Who Gigs with Live using XP Pro or Home + Who uses OSX?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deepdirtydub

Who Gigs with Live using XP Pro or Home + Who uses OSX?

Post by deepdirtydub » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:32 am

Who Gigs with Live using XP Pro/Home or Mac OSX?

what have you noticed ... if anything?

i now know for a fact that PC's will outperform Macs as far as sheer performance (in most laptop situations) but how do the two sides compare as far as stability???

also do things like eq3/eq4 auto filter and so on ... do they run better with more ram or more ram AND a faster processor??

and one last thing how do you guys use the "Load Samples Into RAM" feature??? any benefits from using that feature?

secretagentgel

with xp home

Post by secretagentgel » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:54 am

ive tweaked it a lot and don't use too many effects - about 2 per 8 channels, 3 sends and a limiter on the master. works fine. tho i use the highest latency setting so the HD has lots of buffering time.

corey

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:43 am

I'm not sure why, but when an Ableton sponsored electronic event rolled through town a while ago 9 out of ten laptops were powerbooks. I think a lot of people doing powerbook jamming with Live are using Max/MSP or Pluggo along with it. The whole cut and paste app with the cut and paste plugs, and construction environment ideal.

It's an odd thing to me, most of the time I'm defending using macs, this is definitely Microsoft territory! but in live situations people tend to gravitate towards them, in the northwestern USA that is!

BUT! I'm so goddamed impressed with the Centrino mobile chips for laptop PCs, that I would say if you're a PC person to start with, get one of those, just make sure to let somebody else test the laptop for audio. I remember there seem to be forums were people post their experiences with different models of PC laptops, some of their experiences are horror stories!8O

So yeah, let someone else cry themselves to sleep every night, and try to instal drivers on a laptop that has hardware issues during the day!

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:02 am

i've used Live for about a year and a half now on stage.

7 months of that i was using a Powerbook G4 867mhz with OSX Panther, the rest of the time i was running XP (for a while with Pentium 4 1.7ghz, and now Athlon 64 3000)

both platforms were as stable as i could want.

D K

Post by D K » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:08 am

as a touring musician/engineer i see ALOT more macs used on the road than p.c.'s(overall... including production, management, merch, sound engineers)...one factor is probably the whole virus scenario... and size as well... and really decent turnaround capabilities for repair...that said, a large portion of the more successful lappy musicians all seem to use pc....probably due to greater cpu power, and increased affordability(gotta have a backup, the show must go on!)...and not just a few of those performers also write code...
i like mac because it's just easier for me...haven't had any performance issues *yet*... but have railed the cpu pretty hard lately,
probably in part because i like to load samples into ram..... since my internal is only 5400 rpm, it's either ram loading or an external....
(it's nice to keep it simple, if possible...)
dk

matias

Post by matias » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:02 am

gday,
I play alot in the live respect...using a narrowed down gear list i use a Dave Smith Rack mounted PC 3ghz with 2ghz ram, WinXp Pro, Moto 828, Access virus KC etc etc....Nothing goes past a rack mounted pc dedicated to the programs/vst's ure taking on stage. Ive playd over 12gigs with the same pc and hasnt crashd yet..

Just get some1 in the know to take everything off ure computer u dont need...evrything apart form pro's at hand...

I havent had ne dramas......

Matias

ryo74

Post by ryo74 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:50 am

I'm using a PowerBook G4 1 Ghz with 512 RAM,& i do both live & studio work for about almost 2 years now..........so far so good! 8)
15" PowerBook G4 FW800,1.67 Ghz,512,Live 4,Reason 2.5,ReCycle 2.1,FW410,Ozone.

nz

Mac

Post by nz » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:11 am

I have been using Live on a Mac G4 PowerBook and G4 tower for the past 2 years and it has been fabulous!

nz
MacBook Pro/Mac Mini
Ableton Live 10