even the crop angle. I demand that you start a band with a monk and a fishmonster and get up to all kinds of crazy escapades.
:D:D:D

this is fucking gold!!!

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:29 pm

I hate shaving also, so I generally rock the "Geaorge Michael" and use a beard trimmer on it's lowest setting every few days.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge